Mcgowen Barrel Reviews

Beaverdog

FNG
I received my 22 creedmoor barrel today and have a few issues. First before they shipped they took the second payment off my credit card and overcharged me. I called and spoke to Dan about the overcharge and tried to explain on the receipt where they overcharged me, he was very rude and kept trying to fight me on it every way I explained it. He finally said he would have Sam refund me $60 and hung up the phone on me without even giving me a chance to say thank you or ask any further questions. Upon initial inspection the crown, muzzle threads, action threads all look beautiful and it headspaced just fine on my tikka action. I have yet to borescope it though. The second issue are I ordered 5r rifling, the barrel I received was conventional 4. Third issue is on my order In the details I put no engraving on barrel and there is indeed all the info engraved on this barrel. I don’t know if I should count my lucky stars and keep this barrel since it headspaced good and just live with the rifling and non oriented engraving or call back and beat my head against the wall trying to talk to Dan and get what I ordered.

atmat

WKR
I received my 22 creedmoor barrel today and have a few issues. First before they shipped they took the second payment off my credit card and overcharged me. I called and spoke to Dan about the overcharge and tried to explain on the receipt where they overcharged me, he was very rude and kept trying to fight me on it every way I explained it. He finally said he would have Sam refund me $60 and hung up the phone on me without even giving me a chance to say thank you or ask any further questions. Upon initial inspection the crown, muzzle threads, action threads all look beautiful and it headspaced just fine on my tikka action. I have yet to borescope it though. The second issue are I ordered 5r rifling, the barrel I received was conventional 4. Third issue is on my order In the details I put no engraving on barrel and there is indeed all the info engraved on this barrel. I don’t know if I should count my lucky stars and keep this barrel since it headspaced good and just live with the rifling and non oriented engraving or call back and beat my head against the wall trying to talk to Dan and get what I ordered.
So you received a product that’s vastly different than what you ordered? Sounds like a no brainer to me.

Call to discuss and immediately send follow-up emails summarizing the conversation. If it comes down to it, chargeback the credit card payment.

morgaj1

WKR
So you received a product that’s vastly different than what you ordered? Sounds like a no brainer to me.

Call to discuss and immediately send follow-up emails summarizing the conversation. If it comes down to it, chargeback the credit card payment.

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends how important 5r and engraving is to you. Are you just concerned that a 4 groove is going to be harder on bullet jackets?

Beaverdog

FNG
The barrel was acceptable, it just wasnt what i ordered. After speaking with dan he wanted me to pay to send the barrel back, i stated "no, you send me a label im not paying more for your mistake." After butting heads about that they sent me a shipping label and the barrel went back for them to try again, we will see how long it takes to get another barrel. Im wondering exactly who dan is, owner, manager, customer service?

atmat

WKR
The barrel was acceptable, it just wasnt what i ordered. After speaking with dan he wanted me to pay to send the barrel back, i stated "no, you send me a label im not paying more for your mistake." After butting heads about that they sent me a shipping label and the barrel went back for them to try again, we will see how long it takes to get another barrel. Im wondering exactly who dan is, owner, manager, customer service?
Imagine trying to get a customer to pay shipping for your outright errors. I’d just request my money back and move on

Edit: someone should send them this link and let them see the reputation they’re getting.

Sled

WKR
manager

I know a lot of smiths say it's harder to cut 5r barrels without getting reamer chatter. I think I'd take my chances with a 4 groove from them with a nice chamber.

Lil-Rokslider
He is the head jerk in charge.

Beaverdog

FNG
update. After exactly a two month wait I received my replacement barrel in the mail.... and the rifling still is not what i ordered. Of the four barrels I have ordered from them, two did not have the correct rifling, the third did not headspace, the fourth was perfect. Thats batting a 25% average on my orders. Question is am i just that one unlucky person that they keep screwing up just my orders? Or are they a company who's motto is "eh close enough" and if so how are they still operational with a clientele?

Chamber was cut poorly.
Figure I should update. I called them and they said to send it back. I asked for a return label and they sent me one right away. They had the barrel for a coupe weeks and I got it back and it now shoots fine. There was a bur or something in the chamber that cause my first round to not extract and they polished out. It did come back with a couple marks on it which I was a little upset about but its a hunting rifle so I am not going to worry about it. The packaging was horrible.

The funny part was Dan emailed me back when I inquired on the resolution after they received the gun back saying it was probably the ammo as the ELDX was a long bullet and was probably jammed into the lands causing a pressure issue. This was after I explained to him it was factory ammo.

Jimbee

WKR
It's been a bunch of months, still waiting to hear back about my rough chamber. In the meantime I took it to a local gunsmith and had it fixed.

Sled

WKR
McGowen needs to bounce that guy, Dan. He has zero people skills.

That's true and they probably will but he may be the only guy there with any skills. He probably just doesn't have time to use them or properly train the cheap labor.

jlink83

FNG
Man, after reading this thread I feel lucky. I sent off my 700ml to them last year to have a smokeless barrel spun on it. When I got the original invoice it stated my trigger was broken. So not off to a good start, well then to my surprise I get a shipping notice that my rifle is on the way back to me for about 2/3 the cost I was expecting. Somehow the barrel showed on the invoice $0.00, but my shipping charge was $100. Get the rifle back it looks fine to me get action/barrel fitted to the stock getting ready to go shoot it I try to close bolt with a primer loaded in the bolt nose (209) well it wont close... upon looking closer the lip on the bolt nose is smashed not allowing the primer to fully seat in place. Some work later I was able to get the bolt nose in working order. The gun shoots well after break in.

I might have pushed my luck since I had another 700ml action setting in my safe, I am currently setting on week 18 since I approved my work order. Contacted Dan last week he actually replied to my amazement, but all it stated was gun was currently in their Gunsmithing department and he would forward on my request. Almost a week later and crickets.

I cannot speak to the quality of the gunsmithing or how McGowen barrels shoot because I never received the correct barrel. There is one thing I can comment on ...

Dan Wynne, McGowen General Manager, (and the guy you will have to deal with) is one of the most unprofessional business people I have ever had the unfortunate opportunity to deal with. His communications skills and attention to detail are unbelievably horrible!

My best advise to someone looking at McGowen Barrel is to "RUN" and never look back. I am serious, do not do business with McGowen Barrel. I am sharing because I do not want anyone to experience the 5-month ordeal that I went through.

I fired them, got my money back, and purchased a Bartlein barrel (haven't received it yet).