MT FWP 2020 tag changes

larsencole

Lil-Rokslider
Was I the only one confused/misled by this? Below is a direct quote from the email I received from MT FWP back in January about their 2020 tag changes:

"Starting this year, both licenses and carcass tags will be printed on normal-sized paper, and license buyers will be able to print them at home....
What this means is hunters won’t have to wait for special permits or licenses to come in the mail from FWP, but rather will be able to print them at home or at their local license provider."

I was under the impression I could print carcass tags at home too. I was wrong. You can't. Maybe the rest of you MT hunters are smarter than me and already figured this out. I didn't figure it out until I bought my bear tag online the night before my planned hunt and then they tell me they will mail it within 10 days. I went back and read and re-read the email I got from MT FWP. They never specifically said you COULD print carcass tags, but they never said a thing about not being able to print them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mt100gr.

WKR
I printed all of my tags (resident)

If memory serves, upon the onset of covid restrictions and all the other uncertainty, I received an email that said tags would be mailed like the old days until things were sorted out.

OP
larsencole

larsencole

Lil-Rokslider
I printed all of my tags (resident)

If memory serves, upon the onset of covid restrictions and all the other uncertainty, I received an email that said tags would be mailed like the old days until things were sorted out.
I see. I probably got the email too but didn't read it carefully enough

Jardo

WKR
I heard they had a bug on the online system and some people weren’t able to print. It’s set up to allow you to only print once and it wasn’t working.

I haven’t tried to print mine yet. I guess I’ll have to try when I’m at work tomorrow. My printer is out of ink.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
My understanding is that they were having alot of people come into the FWP office to print the tags for them. Which wasn't a problem until the coronavirus shut downs started. At that point FWP decided they were going to mail out all tags, instead of mailing out some of them to people who couldn't print at home and now couldn't come into the office.

bsnedeker

WKR
My understanding is that they were having alot of people come into the FWP office to print the tags for them. Which wasn't a problem until the coronavirus shut downs started. At that point FWP decided they were going to mail out all tags, instead of mailing out some of them to people who couldn't print at home and now couldn't come into the office.

This is the official explanation from FWP for sure. Those that applied and bought their licenses really early in the application process were able to print them, but they shut it down midway through when the corona hit.

The best part was that it took them almost three weeks to get the tags mailed out so anyone who bought a bear or turkey tag did not get their tag in time so guess what those folks had to do: Go into a store (FWP had since closed all of their offices to the public), stand in line, and have someone print out their tags for them! Kind of defeated the purpose of the entire thing if you ask me!

OP
larsencole

larsencole

Lil-Rokslider
Finally found this in the email they sent me with the electronic version of my fishing lisence:

"IMPORTANT NOTICE:
Beginning March 1, 2020, FWP will no longer use specialized license paper. Licenses, permits and carcass tags will be printed on 8½” x 11” regular white paper. Carcass tags will be printed at FWP and mailed to you within 10 days of purchase. Non-carcass licenses can be printed at home or displayed electronically. Purchases requiring a decal/clip will be mailed to you within 10 days of purchase or successfully drawing the license. All licenses sales are final except as provided in ARM 12.3.402(1). No corrections, changes or withdrawals can be made after the department has received the application."

Only place I be seen where it specifically says I can't print carcass tags...

I printed all my sportsman tags initially. I just ran into my office to print off a turkey tag (home printer died on me) and it says it will be mailed to me. I called them up and was told they quit letting you print them because it was not working out so well. I thought it was pretty slick, although a bit more work when you buy all tags at once.

Why not give 2 options - print, or mail. Then no-one needs to come into the office. I have a feeling the system - both software and the process - wasn't fully tested before they went live and that's what's going on but once again, not a good look for Montana FWP.

I would like to give them some constructive feedback on this and actually something else, (it's not really my style to flame FWP on facebook) - what's the best way to do this?

OP
larsencole

larsencole

Lil-Rokslider
I printed all my sportsman tags initially. I just ran into my office to print off a turkey tag (home printer died on me) and it says it will be mailed to me. I called them up and was told they quit letting you print them because it was not working out so well. I thought it was pretty slick, although a bit more work when you buy all tags at once.

Why not give 2 options - print, or mail. Then no-one needs to come into the office. I have a feeling the system - both software and the process - wasn't fully tested before they went live and that's what's going on but once again, not a good look for Montana FWP.

I would like to give them some constructive feedback on this and actually something else, (it's not really my style to flame FWP on facebook) - what's the best way to do this?
I agree... 2 options seems practical!

bsnedeker

WKR
So has anyone who drew a general big game, elk or deer tag gotten theirs in the mail yet? I haven’t.

I got mine about two weeks after I bought them (about 3 days after I went into Cabela's to have them printed), but I'm a resident so I didn't have to wait for the draw.

mtnkid85

WKR
All my general tags got mailed to me quickly. I was surprised to see them come in the mail as I thought I was supposed to print them. But then I saw that they abandoned that idea.

I’m also a non resident dealing with the same issue. I called Scheels in Billings and they looked me up on the FWP computer and they said that they’re able to reprint the carcass tags for free. They said anywhere that sells licenses can print/reprint your carcass tags.

cgasner1

WKR
I’ve been against the Fwp apps that you punch your tag using the ap like Oregon but maybe Montana should go this route since they don’t wanna upgrade the printers seems like plain white paper tags your asking for some issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk