Montana, did the price really go up again??

jm1607

WKR
Last year it cost me $83 to apply for goat:

$50 app fee + $20 point fee + $10 conservation stamp + $3 in fees

This year it says I have to also buy a "base hunting license for $15" and auto-adds it to my cart..

Oh, and the $3 fee went up to $5 lol?

So now it costs $100 to apply?? WTF is happening in Montana?

Think I may just say screw my points and quit, I don't have that many...

Last edited:
The legislature in MT hates FWP. The price increases are aimed at keeping FWP funded into the future. $100 is not that much to apply for a goat permit.

The legislature in MT hates FWP. The price increases are aimed at keeping FWP funded into the future. $100 is not that much to apply for a goat permit.

Watching it go from $20 to $100 over the last few years is kind of rough..

Seems expensive to me! ;) WY costs $14, CO costs $3 if you're already applying to other species, NV costs $16.50 if your already applying also..

I apply to 12 different states and it's my most expensive permit by far..

I guess WA has them beat by a couple bucks.. ID does too, but they have everybody beat with everything lol

Ya, I think I'm done giving MT money.. I'm not in it too deep to quit

MT is the worst state in my opinion. Its a long drive from Houston and they just want to much for their lottery tickets. With odds that long I don't mind states like WY that take it all up front but like you said I get all back but $14.

I feel if you have a hunt lined up its a great place you can just buy a tag but not worth building points.

MT is the worst state in my opinion. Its a long drive from Houston and they just want to much for their lottery tickets. With odds that long I don't mind states like WY that take it all up front but like you said I get all back but $14.

I feel if you have a hunt lined up its a great place you can just buy a tag but not worth building points.

I think you're exactly right. I definitely take driving distance into consideration and it's my furthest away app (even though the goat units I app for are on the southern border) besides my NE moose lotteries..

The new fee is a scam too. For any state, I understand making you buy a license. I "kind of" understand some sort of cheap conservancy stamp. A couple bucks in CC fees no problem (although NV gouges you). But a $15 fee for "the first license or app you purchase for the year" is a joke. Just the total BS of it completely turns me off.

Hey Robie, where you at in Houston?

Last edited:
Its on the west side of town. It looks fancy. Are most of the RMEF banquets on the nicer side? I'm used to DU and Delta banquets that are at a beer hall.
LINK

No idea, but I'll go!

I'm an RMEF member but never went to a banquet.. Does look a little too fancy for me lol

Back