Most Comfortable Vehicle for Forest Roads

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Amen. Got some 35s on my 570 recently and really looking forward to my Colorado trip next month

My old and stock lexus gx470 has surprised me this way. AWD great and 4 is there when you need it. Stock clearance sucks, MPGs suck, but comfy as all get out. With the rear seats removed it's a good hauler too. Would be easy to mod out but it fits my needs and I just accept its limits.

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
What size are those tires, and how much air is in them? Looks to be way too much air in them.
33x10.5, probably right: way too much. I think I aired them up for a big highway trip in the Spring, left them there for daily driving and completely forgot to think about airing them down.

I am always surprised by how many people are afraid of airing their tires down. A relatively inexpensive 12v compressor can be had for less than $200. Lowering the tire air pressure to 15-20 lbs makes a HUGE difference in ride quality when driving on rough two track roads.

2019Remi

FNG
I am always surprised by how many people are afraid of airing their tires down. A relatively inexpensive 12v compressor can be had for less than $200. Lowering the tire air pressure to 15-20 lbs makes a HUGE difference in ride quality when driving on rough two track roads.
100% ! Airing down is by far the biggest contributor to a smoother ride

Airing down can make pretty much anything tolerable to drive on rough roads, but depending how much time you spend in the woods, can get old really fast.

Colorado ZR2, perfect hunting rig. Fly down those backroads going 60 and feeling nothing.

Not speaking from personal experience, of course...

Trailhawk cherokee is quite comfy. Suspension eats up the bumps pretty well, it crawls up rough trails without issue, room in the back to sleep, AC and vented seats for the hot days and heated seats/steering wheel for the cold mornings. Plus it gets decent MPGs especially considering its off road capability.

OP
L
Trailhawk cherokee is quite comfy. Suspension eats up the bumps pretty well, it crawls up rough trails without issue, room in the back to sleep, AC and vented seats for the hot days and heated seats/steering wheel for the cold mornings. Plus it gets decent MPGs especially considering its off road capability.
Actually those new ones look super interesting with their locking difs as well as adjustable ride height for hwy or trails. There's not a work model so the prices seem more like the mid-equipped trucks, which is a healthy amount.

The 4Xe that can go 20+ miles all electric for daily around town driving would be nice.

CorbLand

WKR
Colorado ZR2, perfect hunting rig. Fly down those backroads going 60 and feeling nothing.

Not speaking from personal experience, of course...
I know a guy that has allegedly fit a first gen tundra down a couple four wheeler trails…allegedly.

My buddy’s newish 4Runner was comfortable. My other buddies Dodge 2500 diesel pickup, absolutely terrible. Gut buster for sure.

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
cba83a816ef9f2600d852ae8ec5a5091.jpg

Audi Q5 with 1.5” lift and larger than stock tires.
About 10” of ground clearance, not a complete off road machine but is perfect for washed out logging roads. Can’t afford a truck and a commuter car so turned this into both so to speak. My buddy thought it was out of my mind until we took it off road and went anywhere we needed it to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2531usmc

WKR
I was always under the impression that airing down the tires (15-20 lbs) dramatically decreases the life of the tire because it breaks down the sidewall. Is this just an old wives tale that has no basis in fact?

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
Valid point. I've been using a sxs this past year and parked many times at a turnout to head off on foot for the night. Speed it is super comfy for bumps but also limited by safety on blind turns.

That said, even the "quiet" ones are loud compared to a normal vehicle with engine and wind noise. Some do have lux and tight cabs, but mine's not one of them.

If I have to scout or travel a lot of ground via forest roads, probably hard to beat the sxs, but if you pretty much know your area it does tempt me into a comfortable forest road enclosed vehicle.
Wait until the battery powered units become more common and useful https://ranger.polaris.com/en-us/2022/ranger-ev/

Bluumoon

WKR
Seems to be a common setup in mountain towns: husband drives a Tacoma, Tundra or 4Runner, wide has a Subaru: Subaru gets driven on FS roads and powder days. I wouldn’t be a fan of one on the chunky stuff or epic mud puddles, but they sure do handle these tooth jarring turns well. Just need some 10 ply tires.
I am the stereo type..... Wife has an Outback, I have a Tundra for hunting and towing, didn't feel CO enough so I got a 100 series Land Cruiser for a daily driver.

dtrkyman

WKR
I was always under the impression that airing down the tires (15-20 lbs) dramatically decreases the life of the tire because it breaks down the sidewall. Is this just an old wives tale that has no basis in fact?
Probably not on a 10 ply type tire, a light truck tire would probaly not be a good idead to run 15 psi. on rocks often, I roll on 25lbs or so if I am off road for days at a time, if I am on and off I keep em about 28 so the stupid tire light is not on!

I also run them a few pounds high on the road to even things out, my tires are down to 6/32 and still even, I am off road daily for weeks at a time when guiding. Roatate often!

My tires are LT not 10 ply or E rated and I have not had any issues.

NateTP38

Lil-Rokslider
cba83a816ef9f2600d852ae8ec5a5091.jpg

Audi Q5 with 1.5” lift and larger than stock tires.
About 10” of ground clearance, not a complete off road machine but is perfect for washed out logging roads. Can’t afford a truck and a commuter car so turned this into both so to speak. My buddy thought it was out of my mind until we took it off road and went anywhere we needed it to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For those that use SUVs as hunting rigs, how do you haul animals in the back? Tarp? Painter's drop cloth? Some kind of rubber/Weathertech mat?

I don't have much use for a truck bed other than carrying a couple of a deer per year. I would happily move to a smaller SUV if there was an easy way to haul critters without leaving a mess.