Montana elk and deer draw

Shrek

WKR
I'm thinking it's 10 days out. This is my first year applying and it's burning my mind up ! How consistent is Montana's draw dates? Between waiting for my bikini and the Montana draw results it's getting hard to get to sleep.

littlebuf

Banned
i don't know much about there time frame but I can tell you if its your first year applying I wouldn't drive myself too crazy waiting for results. your chances are pretty slim

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Just a general tag and they have had leftovers for the last few years so I should be good to go. If not , Colorado here I come !

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I didn't renew my deer club membership this week and it's kind of hard on me not having anything in hand for this fall. The weekends I would be planting , mowing roads , filling feeders , and collecting pictures are now going to be filled with training hikes alone.

I don't know what results Littlebuff is talking about, but you are about guaranteed an elk or a deer/elk combo if you applied. I don't know about the deer combo odds. I heard from a very good source that MT will be even more undersold than they were last year so it is highly likely there will be OTC tags available.

Results on all should be out in about a week or two.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for the info - my buddy and I were just wondering over lunch if we would see the results soon. We applied for deer combo. Does anybody else think MT has the most convoluted system out there?? Can't we just put in for deer/elk/antelope. Goofy as all heck with no purpose that I can see... and you have to draw the general tag to put in for the limited hunts. OK, I feel better now.

DC

Craig4791

WKR
Thanks for the info - my buddy and I were just wondering over lunch if we would see the results soon. We applied for deer combo. Does anybody else think MT has the most convoluted system out there?? Can't we just put in for deer/elk/antelope. Goofy as all heck with no purpose that I can see... and you have to draw the general tag to put in for the limited hunts. OK, I feel better now.

DC

Agreed! This was my first year putting in for MT and out of all of the western states i thought it was the most confusing for sure. I am in for a deer/elk combo Lic myself.

Sheep, Moose, Goat, Bison and Antelope were quite simple though.

Last edited:

Solitude

WKR
Very convoluted system, and I put in for a strong 6 states every year. All I can figure is they want to reward the guys who really want to put in the effort to figure out MT. It's definitely not a 10 min exercise at lunch time to submit your online application like many of the other states. But it's a fabulous state that has treated me well over the years.

jmez

WKR

DC

Agree, complicated system to say the least. Did you have to call and talk to anyone there on the phone with a question? You think the application process is bad. All I can say is if you have to call, bring your patience and be fully prepared to be even more confused when you get off of the phone.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
It didn't seem all that bad to me and they are a better value than Colorado. I'm just getting into this game and Wyoming , Idaho , and Wyoming seem to offer a little more time to hunt the tag. They all seem outrageously expensive and are pricing working class people out. I was just applying for the general combo so that may have made it easier.

Darin,

There were likely enough applicants that they had to do a draw on the NR deer combos. The demand on those has always been higher.

Anyone that applied for the elk or deer/elk combo could probably be pretty safe planning your vacation time already. I'm betting you'll see several thousand leftovers that will be sold OTC. Last year you could still buy an OTC combo license on opening day of rifle season clear through November.

If I'm wrong you can stone me.:cool:

Whisky

WKR
Anyone that applied for the elk or deer/elk combo could probably be pretty safe planning your vacation time already. I'm betting you'll see several thousand leftovers that will be sold OTC. Last year you could still buy an OTC combo license on opening day of rifle season clear through November.

If I'm wrong you can stone me.:cool:

Hehehe, well, I applied for it this year...."Kiss of death".. if my track record is any indication, you all can blame me when all of a sudden this year they are oversold and people get denied, my self included.