Wyoming to Tennessee move, sort of.

TaperPin

WKR
I had to laugh at the situation, when going through the drive through at McDonalds and something was left off the order. Going inside and standing by the counter like we would out west didn’t result in a single person making eye contact for several minutes. Finally, a gal in line felt sorry for my inability to communicate without eye contact and spoke up. Lol

I still don’t fully understand the small things, but it’s different. I have caught a few cashiers at different stores pocketing money by not fully ringing things up when paying with cash - that must be a blind spot, because a good manager would see that right away.

jimh406

WKR
Native Wyomingite. Lived in Kentucky and Tennessee. The culture for me was really hard. They are massively different from us.
What a weird post. It's almost like you think you met everyone from Wyoming and everyone from Kentucky and Tennessee ... unless the post was satire. :D

Also, where do you think the Wyoming people came from ... note: they are a mix from everywhere else.

Mojave

WKR
Bless your heart

Please understand this is a joke
Every time I hear Bless your heart from a southerner I tell them to eat a bag of donkey danglers.

My secretary was pissed when I told her that to southerners it means F. U. We had a southern lady come for an inspection, and she told my secretary "bless your heart" because she didn't understand something the lady said. She was livid.

Mojave

WKR
What a weird post. It's almost like you think you met everyone from Wyoming and everyone from Kentucky and Tennessee ... unless the post was satire. :D

Also, where do you think the Wyoming people came from ... note: they are a mix from everywhere else.
I know like 20% of the actual people from Wyoming. There are only 550,000 people there. And 200,000 of them moved there in the last 3 years.

Mojave

WKR
Great advice.

The salads over there are something of wonder. "I'm going to be healthy and get a salad." Out comes a house salad that's 4,800 calories because of all the cheese, bacon and dressing covering the 3 leafs of lettuce.

Fake nice was good to point out as well. I remember before I moved to NY for a bit, I braced for the NY a-hole. However, I found people were more blunt/honest, not any less nice.
Yes, blunt and honest. Call Cameraland NY Doug. He is a riot.

OP
Lwilliams

Lwilliams

Lil-Rokslider
I am an honest Wyoming native being 4th generation here and having never lived anywhere else. The small town and driving I totally understand. I live in a town of less than 900 people and when we want to do something in a city we drive 6 hours to Denver. The no eye contact thing would be slightly weird if that's actually a thing, I was always taught to look at someone when talking and have taught my children the same thing.

Every time I hear Bless your heart from a southerner I tell them to eat a bag of donkey danglers.

My secretary was pissed when I told her that to southerners it means F. U. We had a southern lady come for an inspection, and she told my secretary "bless your heart" because she didn't understand something the lady said. She was livid.
It definitely does not mean FU unless maybe someone is saying it incredibly cynically. I would akin it more to saying, “poor thing” or “I’m sorry” but still oftentimes is not meant to be offensive or rude in any way.

Maybe it is used rudely in the fake southern suburbia that seems to be slowly taking over the south, but not in the true rural south. I’ve been “bless your heart”-ed by plenty of ladies that would absolutely do anything for a stranger. In fact I honestly don’t think I have ever heard anyone use it rudely in real conversation.

I am south of Nashville, but grew up in Idaho and still have family, friends and horses in Idaho. We moved here about 6 years ago and love it. For me its more about the people and culture and I really enjoy golfing, which I can do year round.

mikeafeagin22

Lil-Rokslider
To be perfectly blunt and honest, and impolite, TN doesn’t need any more effin transplants. Not even part timers.
Not sure what part you’re in but they’ve half ruined where I am already… DR Horton and a bunch of other big builders are buying up farms and throwing as many spec homes as they can fit on every square inch they can find.

Not sure what part you’re in but they’ve half ruined where I am already… DR Horton and a bunch of other big builders are buying up farms and throwing as many spec homes as they can fit on every square inch they can find.
Sounds like my area. I can think of 3 dr Horton subdivisions in a 10 mile radius where I’m at.

mikeafeagin22

Lil-Rokslider
I am an honest Wyoming native being 4th generation here and having never lived anywhere else. The small town and driving I totally understand. I live in a town of less than 900 people and when we want to do something in a city we drive 6 hours to Denver. The no eye contact thing would be slightly weird if that's actually a thing, I was always taught to look at someone when talking and have taught my children the same thing.
Never in my life have I had that no eye contact thing.. there’s a few pretty accurate things being said in this thread like the chiggers in the summer being terrible (don’t have to worry about them in the winter) and how we cut our grass a lot (we actually have real grass and rain here so it’s a necessity) but quite a few head scratchers being said. As @Ferrulewax was saying, a bunch of that must be the fake suburbia thing because where I was raised eye contact and a firm handshake mean everything. That being said…. Different strokes for different folks. That’s why we’ve got 50 states to choose from

TN2shot07

WKR
It definitely does not mean FU unless maybe someone is saying it incredibly cynically. I would akin it more to saying, “poor thing” or “I’m sorry” but still oftentimes is not meant to be offensive or rude in any way.

Maybe it is used rudely in the fake southern suburbia that seems to be slowly taking over the south, but not in the true rural south. I’ve been “bless your heart”-ed by plenty of ladies that would absolutely do anything for a stranger. In fact I honestly don’t think I have ever heard anyone use it rudely in real conversation.
I agree, worst case I would translate “bless your heart” as what an idiot.

mikeafeagin22

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like my area. I can think of 3 dr Horton subdivisions in a 10 mile radius where I’m at.
You in middle Tennessee? Sounds like you live right by me because it’s the exact same here. I’m watching them clear the farm across the highway from me right now while I’m splitting firewood

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
I live on Ky Lake and work in Paris. Feel free to PM with any specific questions.

Yes our children are taught to look someone in the eye when speaking, firm handshake and have manners. IF you cant deal with those things, you may not like it here. IF you like liberal hunting, fishing, gun laws, people lending a hand, people looking out for their neighbor and we actually know our neighbor, youll love it here, except for the humidity. Ive lived here my whole 57 years and been to every state except for 4, and our humidity can be some of the worst. But all the good out weighs it, and welcome. Given the context and WHO is saying it, but yes, "bless your heart" may not be a good thing.