Mountainsmith mountain shelter lt

Manosteel

WKR
How you guys mountainsmith.. Was I accurate? =-) Damn Fine shelter aye...

Got mine in the mail last week. Great floorless shelter. Set it up in the back yard. A palace for one and enough room for two. I am 5"10" and 185lbs, it seemed like a palace to me coming from my 1 man MSR Hubba. Well made and had no problem taking the thunder storms we had last week in the city. Hard rain with medium winds and it was nice and dry inside. I forgot to check before I packed it away but were the seams pre-sealed or do you have to seal them yourself?

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
Got a chance to set mine up last night while it was pouring rain(I was getting impatient). Today turned out better but with quite a bit of wind in the afternoon. So far I like it. Wouldn't want two guys in it on a late season hunt for sure! And still not sure if a stove/stove jack is the right way to go, thinking it is a bit on the small side...

Changed out the guy lines and put seam grip on all the corners that get stressed. Will test it out a bit more before sheep season starts and make the final decision whether it will be coming along or not.

Manosteel

WKR
Great pics Dave. What did you replace the guylines with? Are you going to use the ground steaks it came with? For my moose and elks hunts I can see using the ones it came with but when I'm in the mountains chasing sheep not so sure.
I am with you on the stove, a little tight unless you were going it alone and even then you would want a small one.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I love this Tarp Tent. Had it out this weekend with 45 mph gusts and it took it like it was nothing. So its passed most of my tests.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I love this Tarp Tent. Had it out this weekend with 45 mph gusts and it took it like it was nothing. So its passed most of my tests.

Right on man...what are you using to measure the gusts...I need a good wind meter.

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
Great pics Dave. What did you replace the guylines with? Are you going to use the ground steaks it came with? For my moose and elks hunts I can see using the ones it came with but when I'm in the mountains chasing sheep not so sure.
I am with you on the stove, a little tight unless you were going it alone and even then you would want a small one.

I replaced the guy lines with a cord that I buy in bulk, just like it more than what the shelter came with, all my tents get the same treatment. The tensioners were replaced with a standard two hole alloy tensioner. I wasn't quite sold on the plastic ones it came with and the alloy tensioners have never let me down so again, most of my tents get these. I get kind of picky on the small things sometimes ;)

As far as stakes or pegs go I went with MSR needle stakes for now but will probably go with a combo of those and MSR Groundhogs. Don't really like the ones it came with either but they are a bit lighter than the Groundhogs.

I still need some time with it in real world conditions, not in our front yard. I have mentioned this before that allot of the places we hunt it can be very hard to find a place to get a stake in the ground, sometimes next to impossible. I will test it more with big rocks, trees etc. at least for the guy lines and see how it goes. Was going to do that today as we have lots of big rocks in our field but ran out of time.

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider

As I mentioned above it got pretty windy yesterday, probably 50-60 km's per hour at times which is a light breeze for our area. The shelter never even really moved. I have no doubt that it can probably take a lot more than that without issue as long as it is properly pitched and kept tight.

edg1967

WKR
I want to hear how the stove worked with this set up?

Enough room?

I put a stove jack in mine for my Para-stove (refer to my pics on an earlier post on page 3 or 4, maybe). With a stove there would be plenty of room for one, but two might be a little cozy...Brokeback Mt. Style.

ScottP

WKR
I want to hear how the stove worked with this set up?

Enough room?

I'll let you know in a week? or so. Mine is on its way back from bearpaw wilderness with the stove jack sewn in, and I have to finish my DIY redneck stove. In my estimation, it will be best to use no pole at the short end of the tarp (tie off to a tree) so you can get the person on the stove side down away from it some. That is if you are trying to stuff two guys in there. I got this setup for me and the wife, or soloing.

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
So I recently added some more guy out points to help fine tune this shelter for high winds and to keep everything nice and tight. I added five more small webbing loops(two on each side and one on the left side door). I will use a small loop of cord and rocks to help keep things nice and tight. Haven't decided yet but a small loop of shock cord might work better.

Also ordered the Seek Outside Big Sibling stove with a stove jack and will take more pics once it shows up and I sew in the jack.

siblings__57276.1362521541.1280.1280.JPG

weaver

WKR
I bought edg's setup. There is plenty of room for 1 guy and gear with the stove in. Like he said 2 would be a little intimate:sly:

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Would love to see more Photos of stoves working in the Mountain LT. I think I can pitch this with my Mega Tarp and really make a giant Palace with 3 Poles. The Center Pole would be doubled up. I am going to see how this works. hehe fun stuff. Loving the Tarps.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Love it. Wouldnt sell mine for anything. Its not as good of material as the kifaru ones but I love the zippered Door and its well built. Spent probably close to 3 weeks total in mine last year.

weaver

WKR
I spent 20 nights in mine this past year. I shared it with a partner for six of those nights on an elk hunt. I also ran a stove on the elk hunt. Was a bit crowded to say the least.
I did tear one of the stake loops off on a hiking trip while attempting to pull a stubborn stake.
Overall i think its a great 1 man shelter and doable for 2 people.
At the price point i dont think it can be beat.

Last edited: