Mountain bikes

jmez

WKR
I ride a Specialized with full suspension, love the bike. I would recommend you go full, it makes a huge difference on rough terrain. I just ride to keep in shape for elk hunting, nothing technical and am very glad I went with an FSR. I'll never ride a hard tail again.

I don't run, ever. You can use the bike in place of running and be fit for the mountains. Just have to ride a ways, keep the pedals turning and get into some steep stuff. You start biking in steep country I think you'll find that you would much rather jog up most hills than pedal a bike over them.

These guys know way more about bikes than I do but whatever brand you decide get a full suspension ride.

KMT

WKR
Riding a mountain bike can be great for legs and cardio. I will not run, ever. There are plenty of trails along the front range that will let you push yourself on the climbs. In fact, most front range trails have one thing in common. You leave the parking lot and begin a grueling climb of 30-45 minutes. For me, there is nothing enjoyable about the climb. But you get rewarded twice for your effort. You get the benefit of a workout and an adrenalin filled downhill ride. Go with a full suspension bike with at least 5" of travel for front range trails ( Apex, Dakota ridge, mt falcon, white ranch).

Ride a few bikes before buying one. You might think you have to have a yeti only to learn that the stumpy fits you like a glove.

Good luck and have fun!

OP
Y

Yukondog

WKR
Good info guys. Keep it coming...

26 or 29? What are the benefits to both. I'm guessing that is a personal feel thing yet it seems most are wanting a 29er. I've been looking at used bikes and most are 26ers with the owners selling to get a 29er. Being new to this I don't have a firm grip on the differences in performance.

KMT

WKR
You can do a quick internet search and find all kinds of reasons why either the 26 or 29er is going to be the bike of the future. I like the 26 and don't see myself changing anytime in the near future. I have friends that are sold on the 29er, though. I like the way my 26 feels and rides. It's kind of like the Coke vs Pepsi, Ford vs Chevy, or fixed blade vs mechanical debate.

Curtis C

WKR
You wanna primarily ride stuff like this

highres_19786888 (Small).jpg

or this?
Monarch Crest 9-11-2011 005 (Small).jpg

I had a big long post typed and then closed the page:mad: so tell us what type of riding you think you want to do primarily. ask you friends that ride what places they think you will like and where they would take you

OP
Y

Yukondog

WKR
The single track will be my style with nice rewards of the downhill coming home. Should I feel frisky I may try the rock climbing stuff. To me when I see that picture I think broken collor bone or wrist. Safe bet is the single track. I have been told the 26er is best for technical rides and the 29er for the single track rides you have pictured.

Good stuff.

Curtis C

WKR
That singletrack is on the Monarch Crest. a 35 mile ride with great views, riding at 11K, Elevation = 3500' of gain and 6000' of loss:). One of the best rides I have done and definitely a great workout. I rode it on my Yeti 29er hardtail. The only thing that I would have changed is to have a little suspension on that ride. I built the Epic 29er(4" suspension) and I think it is the perfect bike for me on rides like Monarch. Had I been on my 575 I think I would have come up short on completing the whole ride.

I would say the same that 26er for techy and 29er for XC. Remember before 29ers came out we were riding all these trails on FS 26er, hardtails, and rigids. They can all ridden on any of these bikes so its a lot of personal preference.

If you think you will like riding the bottom pic best you really should ride a few 29ers. At 6'4" I think you will like the big wheels best on those trails.

When I was buying the Epic frame the shop was trying to sell me a complete epic 29er for $1800. It was a 2011 bike and I was buying a 2011 frame after the 2012 bikes started hitting the floors.

Find a shop that has a few bikes you would consider. Ride them in their lot to verify you might like them. Ask about their rental/demo program. Most shops will apply all rental fees toward the purchase of a new bike. rent the ones you are looking at for a few days at a time and ride them. make sure you pic at least one trail that all the bikes get ridden on. One will stand out above the rest.

Golden Bike shop will let you ride their bikes up Apex trail without renting. You could pic a few and spend the day demoing their rides.
Wheat Ridge Cycle has a good selection
Pro Cycling here in COS has Specialized and Yeti on the floor. you could probably take one at a time over to a nearby park for a quick ride

OP
Y

Yukondog

WKR
Great advise on the rental/demo route! I will have to check out the Golden shop to see what they have. Would be good to ride several different bikes back to back to get a good feel for them. Awesome info on this thread for a rookie!

firecog

FNG
I'm coming into this thread kind of late, and maybe too late if you bought your bike already, but one brand to check out for a guy your size is Gary Fisher (29er-no question). I think the Genesis geometry is dialed in much better for taller riders.

Lawnboi

WKR
My next bike will be a specialized stump jumper Single speed with a rigid front fork.

I have been single track biking for a while now, though I only bike in WI which is alot different than what you guys in the west probably do. One reason i cant wait to move out west is to bike!

Around here we have some very very bumpy trails, roots, rocks ect. I prefer a hard fork over anything.... just me though. Lesson is try a few out to learn what you want. Some like a cushy ride of a full suspension, some like nothing.
Picking a bike is kind of like picking a bow, there all pretty good, just need to find what fits you and your budget best. People will tell you all day to go buy bike 'X' but really the only way to know what you want is to go out and ride a few. Same thing with 26ers vs 29ers, all about what you want, it has nothing to do with the terrain your on imo.

Single speed single track biking is one of the best workouts i have! Single speed really forces me to use all of my body, and best yet it is fun!

Single speed single track biking is one of the best workouts i have! Single speed really forces me to use all of my body, and best yet it is fun!

Couldn't agree more, here's my Bianchi SS with custom paint job (urban camo w/ candy apple green clear coat and flamed wood rigid fork):
file_zps90a0db19.jpg

klxracer92

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Giant Boulder (26er hardtail) and absolutely love it! It has gone about 2 years without any major maintenance. I broke the rear axle twice within the two years. I ride it pretty hard, lots of single trails, downhills and little jumping. About a $15 fix, if you know what your doing. I would still incorporate running maybe once to three times a week. Running emphasizes on the hip adductors , which helps stabilize your knees.

unm1136

WKR
I have been riding a mountain bike in an urban setting for the last decade and a half or so. I vastly prefer a ridgid frame. My first bike was a Gary Fisher soft tail. I think that unless you are vaulting off of things greater than 24" high you lose more than you gain from a suspension. Your pedaling efficiency goes way down as you apply power some of it is lost to the suspension. I found it much easier do bump turns and other low speed maneuvers as well as riding up steps or high curbs. All of these are competencies, and I am much happier with my current cannondale than my original bike. I really don't mind a front suspension, but I find it easier to get out of trouble with the rigid frame. That said I haven't ridden a soft tail in the last ten years or so, so maybe advancements in technology have reduced the differences that I have seen.

pat

Drdantdc

FNG
I have been riding a mountain bike in an urban setting for the last decade and a half or so. I vastly prefer a ridgid frame. My first bike was a Gary Fisher soft tail. I think that unless you are vaulting off of things greater than 24" high you lose more than you gain from a suspension. Your pedaling efficiency goes way down as you apply power some of it is lost to the suspension. I found it much easier do bump turns and other low speed maneuvers as well as riding up steps or high curbs. All of these are competencies, and I am much happier with my current cannondale than my original bike. I really don't mind a front suspension, but I find it easier to get out of trouble with the rigid frame. That said I haven't ridden a soft tail in the last ten years or so, so maybe advancements in technology have reduced the differences that I have seen.

pat
The old Gary Fisher's were junk compared to a modern full suspension. But if you are just riding urban, a hard tail is fine. You should try a new soft tail, they are so much damn fun!