Men’s Mental Health Challenge

It’s tough being a man in today’s world. It’s easy to beat ourselves up and bring ourselves down, often forgetting what we have to appreciate. I’m going to update and bump this thread at least weekly, my plan is to state something I’m thankful for and maybe sometimes things I struggle with.
This can be an open forum for discussion, an outlet, a place to vent or my main intent; remind ourselves that no matter how dark life seems to be, we can brighten it up together.

I went squirrel hunting a few weeks ago and ran into a couple guys that invited myself and kids to tag along on the youth pheasant opener. I’m still pretty new to the area, I’m thankful for this.

Guys, tell me something you have to live for, something you appreciate. Struggling with life? A relationship? Kids? Work? You’re not alone, lots of us are so let’s talk about it. Need someone to talk to? PM me.

Good topic sir. It is tough being a man in today's world of high prices and dangerous people. I try my best to provide for my family, protect my family and be a good dad, step dad and husband. Things pull us in all different directions so ya gotta figure out the good routes to take and stick to them. Though I work over 100 hours a week between jobs, I thank God that I have the opportunity to have those 2 jobs and provide for my family. Living is so damn expensive now.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

Yoder

WKR
I wrote a long woe is me reply initially. I read it and it made me want to puke. I was super depressed this year. I felt pretty empty and hopeless. Why??? What is wrong with me? I have a good paying job, a beautiful wife that is awesome. My oldest son just hit two years sober and started going to school to be a mechanic. (I get on my knees and thank God for that.) I have enough saved up to pay off my house. All of our health is good. Things are just way different than I expected they would be. I'm learning to stop trying to control everything and leave it up to God. I still have to be smart and prepare for the future but it's not up to me how things end up. I really need to be more grateful. So many people are struggling right now. My problems are pretty insignificant.

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
"I really need to be more grateful. So many people are struggling right now. My problems are pretty insignificant."

Well said, and words to abide by. I try to remind myself of this every time I get frustrated about something. I volunteer at a food bank once a week and we see people literally living in their cars with dogs and kids. Puts it in perspective when I forget to take out the garbage or buy mustard at the store.

An easy an affective way to develop a grateful attitude is to change just one word. Instead of saying or thinking "I have to...", say "I get to..."

I get to go to work Monday.

I get to pay our mortgage and vehicle payments.

I get to take my son to football practice.

I get to fix stuff at home this weekend.

I get to take my family to mass this evening, then come back home for leftover pizza and family movie night part II.

OP
lyle_destroys
Good topic sir. It is tough being a man in today's world of high prices and dangerous people. I try my best to provide for my family, protect my family and be a good dad, step dad and husband. Things pull us in all different directions so ya gotta figure out the good routes to take and stick to them. Though I work over 100 hours a week between jobs, I thank God that I have the opportunity to have those 2 jobs and provide for my family. Living is so damn expensive now.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk
I’m right there beside you brother. Kids, stepkids (still my damn kids), work, trying to find time and money to spend with my beautiful woman and myself. It piles up. I’m proud of you man.

OP
lyle_destroys
I wrote a long woe is me reply initially. I read it and it made me want to puke. I was super depressed this year. I felt pretty empty and hopeless. Why??? What is wrong with me? I have a good paying job, a beautiful wife that is awesome. My oldest son just hit two years sober and started going to school to be a mechanic. (I get on my knees and thank God for that.) I have enough saved up to pay off my house. All of our health is good. Things are just way different than I expected they would be. I'm learning to stop trying to control everything and leave it up to God. I still have to be smart and prepare for the future but it's not up to me how things end up. I really need to be more grateful. So many people are struggling right now. My problems are pretty insignificant.
That’s the big question, why? Why do I feel like this? I’ve been to countries that are absolutely horrible, I don’t have to live anything like that. But a lot of the time depression doesn’t have a why, it just is. It just exists and we have to find a way to mitigate that. You don’t have to tell yourself that your problems are insignificant, they’re still significant to your mental health. I’ve been focusing on things that I know help that, sometimes they don’t make me feel good in the process but they help in the long run (exercise, abstaining from drinking, getting the mundane chores done). Thanks for checking in to this thread brother.

OP
lyle_destroys
"I really need to be more grateful. So many people are struggling right now. My problems are pretty insignificant."

Well said, and words to abide by. I try to remind myself of this every time I get frustrated about something. I volunteer at a food bank once a week and we see people literally living in their cars with dogs and kids. Puts it in perspective when I forget to take out the garbage or buy mustard at the store.
I think the trouble is that our monkey brains aren’t really wired that way, we’re wired to survive and thrive in what we are going through, sometimes it’s hard to put these things in perspective, but you make a great point. Even though it’s difficult, sometimes really taking a step back and looking around can put things into perspective.

OP
lyle_destroys
An easy an affective way to develop a grateful attitude is to change just one word. Instead of saying or thinking "I have to...", say "I get to..."

I get to go to work Monday.

I get to pay our mortgage and vehicle payments.

I get to take my son to football practice.

I get to fix stuff at home this weekend.

I get to take my family to mass this evening, then come back home for leftover pizza and family movie night part II.
Mindset is everything! This is something I heard a long time ago, certainly helps but we have to put it into practice.