Money Saving Tips / Ideas

I'll get some pushback, but using a debit card instead of a credit card really makes you think about an impulse purchase knowing that money is coming directly out of your account.

I prefer paying with cash. But I honestly had no idea what was getting spent or where it was going. So back to the debit card.

After looking around a bit. I started using credit cards for everything I can. Citi is 2% back on all purchases. I average $50-$100 back every month. Just pay the damn thing off every month

Set yourself a weekly budget. get it out in cash, leave debit card at home. buy groceries, gas and whatever else you need with that money. you will quickly start second guessing what you "need" and realize most of it is just a want and if you dont have it you dont even realize it.

My wife and I started with a 400 a week allowance between the two of us. we are down to 200 and usually have money left over at the end of the week. thats over 10k we saved by realizing we were spending money on crap we dont need and dont get any real enjoyment from. we use that money for a big trip every year now.

Erict

WKR
Research "lifetime" licenses (hunting, fishing, archery, muzzleloader, trapping, etc.). I think it was a bargain when I bought mine.

Visible literally uses Verizon's network. Its the same thing.

I had straight talk for a while. Was through verizon and the area the phone actually worked was pretty small. Couldnt make it across town without it "roaming"

You run into that with Visible?

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Couldnt make it across town without it "roaming"

I've actually had BETTER signal with Visible than Verizon.

Right after I first installed Visible, I made a trip to my Wyo cabin. I watched the signal as I traveled through remote areas and noticed I had service where I didnt with Verizon.

Give it a try, you can always go back

I had straight talk for a while. Was through verizon and the area the phone actually worked was pretty small. Couldnt make it across town without it "roaming"

Does it work the same as Verizon when you're out of the country?
I have not run into the roaming issue whatsoever in the US. Most years I make probably 10+ trips outside a 100 mile radius of my home and haven’t had any issues with coverages.

That being said I have never tried to use my service outside of the country so I can’t speak to that.

I've actually had BETTER signal with Visible than Verizon.

Right after I first installed Visible, I made a trip to my Wyo cabin. I watched the signal as I traveled through remote areas and noticed I had service where I didnt with Verizon.

I'd have full bars, just the phone would not work past such an such stop sign. Was rather disappointing

Give it a try, you can always go back

might have to

It appears that Visible is for a single line without the ability to add additional lines?
Im no expert, but I expect you would just pay the flat rate for every line. There are no discounts at all as far as i am aware, just 25$ a line (if you pay annually)

While we are on saving money, hit me up if you want a referral. Both parties get $20.

Last edited:
OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
If put in a promo code I think you can get it for $20/mo

I will say, the transition is kinda stressful since you won’t have a phone number for a little while but Visible was great with online communication.

If you are really interested, there are some videos on YT that are very helpful in knowing what to do.

If you don’t know what an ESIM is, you will. ;)

intunegp

WKR
WalMart and many local grocers offer free curbside pickup these days and it has been a big saver for our household. Shopping on the app eliminates the impulsivity as you have to search for each item and add it to your cart rather than walking up and down the aisles and seeing/buying things you weren't originally there for just because they caught your eye. Additionally, you can check what you have as you shop and eliminate duplicates without having to memorize your entire pantry and fridge.

Along the same lines, Walmart ran a promotion where a year of their Walmart+ premium subscription was only $50. That includes grocery delivery if you're within their radius. I spend more than $50 in gas per year if we go to Walmart every weekend in addition to vehicle wear/tear so that was a no-brainer.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
WalMart and many local grocers offer free curbside pickup these days and it has been a big saver for our household. Shopping on the app eliminates the impulsivity as you have to search for each item and add it to your cart rather than walking up and down the aisles and seeing/buying things you weren't originally there for just because they caught your eye. Additionally, you can check what you have as you shop and eliminate duplicates without having to memorize your entire pantry and fridge.

Along the same lines, Walmart ran a promotion where a year of their Walmart+ premium subscription was only $50. That includes grocery delivery if you're within their radius. I spend more than $50 in gas per year if we go to Walmart every weekend in addition to vehicle wear/tear so that was a no-brainer.

We do Costco, Local Grocery & Target delivery. It cuts down the impulse buying and it saves what you order so you can go through and just click what you need for the week. I can't tell you the last time I went in one of those places.

Does it work the same as Verizon when you're out of the country?
If you do a ton of international travel, check out google fi phone service. They have coverage in like 180+ countries last I looked with no extra fees. If you don't use a ton of data, they have some cheaper plans that aren't much more than the prices guys are listing for Visible.

wyogoat

WKR
Since it’s hunting season and it’s what I was doing when I noticed this thread…for the backpack hunters buy the Mountain House meals in bulk canisters when they have a sale and get the Mylar bags from Wallaby then package your own meals. This has been a game changer for me. It cuts bulk in the pack and allows me to put the amount I want in instead of too much. Saves quite a bit of money also.

What does he do with that money?
While I get the concept of tithing and was raised to do so...once I came into my own and saw what the overwhelming majority of churches are truly about I felt this same way.
Invest that 10% and hold it till you find a truly worthy cause to support and can verify is doing goddly work and give it then if you feel the need.
Way to much money tied up in organized religion anymore that definitely isn't doing God's work.

Part of the reason we bailed on boy scouts too...Im not paying for their settlements...or that much for some pop corn for that matter while the higher ups stick a a bunch in their pockets running a 'non profit'.

Anyways...that being said I'll give my. $.02...

Dont keep to much of your money in savings accounts unless they are high yield.

Setup a budget and multiple accounts to organize your money.

start and keep an emergency fund...unexpected expenses suck, but suck alot more and cost alot more if you have to finance them.

start saving for your kids early and teach them to do the same...$25 a week/month, whatever...just start and once you have a chunk invest it wisely for them, rinse and repeat... and don't let them know how much is there until it's time for college or that first home.

If your mortgage rate is under 3%...quit paying extra on your house and invest it...secure investments paying near 5% still and market returns out pace that long term...you come out way ahead vs paying off a low interest mortgage...If your rate is 5% or more...pay extra and be watching for any rate decreases of 1% or more and refi

like everyone else said...meal prep and don't eat out and buy bulk when it makes sense

Last edited: