Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44 new model

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I'm back

With more less than perfect info!

Found a bit to fit scope rings, torque was more than 20, less than 25lbs on the rifle as previously tested.

Today's slightly less cringe worthy testing

Tikka 6.5cm/SWFA 3-9/sportsmatch/KRG-pre drop with hand loads.
Less than stellar shooting, I has happy enough that center of group remained unchanged, I admittedly flinched on a couple shots and was shooting fairly rapid for all.
tikka:krg:swfa pre.jpg

Post drop
tiika:krg:swfa post.jpg

Last edited:

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I should say all torques were checked and adjusted to 65ftlbs on actions, tight as possible on ring bases, and 25lbs on scope rings.

SWFA pulled and mounted on the .223 tikka previously droped

SWFA/Tikka (T3 not T3x) .223/sportsmatch - handloads

tikka:swfa pre.jpg
Last edited:

swavescatter

Pain in the butt!
In fairness, @bluumoon didn’t proof his system before and didn’t even have torque values on his rings. I really appreciate the work he did, but I’d take that with a greater grain of salt than Form’s evals.

To be clear I bought TWO Maven's based on the initial results.

My main point is that it's impossible to directly compare a single person's drop evals, since the forces applied are so poorly controlled. I would not be surprised if shock values varied by an order of magnitude based solely on slight changes in angle/surface between tests. Now throw in completely different people with completely different rifles (center of gravity based on scope/rifle system) on completely different surfaces with different shooting styles....

But this is the first time I've seen so many people attempting the test (differently), and as a whole the results are pretty reassuring.

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
To be clear I bought TWO Maven's based on the initial results.

My main point is that it's impossible to directly compare a single person's drop evals, since the forces applied are so poorly controlled. I would not be surprised if shock values varied by an order of magnitude based solely on slight changes in angle/surface between tests. Now throw in completely different people with completely different rifles (center of gravity based on scope/rifle system) on completely different surfaces with different shooting styles....

But this is the first time I've seen so many people attempting the test (differently), and as a whole the results are pretty reassuring.
I think my take away is that I should test all my own rifles. You can have all the right pieces and still not have a solid system. Do I have a solid system now? Hmm maybe. I certainly have more confidence in it than previous setups.

Thanks for repeating that! To my eyerimeter, I'd say there's a small shift of poi for each of those (6.5 swfa, 223, 6.5 Maven), but small. I will sometimes see that difference in my shooting just due to recoil management changes between strings/rests

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Thanks for repeating that! To my eyerimeter, I'd say there's a small shift of poi for each of those (6.5 swfa, 223, 6.5 Maven), but small. I will sometimes see that difference in my shooting just due to recoil management changes between strings/rests
Maybe, I didn't let rifles cool (read that thread too), could be mirage off barrel issue. Plus my neck was starting to hurt from laying on the ground shooting off a sand bag, I wouldn't discount my lack in shooting skill as primary difference. Last time was pretty clear.

I think my take away is that I should test all my own rifles. You can have all the right pieces and still not have a solid system. Do I have a solid system now? Hmm maybe. I certainly have more confidence in it than previous setups.
I'm with you. The evaluating others do provides great data points on scopes, but it doesnt say much about the suitability of individuals' shooting systems.

Any issues with low/medium mounting on Tikka actions and having ejected brass bounce off the windage and foul the action?

I know there have been some issues with other scopes that have longer windage knobs.

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
Figured I'd drop this here, not trying to derail the thread. But... since this is a gathering place for discussing/appreciating the RS1.2, here's a place to vote on what scope configuration people on here would like to see Maven bring to market next.
I figure it couldn't hurt to crowd source some input within some fixed parameters and see if Maven notices/wants more of our money.

None here on on lefty, which has a larger protruberance than the windage side.

I really appreciate the answers. I have been debating between the Maven and the Bushnell LRHS G2H from GAP and I have heard about issues with the Bushnell LRHS brass on a lower mount.

I was already leaning towards the Maven but I think this clinches it.

Thanks!!