Mechanical or Fixed... what are your thoughts for elk?

I cannot believe that this has not gone nuts with the chevy vs. ford crowd! Most forums I have visited, when this question is asked get slammed with people arguing. I am so pleased that the members here are open minded enough to see peoples preferences and not bitch! LOVE IT!!!! I shoot 100gr magnus buzzcuts on my axis 340's. They fly like darts out to 80yds.

JPhelps

Lil-Rokslider
100 gr. Slick Trick original Fixed Blade (mechanicals not legal in Washington, but I would used fixed anyways).

Havok

FNG
I used to shoot the Bocky Mountain Blitz/turbos but they quit making them, bummer to because they are an amazing fixed head. I killed a cow last year with a Wac'em 100 grain exit and was impressed to say the least.

Havok

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
montec g5 100 gr here.......personally i would recommend fixed due to the size and toughness of elk, but i also have no experience with mechanicals..as with shot placement, distance, angle and broadheads it is a personal choice and the only person you have to rationalize or explain it to is yourself.

shanevg

WKR
Montec G5 100gr for me. No mechanical blades allowed in WA so I try to use a broad head that is legal in every state.

OR Archer

WKR
As previously stated mechanical heads are illegal here in Oregon. I have been shooting 100gr G5 Montecs for several years. This year Ill be shooting the 100gr NAP Thunderhead Razor on the end of my Injexions.

Although I know they will do the job just fine Id still prefer a fixed blade head for elk and larger game. For deer size game and smaller I would have no problem shooting a mechanical where legal to do so.

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
Magnus 2 blade or grizzlies.
Thinking about going to VPA 160gr. This year.
Oh, and I shoot wood.

I use both. My main fixed head is the QAD Exodus, followed by the Slick Trick Standard. My main mech is the Grim Reaper 1 3/8 Razortip. I keep a couple mechs in my quiver if I have a really long shot or see a turkey :)