Moving to the UK and hunting/"Outdoorsing" options in Europe?

Ralphie

WKR
Start looking at hunts in Africa. They are a bunch of fun and ready made to accommodate a traveling hunter that needs to rent rifles. On a per animal basis it can be some of the most reasonable cost wise too.

jayhawk

WKR
It’d probably be waaaay cheaper and easier to do a hunt in Eastern Europe or Spain. Look at Czech Republic, Slovakia etc.

I think there’s a solid fly fishing community in the UK. Honestly, there’s more to life than hunting (yes I said it) and it sounds like a good career opportunity for you and it’s be a chance to experience another country for awhile.

OP
Blacktocomm

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
It’d probably be waaaay cheaper and easier to do a hunt in Eastern Europe or Spain. Look at Czech Republic, Slovakia etc.

I think there’s a solid fly fishing community in the UK. Honestly, there’s more to life than hunting (yes I said it) and it sounds like a good career opportunity for you and it’s be a chance to experience another country for awhile.
Yeah - I have found Spearo communities out there - I haven't looked too much at fly fishing.

But it is a life opportunity that comes with lots of benefits and few downsides (main downside no hunting and I can't go to Hawaii/Alaska every year). Nothing is in stone yet - but I have high hopes.

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
I lived in Scotland as an American. What worked for me is I didn't try to make it something it wasn't.

Instead of fighting bureaucracy for a firearm, do what they do best. Get proficient with a bow. Buy an air rifle there and perfect your squirrel recipes. Join a club for stalking, or orienteering, or wildlife ID. Tap into the amazing history of fly fishing. At first I thought of some of this as cross-training. Then I came to enjoy it in its own right. It did make me a better hunter here.

At the time I did not have the means for European or Scandinavian or African hunts. Airfare will be cheaper to all those locations, which might free up money for a good, full service outfitter.

By way of analogy, there's a reason British mountaineers are so prolific in the world scene. The terrain, weather, and land there can be fierce considering its small scale. It's a great training ground, but the word "training" truly undersells how amazing the wild lands are.

Last edited:

robtattoo

WKR
Yeah - I have found Spearo communities out there - I haven't looked too much at fly fishing.

But it is a life opportunity that comes with lots of benefits and few downsides (main downside no hunting and I can't go to Hawaii/Alaska every year). Nothing is in stone yet - but I have high hopes.

If you do get the job opportunity (and good luck, by the way. It sounds like a spectacular opportunity) do you have any idea where abouts in the UK you'll be based/living?

I might be able to help with a little local knowledge, if it's up in the north east.

It is only for a few years and there will be other experiences we have over there. Career wise it's a no brainer with crazy trajectory or great exit opps (can't be specific but it is kind of unicorn start-up type leadership levels).

So even if the hunting/firearms stuff is tough career wise I cannot say no if I win the job. I am just doing my final due diligence so if they come back with a yes I know all my options.
Where possible, just rent a firearm from the estate(s) that you'll be hunting on.

jayhawk

WKR
I lived in Scotland as an American. What worked for me is I didn't try to make it something it wasn't.

Instead of fighting bureaucracy for a firearm, do what they do best. Get proficient with a bow. Buy an air rifle there and perfect your squirrel recipes. Join a club for stalking, or orienteering, or wildlife ID. Tap into the amazing history of fly fishing. At first I thought of some of this as cross-training. Then I came to enjoy it in its own right. It did make me a better hunter here.

At the time I did not have the means for European or Scandinavian or African hunts. Airfare will be cheaper to all those locations, which might free up money for a good, full service outfitter.

By way of analogy, there's a reason British mountaineers are so prolific in the world scene. The terrain, weather, and land there can be fierce considering its small scale. It's a great training ground, but the word "training" truly undersells how amazing the wild lands are.
^^ This. Appreciate the opportunity for what it is, and just enjoy what the place has to offer.

bbell

WKR
You’ll do fine for hunting south of London.
There’s plenty of estates that you can find to hunt. Roe, red, fallow, Chinese water and muntjac deer. Very rough guess is about £150 for the day. Sometimes there are cull fees or you buy the carcass. Most seem to have an estate rifle.
There is so much history here, it’s pretty amazing to walk around and see. So many different cultures and with that so much good food!
We moved here almost two years ago and have really enjoyed it. I’m to cheap to pay an estate but probably will at some point just to have hunted here.

seww

WKR
You could try and search for hunting guides in the North of Sweden or Finland.
Many call that part of Europe "Europe's Alaska". It's pretty big, untouched country, plenty of moose (in Sweden they shoot just under 100k moose per year, on about 300k hunters). Bear hunting is gaining popularity due to the increased population and the native Swedes/Norwegians (reindeer herders) who don't like bears.

I can hook you up with my cousin in those parts, he used to guide small game hunters, think grouse or capercaillie, with dogs. He still has dogs and I bet he could help out if needed.

Many Southern Europeans travel that far to hunt big game since they cannot offer the same wilderness and experience.

OP
Blacktocomm

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
You could try and search for hunting guides in the North of Sweden or Finland.
Many call that part of Europe "Europe's Alaska". It's pretty big, untouched country, plenty of moose (in Sweden they shoot just under 100k moose per year, on about 300k hunters). Bear hunting is gaining popularity due to the increased population and the native Swedes/Norwegians (reindeer herders) who don't like bears.

I can hook you up with my cousin in those parts, he used to guide small game hunters, think grouse or capercaillie, with dogs. He still has dogs and I bet he could help out if needed.

Many Southern Europeans travel that far to hunt big game since they cannot offer the same wilderness and experience.
If I end up over there I will for sure look into this - and possibly reach out to get the intro to your cousin! Thanks a ton!

wavygravy

FNG
I moved to Germany last fall for a 3-4 year stint with my job. All above are correct and I left all my boom sticks with family while I'm away. I've done my homework on local-ish hunts and Austria, Romania, Spain, Poland are all great options for hunting in the quick flight range. After that look at Africa and some of the 'Stan countries if you're looking for bucket list hunts. You're already 1/3 of the way there so might as well take advantage of the cheaper flights. Most will rent you a gun for your hunt so you dont need to worry about it. Like the other dude says tho, enjoy the place for what it is. It's beautiful over here and nothing like a 2 hour flight for a weekend getaway to Italy.

seww

WKR
If I end up over there I will for sure look into this - and possibly reach out to get the intro to your cousin! Thanks a ton!
Yes sir!

I know that Southern Sweden and almost all of Europe have huge problems with wild hogs. I'm sure you can hunt them fairly cheaply too.

seww

WKR
Hard to get a gun, but suppressors are basically over the counter. Go figure :)
Pretty similar in Sweden too. You can own a maximum of 6 rifles, and I believe for the last two you have to explain your reasoning to the police, why you need them.
Usually you can get away with a different caliber or something. But it's a long process to get your gun permit, you need to pass both a written exam and shooting exams.

Handguns are super hard, you have to be an active member of a shooting club to possess and handgun larger than .22LR. You can get special permits for .22LR handguns if you hunt badgers and such, easier to reach in and kill them than with a rifle.

But once all of that is complete, it's pretty easy to get a suppressor for your rifles.