Mcgowen Barrel Reviews

slowelk

WKR
Well, to be fair as is said above, my issues have been w their chambering services. As far as the barrel goes I really don't know. Mines not safe to shoot.šŸ˜‚

The one of the many cuckoo things about my experience is my barrel was in better shape the first time I received it as a prefit. Yes it was short chambered and not timed, but the chamber itself and the muzzle threads looked cleaner the first go around? Go figure.

My issue would be the overall quality of their machining, and lack of confidence, but maybe they do just have bad gunsmiths.

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
My issue would be the overall quality of their machining, and lack of confidence, but maybe they do just have bad gunsmiths.
Maybe. I was told by Dan he was giving my action and barrel to the ā€œ head gunsmithā€ to correct my issues. I later found out he was out of town, one of the flunkies did my work. All I know is my action was sent back to me worse that when I first got it. Actually unsafe to shoot, with a scarred chamber and dinged threads on the muzzle. My gunsmith explained to me itā€™s pretty much inconceivable how that couldā€™ve left the shop as a repair. They are having some serious quality control challenges. Danā€™s attitude is placing normally understanding people in a position they want nothing to do w them.

Might they be having a crack epidemic? Or, possibly half the shop fell off the wagon and are on the dope again?

Joking aside, its entirely possible they have a pissed off employee sabotaging crap. I could see someone with a foot out the door doing as much damage as they can before they leave. Leadership matters, when they set the tone of excellence, the staff responds. Conversely, when management sets a negative tone, people also respond in like kind. This stuff ainā€™t rocket science. When management lies to and poorly treats customers, imagine for a moment what they do to their employees. You know his management style is gonna line up pretty darn close.

Last edited:
McGowan sells custom shouldered, chambered, crowned, and muzzle threaded prefit barrels for about the same price (or less) that most top gunsmiths charge for just the related machining work. Color me shocked that they frequently donā€™t come out perfect!

Last edited:

MCS

FNG
I purchased a 6.5 creedmoor prefit barrel from McGowan for a Savage. The barrel never met my accuracy standards. I tried 143 eldx 140 eldm 140 vld 130 vld and 127 barnes out of that barrel. The best shooting bullet out of it was the 127 and that was mediocre at best. After 300 rounds I replaced the barrel with a Criterion and it will shoot 1/4" groups with a 140 hybrid.

I have had 2 bad barrels one was a proof and the other was a McGowan. I'm sure that you can get a bad barrel from any barrel manufacturer but it seams a lot more rare from companies like Bartlein and Brux.

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
McGowan sells custom shouldered, chambered, crowned, and muzzle threaded prefit barrels for about the same price that most top gunsmiths charge for just the related machining work. Color me shocked that they frequently donā€™t come out perfect!
Fair point.

I wonā€™t make that mistake again.

atmat

WKR
Super glad for this site. Was considering a McGowen prefit but will go elsewhere.

Anyone have a good prefit recommendation for an 18ā€ lite contour with flared 5/8ā€x24? Are PVA or PBB my only options?

Jimbee

WKR
Super glad for this site. Was considering a McGowen prefit but will go elsewhere.

Anyone have a good prefit recommendation for an 18ā€ lite contour with flared 5/8ā€x24? Are PVA or PBB my only options?
Sample of one, but I had good luck with Preferred. I have another one on the way

Lil-Rokslider

I have that exact contour from McGowen in 6 Creedmoor for my coyote calling rifle. Not sure who else makes one like that. I have a 900 Varmint from PBB and it is a shooter. 30204A96-D8D1-425A-9E86-93DC2DCBC640.jpegA588374C-F5A9-4E39-8AAB-91606E9878B2.jpeg

NateTP38

Lil-Rokslider

I reached out to Preferred with the same question. They can do the factory Tikka Lite contour (listed as "Lite Contour" in the drop down) and will do a flared 5/8"x24 for an extra $40.

atmat

WKR
Thanks for the responses. I know PBB can do what I want, and Iā€™m likely going with them. Just asking if thereā€™s any options other than PBB or PVA.

MCS

FNG
Thanks for the responses. I know PBB can do what I want, and Iā€™m likely going with them. Just asking if thereā€™s any options other than PBB or PVA.
Criterion makes prefits for a lot of different actions. I'm not sure if they will do the flare to 5/8"

atmat

WKR
Criterion makes prefits for a lot of different actions. I'm not sure if they will do the flare to 5/8"
If I recall, Crtierion doesnā€™t do fixed shoulder or offer the flare for 5/8ā€. But thank you!

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
I donā€™t believe PVA will do a thinner contour than a 3b last I asked. I have been very happy with the one Osprey barrel I have from them itā€™s been as good as any I have used and better than most.

atmat

WKR
I donā€™t believe PVA will do a thinner contour than a 3b last I asked. I have been very happy with the one Osprey barrel I have from them itā€™s been as good as any I have used and better than most.
Youā€™re right! I emailed them last week asking just in case but havenā€™t heard back. I forgot that when I commented.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
Youā€™re right! I emailed them last week asking just in case but havenā€™t heard back. I forgot that when I commented.
Itā€™s too bad I wish they would do something lighter, itā€™s making me think on my next barrel purchase Iā€™m going to try a preferred just for that reason.

Yeah, lots of gunsmiths will turn a barrel to your desired profile and chamber a prefit. Itā€™s just going to cost quite a bit more than a price point barrel like McGowan, PBB or a limited option run for efficiency like the PVA osprey. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if PVA would make exactly what you want as a custom order at a higher price.

I wish the carbon barrel silliness would go away and the void would be filled with sporter contours with flared ends for 5/8ā€ threads.