Matthews Z7 developed a limb crack

Hi folks.

My good old trusty Z7 developed a crack in one of the limbs. I love this bow and don't really feel like hanging it up. I will probably order a replacement set from one of Matthews local dealers.

Wondering if other Z7 owners could chime in to share their experiences with limb replacement. Worth it?

Also, while we're at it, I might as well put a new string on it. What is your experience with newer material strings, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

20231215_123741.jpg
20231215_123944.jpg

AnnualRye

Lil-Rokslider
Mine got a crack in the limb back in 2011. Dealer and Mathews took care of it without question or issue.

If it was me, unless I was the original owner, I'd hang it up as a fond memory and get a different (new or newer used) bow rather than stick money into it.

I had an LX that I got new limbs and strings for in 2019. It shot like a dream and I was dead nuts with it out to 75 yards. Couldn't go any farther than that due to the fletching hitting my sight housing.

I sold it, bought a vxr, and regret it every time I pull my bow out.

I'd get some new limbs and strings and keep shooting it. It's plenty fast. An LX was plenty fast.

I can't remember for sure but I think I got America's Best, platinum strings. They seemed to be great and held initial tune.

PMcGee

WKR
Mine cracked years ago. Had them replaced. Still have it as my backup bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m still shooting a Z7 too. I would get it replaced if it were me. I’m a gear junkie but not with my bow. Every year I’ll send a kill pic to a certain friend that says “your still shooting that POS”.

I say “ Yep, cause its still killing Sh*# !“

WKR
I guess I need to take a closer look at my old Z9. I really like that bow and I'd buy new limbs and string for your's if I was you.

I have an LX from 2004 i believe, limb cracked due to a incident when the string jumped the cam. Mathews still covered it and sent new limbs 4 yrs ago, still like shooting it and as a back up bow. So why not get it fixed, newer isn't always that much better.

Arkapig

FNG
I still have a Z7. It's such a good shooting bow and draws so nice. If you still like the bow, I'd buy some new (or used) limbs for it. I was also under the impression that you needed limb turrets that match the limbs.

Another thing worth noting...when Mathews came out with the Z7 (in 2010, I think), they came with SE4 limbs. Starting in 2011, they switched to SE5 limbs.

Hi folks.

My good old trusty Z7 developed a crack in one of the limbs. I love this bow and don't really feel like hanging it up. I will probably order a replacement set from one of Matthews local dealers.

Wondering if other Z7 owners could chime in to share their experiences with limb replacement. Worth it?

Also, while we're at it, I might as well put a new string on it. What is your experience with newer material strings, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 642688
View attachment 642687
I would first look around and try to find a used set, z7 was a wildly popular bow, and there are probably a lot of parts floating around for them that would be cheap

I guess before that it may be worth an inquiry in case Mathews would swap them for free, but I don’t know how they handle older bow problems

If you still hunt with it, it’s worth putting money into, if it sits and you shoot it once a year for nostalgia, just hang it up displayed somewhere

The z7 was a nice bow, I couldn’t warm up to the grip of that vintage of mathews, but I know a lot of people loved them

They should. Pretty sure you can get any part for every bow they’ve ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They make parts for all of their bows, only company that I know of

I’m pretty new to archery, and all I hear is that non-current bows are tough to get parts for. I had no clue Mathews kept up with parts, that’s a great feature I wasn’t aware of to owning one of theirs.

I’m pretty new to archery, and all I hear is that non-current bows are tough to get parts for. I had no clue Mathews kept up with parts, that’s a great feature I wasn’t aware of to owning one of theirs.
Only bow company I know of who has/will build parts for any bow they have made. I’m not a mathews guy, but I certainly appreciate that they do that

I would say I'm not a Mathews guy any longer because I don't care for the current designs, but I love everything up to the z7 and z3.

I wish I wouldn't have sold my LX! I need to stash away some cash to get a switchback, or no cam, or z7 or z3 as a backup.