Moving to the UK and hunting/"Outdoorsing" options in Europe?

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
TLDR Up Top: Looking for good hunts in the Europe that are like the US backcountry or UK guided hunts I must do. Or any other advice for a few years of Ex-Pat life.

There is a 50/50 chance my family is asked to move to the UK for work . The expected timeline for us to be there is 2-4 years. I am new to big game hunting but fish and spear fished in my past.

I don't want to give up this new past time having hunted the past 3 years in the west. From podcasts, googling, and Rokslide searches it seems that in the UK there is no "public" hunting so I would have to use a guide (and most likely borrow their guns).

There is a decent "spearo" community I have seen on DeeperBlue so I think I am good there. But I am really looking for hunts that are either great guided hunts in the UK or EU countries I should visit to hunt there.

Advice on taking your own bolt guns or shotguns in a move to the UK or how to be a good "sportsman" out there would be welcome too.

OP
Blacktocomm

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
Bumping one time for advice on hunting overseas or good hunts to look for if I end up in the UK.

Or if people know or have tricks on how to take bolt actions or shotguns abroad for 3-5 years of living instead of just hunting trips.

ODB

WKR
Bumping one time for advice on hunting overseas or good hunts to look for if I end up in the UK.

Or if people know or have tricks on how to take bolt actions or shotguns abroad for 3-5 years of living instead of just hunting trips.

I would join one of the active international hunting sites like Africa Hunting. There are guys there from all over the world and probably have done what you want to do. The UK is no joke when it comes to guns, some makers even offer storage and the guns never leave the shop except for justified usage.

you might also get into contact with an importer/exporter like griffin and Howe and ask about their experience. They’ve done it for about 100 years.

Rich M

WKR
Imo, bringing guns is just gonna draw a lot of attention to you and your family. Perhaps some scrutiny you dont want.

I wouldnt do it.

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, it would be a no go for me too. Their gun and knife laws are redonkculous. If you have to go, don't let 'em turn you into an emasculated poof. 😉

ZDR

WKR
maybe Italy or Spain but the UK would be tough I think. I used to work in Munich and went to a gun store there to inquire about possibly deer hunting. They actually laughed at me and said it was impossible unless I was willing to wait a very long time as it would take years for me to go through the training.

OP
Blacktocomm

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck with this. I would find a new job before I moved there.
Well, the job helps me shortcut a promotion or two and get a very fancy title.

But I have debated moving to Idaho and getting a sweet cabin right next to public land and targeting the big elk I see everybody else getting out there. ;)
Yep, it would be a no go for me too. Their gun and knife laws are redonkculous. If you have to go, don't let 'em turn you into an emasculated poof. 😉
If the PNW didn't do it I don't think the UK can. :cool:

maybe Italy or Spain but the UK would be tough I think. I used to work in Munich and went to a gun store there to inquire about possibly deer hunting. They actually laughed at me and said it was impossible unless I was willing to wait a very long time as it would take years for me to go through the training.
It looks like guided hunts might be the only option - which isn't the worst option to roll to Scotland and hunt Red Stag once a year. Maybe I will even trade my wool for tweed and buy a vintage RangeRover.

robtattoo

WKR
Having spent the first 35 years of my life in that absolute effing void of a place, i can tell you first hand:

Guns? No. It's going to take you 2-4 years to actually buy a centerfire IF you become a citizen. You could get a .22 inside of 8 months IF you're a member of a target club & are prepared to store your rifle AT the club. Hunting permission on farmland? Not a cat in hell's chance. If by some miracle you DO pull that off, the police FAO will need to come & check the land to approve it for rifle hunting. Then come check your house to make sure you have the approved storage safes (1 for ammo, 1 for your firearm. Both bolted to at least 3 solid brick or concrete surfaces) with keyed entry & that nobody in your household has access to your keys but you.) Get a speeding ticket? You lost your guns. Post the wrong thing on social media? Lose your guns.
I cannot adequately describe just HOW anti-firearm the UK is. It honestly makes California, Chicago & NYC look outrageously conservative. Shit, most gun shops won't let you through the door without your firearms license & no, I'm not kidding.

Hunting? Not without extensive training, licensing & a rifle. Also, a red deer stalk in the Highlands is going to cost a fortune. And you don't get the meat. I mean, you can BUY the antlers back, if you want.....

European hunting: Easier than hunting the UK, but insanely prohibitive for non-gun owners.

You get the point.
You can move there, or you can hunt. Pick one.

OP
Blacktocomm

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
You get the point.
You can move there, or you can hunt. Pick one.
So long story short - if I want to hunt I am basically flying back to the states every year or I am trying to figure out somewhere like NZ or Africa or something.
I would join one of the active international hunting sites like Africa Hunting. There are guys there from all over the world and probably have done what you want to do. The UK is no joke when it comes to guns, some makers even offer storage and the guns never leave the shop except for justified usage.

you might also get into contact with an importer/exporter like griffin and Howe and ask about their experience. They’ve done it for about 100 years.
I am joining one of those forums and might just end up hunting abroad every time I want to hunt. So going to be super spendy and probably something I need to plan in my budget if I head out that way.

Reactions: ODB
On one of your trips back to the states, can you bring a pup back home for me?! I'm wanting to import a Slovakian Wirehair :ROFLMAO: There are a few kennels in the UK.

robtattoo

WKR
Here's an England firearms law example:

I have a really good friend in north Yorkshire who hunts. Known the dude for 20-odd years now. We've traded stuff internationally since I moved here (Hornady .264 & .284 SST are literally 1/8th the cost here)
I asked him to see about grabbing me some 232gr 9.3mm Norma Vulkan bullets, since they're super hard to find here & common as dirt in Europe.

Nope. Can't do it. He doesn't own a 9.3, so he cannot legally purchase 9.3 projectiles. Not loaded ammo, bullets. Insert lead cores in a copper case. If he's found in possession of just 1, even picking one up at the range & taking it home, without notifying his FAO to get a modification to his license he'll immediately have his license revoked, lose his rifles & face prosecution with a mandatory fine & UP TO 5 YEARS IN PRISON.

They do NOT mess around over there. And British police are bad ass too. They don't carry guns so they have to run you down & kick you to death.

OP
Blacktocomm

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
They do NOT mess around over there. And British police are bad ass too. They don't carry guns so they have to run you down & kick you to death.
Well good news is I was competitive in track for most of my life 🏃‍♂️ - so I think I have an upper hand on running.

Honestly it seems I am locking and leaving my firearms and most likely knives behind. R.I.P. And I guess either flying back or down to other countries to hunt will be the ticket.

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
I was literally just at a party (friends of my daughters I was forced) with A bunch of Europeans and Canadians. Got a little heated when me and the one other American there took offense to their gun ideas. I had a disdain for England and Canada already but I'll tell you what after that party I honestly see that us and them are living in different universes. They really couldn't understand when I told them they aren't free and no American sees them as a free people. Good luck with that.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy Charlie Jacoby runs Fieldsports in the UK, he'd be an excellent resource. I had him on my podcast last year about UK hunting. I have two others from France and Spain that'll drop soonish. But if you go west, you'll find those more alpine settings that you'll really be looking for.

OP
Blacktocomm

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
I was literally just at a party (friends of my daughters I was forced) with A bunch of Europeans and Canadians. Got a little heated when me and the one other American there took offense to their gun ideas. I had a disdain for England and Canada already but I'll tell you what after that party I honestly see that us and them are living in different universes. They really couldn't understand when I told them they aren't free and no American sees them as a free people. Good luck with that.
It is only for a few years and there will be other experiences we have over there. Career wise it's a no brainer with crazy trajectory or great exit opps (can't be specific but it is kind of unicorn start-up type leadership levels).

So even if the hunting/firearms stuff is tough career wise I cannot say no if I win the job. I am just doing my final due diligence so if they come back with a yes I know all my options.

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
It is only for a few years and there will be other experiences we have over there. Career wise it's a no brainer with crazy trajectory or great exit opps (can't be specific but it is kind of unicorn start-up type leadership levels).

So even if the hunting/firearms stuff is tough career wise I cannot say no if I win the job. I am just doing my final due diligence so if they come back with a yes I know all my options.
I don't blame you at all. We all make sacrifices for family. It's what we do as men. I actually just retired early, thought I was gonna sail off into the sunset. People managed to track me down and make a very good offer on another job. Hard to say no when you wanna give your family everything. Just being around those people in that party made me sick. I do not envy you. Get ready for being the oddball out.