MN Northwest Angle pros and cons

I have the option to buy into a cabin on Lake of the Woods, in the Angle. would be a long drive, but a cheap investment. I know the multiple boarder crossings can be an issue (think Covid) but fishing and hunting opportunities seem good. Anyone that has had hunting and fishing experience would be exciting to hear about.

any other issues to be aware of? anything else to do up there but fish?

UpNorth89

Lil-Rokslider
Great fishing for multiple species of fish in that part of LOW. The grouse hunting is fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Deer Hunting in Ontario on the Islands is a blast. Can jump island to island with the boat and when hunting is slow the grouse hunting is world class. Once your grouse limit is filled enjoy some world class crappie, walleye, muskie or northern pike fishing.

Border Crossings are easy as you long as you have your ducks in row.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Very cool place. But they operate a little differently in "The Angle". Technically they are part of Lake of the Woods County, but they don't seem to want to be part of the "mainland." The residents are a very tight knit community. (And you need to be)

Fishing is king. Outside of open water fishing is ice fishing. After that, I think drinking ranks pretty high for leisure activities.

As referenced, border crossings can be "interesting". During Covid, the Canadian govt basically isolated the residents. No tourism, period. Pre Covid, crossings were acceptable. (Border/ Jim's Corner).

Post Covid era, the ice road has been problematic. (Not sure where it's existence stands today)

OP
timberland
So we'd be in Angle Inlet, it looks like Jim's Corner is the spot to go through customs, like a check in point?
Do you need to get out into the main lake for fishing? thinking about my boat and a need for a bigger one :)

cnelk

WKR
I grew up on the south side of Lake of the Woods. Spent many years fishing the lake.

One time we took a flight in a Dehavilland Beaver from Sportsman’s Lodge (Baudette) and flew to the NW Angle for supper and back.

In the winter, Lots of people snowmobile back and forth from the ‘Angle’ without going thru customs. I don’t think the ice road is open anymore.

The lake is big and kills people every year - both summer and winter.

Here are 10 facts about LOTW

Never had a problem with customs - but the big problem was always the dust on that road into the Angle. I dont know what material they used for it but be prepared for it to get into every nook and cranny on your boat. My uncle used to guide out of Monument Bay before the Marvins bought it. As SuperDuece said pushing islands for deer is a blast to mix in with musky fishing in the fall. You would also be able to sled up and chase Lake Trout in the islands in the winter. Just keep an eye out for wolves - ive had family members surrounded on the ice by them! Dont need a big boat in the island - was fine in my Lund 1675 pro guide.

49ereric

WKR
I have the option to buy into a cabin on Lake of the Woods, in the Angle. would be a long drive, but a cheap investment. I know the multiple boarder crossings can be an issue (think Covid) but fishing and hunting opportunities seem good. Anyone that has had hunting and fishing experience would be exciting to hear about.

any other issues to be aware of? anything else to do up there but fish?
Peace and quiet & slower lifestyle.

but the big problem was always the dust on that road into the Angle. I dont know what material they used for it but be prepared for it to get into every nook and cranny on your boat.
they usually put down calcium or magnesium chloride for dust suppression and you are right it makes a mess of your vehicle & boat

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
Deer Hunting in Ontario on the Islands is a blast. Can jump island to island with the boat and when hunting is slow the grouse hunting is world class. Once your grouse limit is filled enjoy some world class crappie, walleye, muskie or northern pike fishing.

Border Crossings are easy as you long as you have your ducks in row.
Do you have to submit hunter accreditation every year you wish to purchase tags in Ontario or does it stay on file?

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider
That road will sandblast anything you’re pulling behind you in a hurry. I like the Sabaskong side better anyway but anywhere on LOTW is better than just about anywhere else as far as lake property. Love it up there.

IMG_0339.jpeg