Looks like Gunnison might be healing up

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
According to the license numbers approved by the Colorado Commission, they must think the Gunnison units are on the mend. Slight increase in deer tags, see Pgs 27,28 here:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/Commission/2012/May/Ch2-Quotas.pdf

What do you Colorado hunters think?

Anyone hunted in last few years down therer?

In 2004, I flew some of that country and saw more bucks than I've ever seen anywhere in 20 years of scouting. After hard winter 07/08, couldn't hardly find them. Would love to see it come back.

I've hunted Unit 55 near Gunnison on the third season in 2005 (draw tag). In 2006 I helped someone on the 4th season and they had a crack at the biggest typical I've ever seen (draw tag).

With the prices way down I hunted the third rifle season on landowner tags in 2010 and 2011 but the quality is no where near what it was. Currently it is a good unit for 160 class bucks but numbers and quality are still way down. Obviously that country is gonna hold a few great bucks, but they are way, way down in numbers.

I don't have experience in any of the other Gunnison units.

Last edited:
There will always be big bucks, especially in CO. But have the numbers, in the herds, gotten back to half of what they were pre 2005? There used to be a hand full of 160+ bucks in ever basin, and 200 inchers in every third basin. I spent some time last year prior to going elk hunting in S CO, and it was very sad at what I didn't see. I really hope that in the next 5-7 years I see some of them numbers back in the high country. I would love for my son's to be able to see what I used to be able to see.

bohntr

WKR
I scouted it last year on a bonsai backpacking trip.........I have absolutely no idea why they increased tags, as the deer numbers I seen were a fraction of what they were prior to the winter of 07/08. Basins that held numerous deer were almost void and those bucks I did see were mid-160's type deer. I think it's a few years away still, and may never return to what it was just a few years ago. JMO

VANDAL

WKR
My buddy drew 54 3rd season this year. He's a good mule deer hunter that will put everything he has in that hunt...it will be interesting to see how he does.

GJ Dave

FNG
I scouted it last year on a bonsai backpacking trip.........I have absolutely no idea why they increased tags, as the deer numbers I seen were a fraction of what they were prior to the winter of 07/08. Basins that held numerous deer were almost void and those bucks I did see were mid-160's type deer. I think it's a few years away still, and may never return to what it was just a few years ago. JMO

I had a very similar experience last year. I spent 4 nights camping and looking in country that once held tons of deer and some great bucks. Overall numbers were way down, and the bucks I did see need a few more years.

ckleeves

WKR
I spent a ton of time up there this winter lion hunting and it wasn't even close to what it was several years ago as far as big bucks on the winter range. I did see a no joke 200" typical in late august scouting for elk over there. But it still seems down on overall deer numbers.