Stabiliser setups - pros and cons of quivalizer and rear stab vs front and rear bar with bow quiver

Hi all,

I'm just curious about stabiliser setups for hunting and who prefers a front and rear bar with a bow quiver, over having a quivalizer on the front?

I've been seriously hunting with a compound for the last 12 months and I've had a quivalizer on the front and a 10 inch Shrewd bar on the back. I don't really want for anything else but I haven't mucked around with a riser mounted quiver before so I'm thinking about experimenting. My main reason for doing this is my local shop is closing down so I might be able to buy a Tight Spot Shift Lock quiver for a cheap price.

Here's how my setup currently sits.

So yeh - pros and cons? What do you all use and prefer, and why?

Also, we don't sit in trees down here so the overwhelming majority of our hunting is spot and stalk.

BBob

WKR
For context this is for open country AZ and NM. Side quiver with front and back bars. I’ve shot vertical side quivers for decades and I don’t want to change. Front and back bars get the thing shooting nice for potential longer shots in open country and I have no issues with carrying it around. Quivalizers were everywhere around here a few years ago but I’ve seen many move on. I almost tried one but never did so no comment on that setup. I’ll add I’ve been shooting proper front bars (long ish with weight out front) for decades and my bows were always side weighted in some form or another to offset the quiver. A few years ago I added a more traditional back bar.

Long Cut

WKR
I had beefed up my Elite Kure with a 10” and 8” bars, with plenty of weight.
Combine that with a Spott Hogg Tommy Hogg, that bow was HEAVY.

Super steady in-hand with no vibration. BUT you’re lucky to bust out 20-30 shots before your arms start dropping shots low.

Ultimately I ditched both and use a Tactacam 6.0 camera in place of my stabilizers. For tree stand hunting whitetails, I could see the benefit. Any form of spot & stalk, I’d absolutely avoid them- Or at least ditch the weights.

My .02

Attachments

• IMG_4986.jpeg
    IMG_4986.jpeg
    320.2 KB · Views: 30

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
I personally don't run stablilizers most of the time. I have a 6" bee stinger if I feel I can't hold on target. If your bow is balanced there is no need for the extra weight. If it's front or rear heavy then you adjust with stabilizers. When I started archery stabilizers were more hand shock and sound reduction. Just an old habit for me. I like lightweight bows.

nphunter

WKR
I don’t need them for hunting. I notice very little difference under 80 yards. Even out to 100 I can shoot well without my stabilizer, it does tighten up my groups slightly but not enough to justify packing the extra weight for days in end.

I prefer side mounted quiver so I run front stabs, and rear depending on the setup and how it shoots. The quivalizer is appealing due to weight, but I have used side mounted for so long my concern is breaking the habit of where my arrows are located for quick loads and follow up shots if needed.

Ac338

WKR
I went from a 10/8 setup to only using that little stubby thing that comes on the bottom part of the riser on the Hoyt Ventum 33 pro. After shooting and hunting a lot without using one I realized I like it a lot more and honestly haven’t noticed an effect on accuracy in hunting scenarios. Less weight less stuff to get caught on brush.

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
I use a quivalizer currently but with a modification. When the quivalizer was all the way on front of my bow it was very front heavy. I didn't want to add a back bar. Instead, I balanced the bow by moving the quiver.

To find the right balance, I ziptied a mounting bracket to the side of the riser. I experimented with different mounting angles and locations until the bow balanced. Now it carries well and shoots well. I never came up with a more permanent solution than zipties but they have held for like five seasons now🤷

tdoublev

FNG
I was running front and rear, but have since dropped the rear. It was slightly more balanced, but nothing game changing. Ultimately found that the rear bar was just in my way whether I was walking, getting the bow out or setting it down. Guessing you aren’t as bothered by that if you use a quivalizer and haven’t changed yet. In addition to that, the reduced weight has been absolutely worth it to me. My shooting only gets better as I improve, not the equipment.

I use a quivalizer currently but with a modification. When the quivalizer was all the way on front of my bow it was very front heavy. I didn't want to add a back bar. Instead, I balanced the bow by moving the quiver.

To find the right balance, I ziptied a mounting bracket to the side of the riser. I experimented with different mounting angles and locations until the bow balanced. Now it carries well and shoots well. I never came up with a more permanent solution than zipties but they have held for like five seasons now🤷
Do you have any pics of your set up you could share?

TheTone

WKR
I shot a side bar and a some other big weights mounted on the limb pockets on a bow close to twenty years ago. It shot awesome but wasn’t a ton of fun to pack around. Since then I’ve just shot with a front bar. The quivilizer has always seemed interesting to me and I’d really like to try one. One of these days I plan to go shoot one at my local shop

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I use a quivalizer and won't go back to a side mounted quiver.

I haven't been able to find a side mounted quiver that balanced well without a back bar. I have a 15/10 stabilizer setup, 3oz front 6oz back. I like it and still shoot it for TAC or off season, but for hunting quivalizer 100%.

Took about a pound off my bow using a quivalizer vs full quiver plus stabilizers.

And it's way easier to pack around. Quivalizer in the vertical position for packing and way less stuff sticking out of the bow.

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
It balances perfectly in hand during a stalk. It rolls forward ever so slightly after the shot.

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
It is lighter than two stabilizers and a quiver. And its form factor is surprisingly ergonomic in actual use (nothing at all on the right side of the bow and it just balances so well in hand). Anyway, it works for me

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
Another in the 'no stabilizer' camp...vertical two-piece DIY quiver, 70#; most of the year I'm shooting 80 yards (& in) every day. I probably shoot one the lightest bows out there (4 lb. 11oz is the bow, sight, rest, quiver, 5 arrows and my release)...and see no reason for a stabilizer.