Mcgowen Barrel Reviews

willicd

FNG
The short answer is that, generally, we don't "bother with custom receivers."

There are features that are interesting which Tikkas don't have - modular bolt heads, quick change barrel systems, lighter bolt lifts, etc. However, for most of us these features are weighed down by the requirement for a Remington 700 pattern trigger and its reliability/safety baggage.

For a self-professed cheapskate like yourself, focused on utility, I'd recommend selling those Solus actions (which don't even provide most of the sought-after advantages of customs, and are not terribly smooth) and focusing on the humble Tikka.

-J
I have 3 SS tikkas waiting to build on or sell. What are the “sought after advantages” of custom actions the solus doesn’t provide? There must be quite a list since you used the term “MOST”! I named 3 highly sought after advantages of custom actions that the solus does possess. “Smooth” is relative and I don’t have them in my hands to gauge that after initial break in.

I’m going to build myself a slow twist bolt action 30-30 deer rifle just for something different and I think I’ll try a McGowen 1-15 for the 125’s. It will be my first McGowen so apparently I need everyone to wish me luck!

If you are going to do your own work on the barrel, McGowen blanks are actually pretty good. It is their machining work (chambering, threading, etc) that needs work. I have two McGowens and both shoot great. One is a Remage and one a Savage.

Dualsight

FNG
Not to resurrect a thread that ended last year, but this has been a very good as I too was considering the McGowen rifle barrel and debated between a shoulder or a nut. If still thinking about a McGowen barrel it appears a McGowen blank is the better alternative and find a trusted gunsmith to complete the process.

Everyone, thank you for your stories and experiences; very enlightening.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Not to resurrect a thread that ended last year, but this has been a very good as I too was considering the McGowen rifle barrel and debated between a shoulder or a nut. If still thinking about a McGowen barrel it appears a McGowen blank is the better alternative and find a trusted gunsmith to complete the process.

It's worth noting that McGowen has been making some changes in house, apparently for the greater good of the customers. My buddy @Timberline001 has experience with them and just ordered a barrel recently, he can chime in with details.

There’s been alot of changes at mcgowen. As others have mentioned, Dan is gone. When you call now you talk to Sam and he’s been one of the most helpful individuals I’ve talked to on the phone in this industry. Extremely knowledgeable about their barrels and helpful. My 6.5 PRC tikka prefit barrel I ordered the end of January arrived at the end of February and everything looked fantastic on it. Sam mentioned everything has changed in house in his opinion and that seemed true with my barrel. I’m excited to do more business with them between the quick turnaround, good price, and great customer service.

mt100gr.

WKR
I don't remember if I chimed in here yet....

My McGowen prefit wasn't without its issues, but I dealt with them myself since I don't mind tinkering.

I can't complain about the accuracy and depending how thier new structuring reviews, I may order from them again. I like that they're 20 minutes away.

I only had six loaded rounds yesterday, trying a different powder charge. 1000001700.jpg1000001699.jpg

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
This is a borescope shot of my most recent Mcgowen barrel, it has some really odd markings all the way around the barrel on the lands. Perhaps it was rebored? It seems to shoot OK, But I've only had 50 rounds of load development down the tube so far, so I can't comfortably make a statement about accuracy.

The "GO" gauge also wouldn't close on it from the factory. I can chamber ammo, but not the go-gauge. Same as with my first mcgowen barrel.

They are priced competitively, so you get what you pay for.
1708200008077.jpg

wyosam

WKR
I’ve got 4 McGowans and all shoot. Had one that was chambered a touch deep, other than that no issues. This was just now with my latest in 338-284. Shot from clean and cold.
670e3f2589e4037cc3243b5aacedd04c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
This is a borescope shot of my most recent Mcgowen barrel, it has some really odd markings all the way around the barrel on the lands. Perhaps it was rebored? It seems to shoot OK, But I've only had 50 rounds of load development down the tube so far, so I can't comfortably make a statement about accuracy.

The "GO" gauge also wouldn't close on it from the factory. I can chamber ammo, but not the go-gauge. Same as with my first mcgowen barrel.

They are priced competitively, so you get what you pay for.
View attachment 692138
I’ve seen “strange marks” in just about every brand of barrel. Rarely does it tell me anything about the barrel’s accuracy.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve seen “strange marks” in just about every brand of barrel. Rarely does it tell me anything about the barrel’s accuracy.
And that's why I never complained to them, I'm waiting to see if it has a detrimental effect on accuracy or if it's purely cosmetic. I have a factory tikka barrel that looks perfect for 95% of the barrel, but has big gouges in the throat from boring.