Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44 new model

atmat

WKR
Have you shot with a tenmile? I have quite a bit and I do not find the tree to be distracting. I find it helpful for zeroing with the 0.2 mil increments, but when dialing and shooting I hardly notice it.

Availability and durability would seem to win out vs cost based on past discussion on the topic. Prior to the $1200 Maven people were willing to spend $2k+ for NF and Minox scopes that had passed drop tests, so I don't see the $300 price difference as a barrier. I am not trying to be casual about people's budgets, it just didn't seem like a barrier in the past to get a drop-proof scope.

The reticle inferiority is overblown IMO. Does the tenmile look like a duplex at 3x? No, but it is still completely visible and certainly draws your eye to the center at minimum magnification.
Have you looked through an RS1.2?

It’s a much better view than the Tenmile.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I have extensive time on both, and made an expensive decision to move all my rifles to the 1.2 earlier this year. It was a move of luxury not necessity.

The issue with the tenmile reticle is not the visibility at low power. It indeed draws the eye fairly well to the center. The issue is rather that the tree itself is overly difficult to use due to odd numbering and wind dots. And that tree is needed (because of small elevation available) to practice at long range with small cartridges and short barrels when mounted without cant, using my preferred UM or SM rings.

-J

slowelk

WKR
I have extensive time on both, and made an expensive decision to move all my rifles to the 1.2 earlier this year. It was a move of luxury not necessity.

The issue with the tenmile reticle is not the visibility at low power. It indeed draws the eye fairly well to the center. The issue is rather that the tree itself is overly difficult to use due to odd numbering and wind dots. And that tree is needed (because of small elevation available) to practice at long range with small cartridges and short barrels when mounted without cant, using my preferred UM or SM rings.

-J

This is something I haven't experienced since shooting out to 1k is within one turret revolution for the 6.5 creed my tenmile is mounted on. If I were having to do holdovers though, I'd think that the 0.2 mil increments between dots would be better than the 0.5 mil bar of the 1.2.

I do appreciate the space around the center dot on the 1.2 vs the tenmile. @atmat

I appreciate the discussion. It just seems like there is a perceived mile-wide gap between these scopes, and in use I don't feel that way. I just see it as, don't let perfect be the enemy of good enough.

sndmn11

WKR
I don't understand why people are so dead-set on this scope. Sure, it holds zero and has the "best" ffp reticle currently available but the Trijicon Tenmile is totally functional with only a slightly inferior reticle, and it's available.
The LRHS2 fits the bill as well and solves for the, "I can't see the reticle" crowd.

Spoonbill

WKR
This is something I haven't experienced since shooting out to 1k is within one turret revolution for the 6.5 creed my tenmile is mounted on. If I were having to do holdovers though, I'd think that the 0.2 mil increments between dots would be better than the 0.5 mil bar of the 1.2.

I do appreciate the space around the center dot on the 1.2 vs the tenmile. @atmat

I appreciate the discussion. It just seems like there is a perceived mile-wide gap between these scopes, and in use I don't feel that way. I just see it as, don't let perfect be the enemy of good enough.
My issue with the tenmile is at higher magnifications, I find the tree reticle to be distracting. To be fair, I recently moved away from duplex reticles to “long range” scopes, so a less busy reticle is my preference. I don’t have an RS 1.2 to compare, but I wouldn’t hesitate to pick up another tenmile, it is a less annoying reticle compared to some I have used on friends’ rifles. Just my 2 cents.

OP
Dioni A

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Shoot2HuntU
I've had multiple of both and think the maven is better in most ways. I preferred the 3-18 zoom range and weight of the ten mile. It was an easy decision to swap everything over to the maven for me though. I think it comes down to this. If your not in a hurry get the maven if you can't wait the ten mile is a very good scope.

huntnful

WKR
I have/have had several 3-18 tenmiles. I spent some time at @Dioni A place messing with his Mavens. They are pretty much just a lower mag tenmile, with a more crisp elevation turret and a better FFP hunting reticle. Functions (illumination, zero stop, parallax, zero set) and glass seem to be identical. Would not hesitate to own either one, but if I was buying new, I'd be tempted to go with the Maven if I felt like waiting. It really is an excellent hunting optic.

huntnful

WKR
Well said. If I had to shoot either scope, forever, I feel I would kill the same exact animals with either one, under any and all circumstances, and not care either way. They are much more similar than they are different IMO.

Grundy53

WKR
I would prefer Maven if you could actually get them. But wouldn't hesitate to get a Tenmile if I needed a scope and was on a time crunch.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU

I think we all agree on the spirit of the thing - Tenmile is a great scope and should be purchased without hesitation if time is of the essence.

1) Yes, the box (visibility on low zoom, space around the reticle, and ease of half-mil wind holds) is really nice on the Maven.
2) My particular problem with the Trij tree is that I'll want to dial as much as possible (8.5 mils on my last setup), but then the top of the tree that I'm using to get to 10 mil or some such thing won't have enough wind dots. Alternately I dial less and I'm holding so far down the tree my eye gets lost due to the numbering. All could be solved with a canted rail, it's really just a preference thing. That's why I was on UM to start producing canted direct tikka rings.

-J

Roor

FNG
Can we assume the MOA version is just as robust as MIL? Seems like everyone is wanting the MIL version.

Reactions: NSI

Grizzle

FNG
Just got mine from the July drop (import bs not mavens fault) mounted it and so far pretty impressed hope to get it out shooting next week. Compared it on 4, 10, and 14x next to a vx5hd 4-20 ×52 and it held up really well to end of shooting light. The illumination was really helpful against a dark background but does bleed into the rest of the reticle if turned up to high, 1 to 3 the center dot was clear and clean after that the bleeding got worse but level 2 worked great at last light. During the day you can go up to level 10 against a dark background and not notice the bleed just the center dot.

I really wish they would do an ultralight version of this scope. 2-8x32 or something similar, ffp, no illumination, maybe a 1-in tube if they could do that and have it be just as reliable. If the swfa 3 – 9 is 19 oz, I would think what I've described above could be made at 16 oz or maybe a little less

I really wish they would do an ultralight version of this scope. 2-8x32 or something similar, ffp, no illumination, maybe a 1-in tube if they could do that and have it be just as reliable. If the swfa 3 – 9 is 19 oz, I would think what I've described above could be made at 16 oz or maybe a little less

Outside of rokslide and similar site members, I think the vast majority of “hunters” would say:

“2-8 and FFP? what the heck is that good for?” Then proceed to buy a 4-16x SFP BDC scope because it’s mo betta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk