Moving to Alaska

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Yeah, Kenai and Soldotna are practically one and between the two there is most everything you will find in towns in the lower 48. It is actually easier to find reloading supplies and ammo there than in Anchorage.

When I moved up I disposed of anything that would not fit in my vehicles or trailer and did not regret it, and I spent my first 2 years on an island in Ketchikan.

I recommend barging your trailer up to Whittier, put all guns and ammo in it. For the most part US customs has given me more trouble than Canadian, but spending hours sitting around while a vehicle gets searched is pretty obnoxious.

If you number your boxes and list contents, then have receipts to prove you shipped any guns that are not allowed, it can make your life easier.

They will ask if you own guns, they might ask the types, and they will ask what you did with them. Answer with confidence and smoothly and life is easier, answer otherwise and you can expect to be repacking your stuff. That said, were you cross matter, Alberta boarder checks are laxer than Vancouver area in my experience.

The drive is fine, even in the winter, so long as you have good tires. Plenty of places to get gas, even in the winter, but plan ahead if driving at night as they may not be open.