Mechanical or Fixed... what are your thoughts for elk?

Rucker61

WKR
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, and as a newbie, too. You guys shooting the Stingers and Buzzcuts, are those with compound bows or just recurves/longbows?

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I'm going to be using the Ulmer Edge this year for everything. I've seen the results on multiple animals last year and looks good. I had them last year but wasn't 100% on using them for elk. This year, I'll dust them off and definitely use them. Fly great with my setup

Danielboone

Lil-Rokslider
Some of you my look down on me, but I use rocket 100 steelheads. Many of deer,turkey, and a few bear and elk have fallen to these heads for me.

They are the best/strongest mech made IMO. I am a fixed blade guy but have used the original Steelhead 125 on some deer with outstanding results. 100% steel and fly like a FP. Only other mech I would consider is the Spitfire. I still have a pack of 25 brand new original Steelheads in 125 I bought from the former owner, before TR purchased them and changed them and moved production to China.

Danielboone

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to be using the Ulmer Edge this year for everything. I've seen the results on multiple animals last year and looks good. I had them last year but wasn't 100% on using them for elk. This year, I'll dust them off and definitely use them. Fly great with my setup

I bought some to shoot ans examine, but never used them. First, blade was not as sharp as I like and the tab that opens the blade blocks the blade edge when deployed and that bothered me when I examined them. maybe that is a non issue in the field, but it was enough to cause me to sell them.

bobhunts

WKR
I can't say I have always used fixed blades on elk. But the best one so far was the Ramcat 125's. Last year I had a complete pass through at 42yrds. Lots of blood and I believe the bull didn't know he was a gonner. I thought I missed as he never even reacted like he had been hit. Someone else could have the same story regarding the broadhead they use also. Just my own experience with what I was using.Bob.

either will work just fine, just choose a broadhead that is right for your set-up.
I currently use Rocky mtn snyper 3 blade. Of the current heads available I will use Ulmer edge or the Epek. The only thing I don't like about the Epek is the large cut diameter in a 3 blade head.

Mechanicals are just as reliable as any fixed head.

Last edited:
G5 Montec CS 100 grain. Buy them, practice with them, sharpen them, go hunting. Very good edge retention.
I have been kicking around using 125 grain VPA terminator non vented. Just depends on how much planning I get out of them in practice.
After sharpening a few strokes on a leather straupe and they get scary sharp.
Mechanical have more then proved them selves but confidence is huge and what I am shooting gives me confidence.

Dano57

FNG
Eclipse 2 blade fixed. 145 gr out of a 50# Bear TB recurve. 600 gr arrow for elk.

I would never look down on someone on their gear choices. I have to use fixed blade heads since I'm from WA state. I use the 125grain Slick Trick Magnums. I even use them when hunting in states where mechs are legal. I did use swhackers one year on deer and they worked fine and I would be confident using them on elk. Ulmer Edges is another one and the Grim Reaper as well that I would have no problem using.

Use what works. I have seen a ton of elk killed with Rages on tv. I love my Slick Tricks and don't see me changing unless their quality control goes down. Until then I use what works FOR ME!