Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44mm SHR-Mil Q&A

Macintosh

WKR
@SDHUNTER looks like others covered it, but yeah, if you massively underestimate demand at first its really tough to dig out quickly if you dont own the factory. In addition to needing to order parts from different suppliers and have those shipping to the manufacturing facility with their own lead time, you also have to book factory time which is often easier said than done, especially for seasonal products where lots of companies all want manufacturing time at the same time. As someone mentioned they may be getting small runs now due to that being the extent of parts or factory time that is available before a longer lead time. Then they have shipping times for parts and finished goods, if they arent air-freighting them ($$$) it can take well over a month for each leg of their journey. I havent worked in optics, but in other industries Ive worked in, in order to have reliable supply when we need it, we actually do need to book factory time with a $ commitment and order materials over a year in advance based on our estimates of volume, then place production orders 4-6 months ahead of when we need them. Some of this often requires prepayment too, so it becomes a significant cash flow issue if you order too far ahead or too much. Some of this may or may not apply to maven, but in a general sense its fairly standard in manufacturing, it just takes a lot longer than anyone thinks in large part because the parts suppliers and manufacturers arent just sitting there waiting for your order, they are busy doing work for other customers more or less all the time.

The question for maven now is whether they are trying to ramp up their ordering on this scope thinking this is the sustained level of demand they’ll see, or if they are hedging their bet and assuming this is a abnormally big demand spike and doesnt represent the level of long-term demand they can expect. Depending on their margin and cash flow situation they might be erring in one direction or the other. Or they may have paid a premium for a couple smaller rush batches of scopes and figured they’ll see how fast these sell a few months after the initial rush, and make a decision about the anticipated long term volume for a bigger “proper” production run after they have another data point.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I think 3k rounds of actual use is a good place to be. I just remember the Meopta that @Formidilosus was testing seemed to be doing great until it wasn’t at ~2k rounds IIRC. Seems the optics that make it over that hump (correct me if I’m wrong Form) seem to be good to go and approaching or within NF territory in terms of reliability.
I have two RS1.2s with over 3,000 rounds each. No issues so far.

deadwolf

WKR
I contacted Maven about not receiving their in stock email. They said they received a small batch of the RS1.2s and only sent emails to people who had been on the list for a long time.

And it would appear the “notify me when available” button is not currently working either.

Edit: wasn’t working in a particular browser I was using, switched browsers and then it allowed me to sign up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
And it would appear the “notify me when available” button is not currently working either.

Edit: wasn’t working in a particular browser I was using, switched browsers and then it allowed me to sign up.

Sorry - do you mind sharing the browser that works? I don't even see the "notify me" button using Firefox, and while that button shows in Brave and Safari, nothing happens when I click on it - which may be a good thing....

deadwolf

WKR
Sorry - do you mind sharing the browser that works? I don't even see the "notify me" button using Firefox, and while that button shows in Brave and Safari, nothing happens when I click on it - which may be a good thing....

I was using “duck duck go”. It showed the link, but when I clicked it nothing happened. Switched to safari and then it worked.

ChrisAU

WKR
I already have one on my primary gun. It’s replaced both an ATACR and an NXS 2.5-10. It takes care of both needs really. The reticle is so much nicer to use than a Mil-R reticle. I’m going to put another one on my trainer .22 and probably sell my NXS that’s on it now.
View attachment 715910

Got any side profile pics of that rifle? Barrel length? Ordered an MDT HNT26 today, among other things, and I’m thinking about optics.

Do you need to borrow my small ladder to get a sight picture?
Actually with the Triad stock pack it’s not as bad as it looks.

A little research turned up at least one option that is 1/4” lower than these. The Warne lows are 1/8” lower.

Probably see what UM has as well.

Edit: in looking at it again and taking a caliper measurement, I believe the Warne lows will be the lowest I can go. There is only 0.240” clearance between the rail and the bottom of the turret housing.

Guess I could take a cutoff wheel to the rail and make it a two piece 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Got any side profile pics of that rifle? Barrel length? Ordered an MDT HNT26 today, among other things, and I’m thinking about optics.
Yeah I will have a pic tomorrow for the first day of the Cold Bore Challenge. I have a 20” 6 CM barrel, a 18” 6 CM and a 16” 338 Fed. All prefits for the AnTi X

ChrisAU

WKR
Yeah I will have a pic tomorrow for the first day of the Cold Bore Challenge. I have a 20” 6 CM barrel, a 18” 6 CM and a 16” 338 Fed. All prefits for the AnTi X

I’m finally using a cert I picked up at an NRL Hunter match to get a 18” Proof blank worked up for a ARC CDG Lightweight I got…in 300 PRC. Because I’m stupid. But that’s never stopped me. I’m torn between the Maven and a 2.5-20 NX8.

Sadler

WKR
I’m finally using a cert I picked up at an NRL Hunter match to get a 18” Proof blank worked up for a ARC CDG Lightweight I got…in 300 PRC. Because I’m stupid. But that’s never stopped me. I’m torn between the Maven and a 2.5-20 NX8.
I have two nx8s and just got the rs1.2 last night. Haven’t mounted it yet but with a quick once over I like the reticle so much more than the mil-c in my NX8. Reminds me of a standard duplex with heavy stadia lines at low power. Elevation turrets feel about the same as well. It’s elevation turret is pretty tactile with audible clicks. When you hit the zero stop it has that same hollow like thud that nightforce has too, which I like. Feels like a solid scope. And if you like illumination it’s pretty nice that the only thing that lights up is the floating center.

What Sadler said. I've got a couple hundred rounds through my RS 1.2, and as long as it holds up durability wise, will no longer be using my NXS scopes. Theres no downside to getting the Maven. If you don't like it, there will be a dozen guys in line to buy it off you.

You mean you're building a 6-300 PRC? Haha

ChrisAU

WKR
What Sadler said. I've got a couple hundred rounds through my RS 1.2, and as long as it holds up durability wise, will no longer be using my NXS scopes. Theres no downside to getting the Maven. If you don't like it, there will be a dozen guys in line to buy it off you.

You mean you're building a 6-300 PRC? Haha

I want a 16-18” .30 Cal with more power than a 308. Seems like an easy enough path. No real purpose.