Moving to Alaska

fatbacks

WKR
If you plan on having any ATV's, SXS or snow machines perhaps wee if you can get a gfood deal down in the lower 48? Not sure if they are cheaper down there but may be worth a look.

SwampBone

FNG
Everything is cheaper in the lower 48. I made the move a couple years ago. The more stuff you can bring the more money you’ll save in the long run. I dont think i seen it mentioned but I would bring a tire plug kit and a way to air up a tire. (12v compressor, or generator and a pancake) something. Also have 10-15 gallons of emergency gas/diesel

chasewild

WKR
I have noticed that there does appear to be more four wheelers side-by-side for sale up here than down in the lower 48.

The cost of living is much higher up here. I’m trying to think of ways where you could offset that for the first year. I’ll PM you if I have any other thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
Disagree about everything costing less in the lower 48. Some things yes, trailers and boats for certain.
Don't forget Alaska has no state sales tax. When I lived in TN I would of been required to pay 9.5% on a ATV.
As I mentioned before, Lowes pricing is the same for Alaska (not sure about lumber) as it is for the lower 48. And Costco has mostly similar pricing. When you factor in no sales tax the items actually cost less up here.
We paid an extra $100 shipping for a Costco 4 piece living room set ($4,500) to be delivered to Anchorage. If we still lived in the lower 48 sales tax would of been much higher than $100. That is just one example.
As far as Lowes go when we moved here I purchased 2 new tool chests, miter saw, compressor, etc. All cost me less in Alaska due to no sales tax.
Just do a little homework and decide for yourself and buy accordingly.
MSRP for new vehicles is the same in Alaska as it is in the lower 48, including the shipping charges.