Moving From Alaska back home to Colorado

Elc1973

FNG
Hey guys last year my family and I moved to Alaska, things were great for the first 6 months or so but the kids never really adjusted. A few weeks ago my wife and I were talking and decided to Move back home. mostly for the kids but we all feel that we were just happier back home. Any way im kinda torn, I Love the hunting here and in Colorado, Im trying to be happy but at the same time feel that we didn't give it a fair chance. I guess the most important thing is that my kids and wife are happy. Im sure things will be fine, everyone is very happy back home and I haven't seen my kids like this since before we left home. I guess that's my answer right there. Anyway thanks for letting me vent a little.

Snyd

WKR
Do what's best for your family and enjoy life in CO. Alaska will be here for a while, you're young yet. You never know what the future holds.

Did the legalization of marijuana have any influence on your decision to move back home? If so, we will be voting on the exact same prop in Aug. So you may want to wait around to see how things turn out. :)

kodiakfly

WKR
I dread the day I have to leave here again. But part of that dread is not knowing where I'd be going. If you're going back to CO, that's not a bad thing. You could be going back to (insert any crappy part of the country here). CO still has animals to hunt and shoot and it's not a bad place to be. If your family is happy, you're good to go.

Stid2677

WKR
I'm sure your mind is already made up, but I will just say this. Myself and my family moved over 8 times during my 20 years in the Army. After each move the wife and kids hated each new place for the first year or so, and never wanted to leave when it came time to move again and once at the new place they hated it for a year again and then wanted to stay forever.

Having lived in Fairbanks for 10 years now and my wife still being in the Army we have known a lot of families that have moved here. Many hated it and could not wait to leave,, but before long they could not dream of living anywhere else and many have left the Army and returned to retire here.

If you can endure a winter or two and let them enjoy all summer has to offer and also incorporate some winter activities, snow boarding, snow machining, snow shoeing etc.... Give them time to make new friends, feelings change... I speak to this from experience. Making the decision to move is easy in January,, not so much during the summer.

Good luck either way and best wishes.

Steve

The bottom line is, Alaska is not for everyone. I think the fact that we are one of, if not the least populated states in the US speaks volumes to this. Alaska is not for probably over 99% of the population of this country. I've been here for over 22 years and I'm still on the fence about whether or not to stay. I figure I'll give it probably another 25 years or so and then make my decision. :)

60x

WKR
The bottom line is, Alaska is not for everyone. I think the fact that we are one of, if not the least populated states in the US speaks volumes to this. Alaska is not for probably over 99% of the population of this country. I've been here for over 22 years and I'm still on the fence about whether or not to stay. I figure I'll give it probably another 25 years or so and then make my decision. :)

Completely agree.. It's tough here at times no doubt. Then I see my kids and how great it is to raise them here and it reminds me I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.... Well except maybe tahati on the beach having drinks served to me by.... Well a fellow can dream any way..

Elc1973. You are a good person to put the need of your family first! The best of luck to you in your future..

hflier

WKR
I think it takes about 2+ years to know if you like or not. Whenever I have moved, my wife and kids always hated it for about a year or two and then they didn't want to leave after that. It takes that long to get screwed in socially. The first year everyone is whining how they missed the last place too much to get happy in the new place. I do agree, that Alaska is a lot different though and unless you are wanting to get off grid so to speak and that is a joint decision with the wife and kids, it would probably be hard to have the family happy. Although Colorado is one of my favorite states, it is now a liberal haven and the cost of living is high. Drive back from AK, stop in Idaho and never leave.

OP
E

Elc1973

FNG
Thanks guys for understanding. We won't be leaving till June so a lot can happen between now and then. I'd really love to stay I think we just need to get over the hump so to speak.