Meat without legs - Mushroom Hunting 2023’

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider

Someone needs to stop me on this if I’m wrong but there is a good chance we are looking at a panther cap. Wanna know why it’s called a panther cap? It’s not because they purr.

For a second I thought it could be a Amanita Rougeatre “Blusher” that should be edible. But the vail is all wrong for that & it’s too uniform of a mushroom.

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Just rained the past three days in SE MN. I’ll be posting some shrooms in the near future, give you some clues of what we are looking for for edible mushrooms

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
BuckChants.jpgChicken.jpgLobster2.jpgLobster3.jpgSUCCESS! Southern Minnesota, went to some of my spots about 5 & 3 days after rain. Found some first of the year chanterelles, pic 1. Chicken of the woods, pic 2. & a pile of lobster mushrooms, pic 3 & 4! These go for $100/lb often times (not COTW) and are all choice edibles. I used to believe lobsters were a late season mushroom but I still found a few that were rotten. Their odd shape is perfectly normal, you're looking for ones white on the inside, firm, and orange! They require a toothbrush to clean dirt out.

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Im thinking a milk-cap of some sort, a young one as you can tell, there are many edible varieties. To know if its its edible you would have to take a small nibble and see if it is bitter. Before you do that, slice the gills & see if a white viscus fluid comes out, it is chemically identical to latex. So certain allergies are possible :) I have never found one that seemed like something I wanted to eat!

Im thinking a milk-cap of some sort, a young one as you can tell, there are many edible varieties. To know if its its edible you would have to take a small nibble and see if it is bitter. Before you do that, slice the gills & see if a white viscus fluid comes out, it is chemically identical to latex. So certain allergies are possible :) I have never found one that seemed like something I wanted to eat!
Hmm, white viscous fluid that tastes like latex. I think I’ll keep lookin. Thanks Steve!

Was visiting a friend in NY a few weeks ago and he said he had mushrooms on his hunting plot but thought we were past the time of harvesting. We did a quick look around and found some of the biggest chanterelles i've ever seen.. They were actually so big I thought they might not be chantrelles. After I confirmed their edibility, we picked a basketful and had a wonderful steak dinner.

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
More lobsters coming from Northern MN this time!

Attachments

• 526F81FD-CF9E-4727-959A-37A5AAABF201.jpeg
    526F81FD-CF9E-4727-959A-37A5AAABF201.jpeg
    348.8 KB · Views: 10

Moto_917

FNG
LOVE lobster mushrooms. They are the unsung heroes of the woods when it comes to being easy to find, taste great, and are EASY to identify. For those lurking, lobsters grow mid july-October. With Aug-Sep being key months. The should be firm and don’t have any gills. Bright orange, growing in dirt. Firm and white on the inside. A slight fish smell but not overpowering.

I turn mine + chanterelle into lobster rolls because MN don’t have real lobster!
I’m not a big fan of mushrooms at all, but those look delicious!

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not a big fan of mushrooms at all, but those look delicious!
They are worth picking! 10x better than any store bought mushroom. Last well refrigerated, rarely have any notable creepy-crawlies, and aren’t much like a regular mushroom