Mechanical or Fixed... what are your thoughts for elk?

Magnus snuffer or magnus buzzcuts. I have also used a montec 3 blade in the past with good results. The magnus warranty is tough to beat.

RyanD

FNG
Slick Tricks for me the last couple of years, but quite a few elk have fallen to my Magnus Stingers. I don't have any experience with mechanicals.

cnelk

WKR
10 years using Muzzy 100gr - been using 100gr Stick Tricks for the last 3.
Muzzy didnt seem as sharp out of the box as they used to be.
I had success with both

elkhunt

FNG
I use fixed only because I do not need any thing else going wrong or having to worry about it opening. Maybe on deer I would use them.

bohntr

WKR
I think a quality cut-on-contact style head is a better choice for elk overall. There are many manufactured now-a-days that fly extremely well that you can choose from....some fly the same as field points.

My personal choice? I've arrowed bulls with Zwickey Eskimos's, Magnus Stingers, and the last few with Wac'em. All performed very well. None of them flew as well as the Wac'em.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I agree with the Wacem comment Roy...best flying head on the market!
IMG_3150.jpg

Juan_ID

WKR
Might not make it to hunt elk this season but if I do I'll be shooting Shuttle T's or Terminal T's... Never had any head fly better for me than Trophy Takers...

I have always been a firm believer in fixed blades for elk but after checking out the new Ulmer Edge mechanical broadhead at a sport show this winter I might make an exception. Haven't been able to get my hands on any yet to do some testing so I'm not totally sold on it for elk yet but it looked like a elk killer to me. Can't wait to do some testing this summer.