Meat without legs - Mushroom Hunting 2023’

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Morels and beefsteaks are over here in Michigan. We are cutting chicken of the woods now. A few more months and it will be time for shaggy manes.

Do you eat the beefsteaks!?!? All over hear in UT too. Was under the impression they can be toxic. What’s your experience?

Attachments

• CAA90D34-619C-4A8A-BB48-DD90AAC5A6BE.jpeg
    CAA90D34-619C-4A8A-BB48-DD90AAC5A6BE.jpeg
    728.6 KB · Views: 43
OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Morels and beefsteaks are over here in Michigan. We are cutting chicken of the woods now. A few more months and it will be time for shaggy manes.

Newer to shaggies. Know how to identify & have found them past prime. How would you rate their flavor?

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
My uncle went out with a friend here in Idaho on Saturday and picked these in about 5 hours. I'm tempted to go up Friday and snag some.
85e5f461c2a148798afd2f8c8bd10838.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
My uncle went out with a friend here in Idaho on Saturday and picked these in about 5 hours. I'm tempted to go up Friday and snag some.
85e5f461c2a148798afd2f8c8bd10838.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

What sort of elevation??? Those are beautiful

BLJ

WKR
I'm assuming you know this is Chicken of the Woods!? For all others lurking, very tasty and found throughout most of the US/Canada. Way better than store mushrooms
I do. I still appreciate input fom others on ID.

I`ll also echo what @roosterdown said in reference to eating them off of conifer trees. No personal experience, but I`ve often read the same.

wytx

WKR
I feel you were excited to post shit onto rokslide 😂😂😂 those mushrooms are not going to be food. Not to get into rule violations but liberty caps are the Grateful Dead mushrooms and like cow poo. These aren’t them but if you learn how to ID, you might find some!
Sorry, I know it's not illegal to look and take pics, was trying to confirm my suspicions. No way I'm gathering them.
As far as rule violations, didn't know there was one about what we see. My bad.

I was curious about the clump, they are popping up all over not just in manure. Wondering if they are edible, they do not have a blue or purple bruising.

By the way I don't just post shit on Rokslide, that was not my intention, sorry if I offended you with the post. While maybe not food some can be used medicinally I thought. But that is another topic for discussion.
Don't want to derail your thread, foraging knowledge is great to share. I'll step back and just read.

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, I know it's not illegal to look and take pics, was trying to confirm my suspicions. No way I'm gathering them.
As far as rule violations, didn't know there was one about what we see. My bad.

I was curious about the clump, they are popping up all over not just in manure. Wondering if they are edible, they do not have a blue or purple bruising.

By the way I don't just post shit on Rokslide, that was not my intention, sorry if I offended you with the post. While maybe not food some can be used medicinally I thought. But that is another topic for discussion.
Don't want to derail your thread, foraging knowledge is great to share. I'll step back and just read.

Hahaha kidding, sir. It was a good one and common for mushrooms to grow on poop!

I am sure people post elk shit all the time, not sure if mushrooms grow on that too

wytx

WKR
I'll try to post some of the big ones emerging in the meadows right now.
Some huge field Mushrooms and others we don't know what they are.
Going to dry out this weekend so not sure how many will still be coming up.

Great thread by the way !!

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Would the chicken of the woods, in fact, be chicken?

Yup, gotta wing shoot it before is flies away from you!

(But definitely worth keeping an open eye for big orange yellow masses on hard wood trees) very good eating if you find the right one. So much so you can cover in olive oil & salt to grill. All mushrooms take a deep fry well too if health isn’t of interest!