Money Saving Tips / Ideas

cnelk

WKR
It’s always a good idea to save money wherever and whenever you can.

Branching off the other ‘Leftover Money’, share some ways you save money.

Here’s mine:
I had Verizon for my cell service for many years. I was paying $98/mo just for me - unlimited everything.

I then heard about Visible by Verizon.

$25/mo!
That’s a $876 savings a year

Same number. Same unlimited features.

The only requirement is that your phone must be ‘Unlocked’ (paid for/not financed)

I’ve had Visible for a couple months now and I’ve seen absolutely no difference in quantity or service.

PS - I am not a sponsor or being paid for this endorsement.

Been on cheap phone plans for 8-10 years. No ifea why anyone ever uses Att or verizon. I am on visible as well and no complaints whatsoever.

Other tips:
While we are on phones, don’t buy the latest and greatest- buy whatever was good a year or two ago.

Shop around for car/house insurance. It never pays to be loyal anymore it doesn’t seem like. I switched recently and will save over 1k a year.

hunterjmj

WKR
Check your internet bill and see if you're paying rent for your modem. If you are just go buy one and send the rented one back. We have Starlink now but noticed we were being charged $11/month for a modem from century link years ago.
Resist the urge to eat out and cook at home.
Change your own oil.

That's just a few off the top of my head.

I rarely buy much in person. Most of my purchases are online and researched for the best price. Coupon codes are almost always used as well as Active junky. I even bought my last pickup online, or at least made the deal online. After we agreed on the OTD price, I went down and picked it up.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
We were with Verizon for about six years and just switched to xfinity mobile. It runs on the Verizon network and we took advantage of a bunch of incentives that dropped our bill to $58 a month for four lines.

Buy gas at Costco but don’t go inside unless you’re having a great will power day.

Then blow your savings in the classifieds.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Do some research on your vehicle’s value and what you’re paying for insurance.

A general rule of thumb is if you’re paying more than 10% of the value of the vehicle in premiums you might want to drop some insurance.

If you own your vehicle outright and still have full coverage, look at dropping Collision insurance off your policy and keep Comprehensive

But, again, do your research and see what may best apply to you.

You guys have me intrigued with these off name cell companies. I too have been stuck with Verizon for far too long. A few years ago I tried AT&T out and their coverage in my state is not as good as Verizon, especially in the woods. Is one of the no name companies better than the other?

You guys have me intrigued with these off name cell companies. I too have been stuck with Verizon for far too long. A few years ago I tried AT&T out and their coverage in my state is not as good as Verizon, especially in the woods. Is one of the no name companies better than the other?
Visible literally uses Verizon's network. Its the same thing.

The main things I do is we almost never eat out. These days, you’re pretty much guaranteed to spend $50-60 for just two people, which is a third or more of our total weekly grocery spend.

Other thing is not buying new cars every few years. While we have both had a new vehicle itch for a while, we are going on 11+ years in my Tundra and 10+ in her Altima.

Oh, and we just switched insurance and saved $1000/yr.

One more…lot of high interest checking accounts out there paying up to 5% interest. At least keeps inflation from wiping away your savings.