Looking for guidance on WY elk hunt

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
Took me a while to find it, but this fella’s story came to mind when thinking about your situation. Here’s a guy who has experience with elk hunting who met tough challenges over a long period of time trying to seal the deal. Might be worth a read through for perspective…

Thread 'Heading to WY unit 124!'
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/heading-to-wy-unit-124.192374/

Did my first guided hunt ever last year, amazing memories and it was every bit as difficult as diy, I just didn’t have to worry about cooking or the pack out. I’ve been diy hunting for over 20 years in the west and love it. If I could I’d hunt with horses this way every year for the rest of my life, I 100% would pick it over hiking.
View attachment 398527View attachment 398528View attachment 398529View attachment 398530
I do just that every year. I owned my own outfit in Montana. So to take care of horses and hunt for myself and not have to worry about 50 other people is downright fun. And highly successful. But if I drew the tag he has I’d treat myself. I’d let someone else cook feed water and saddle. I’d just hunt my freaking ass off! My guide would have a great hunt too. Sure I could go scout, set camp, and still hunt like a machine. But I’d just enjoy being on the other end of an outfitted hunt for a change AND not have to think about what the top end bull for the area looks like. You only live once! If the OP wants to make memories with his family on a DIY hunt that’s awesome. Do that next time! Do it every year. Just not this year.

Congrats!

I didn’t take the time to read past the 1st page. Forgive me if I repeat some stuff others have said.

Going DIY in unit 100 would be a great option. Do you have a solid 4x4? That, decent glass and a flat shooting rifle are the main things you’ll need. I live very close to 100. PM me with dates and I can see how my schedule looks. I really like running around the Red Desert and would be happy to lend a hand if dates work out. Some things to know:

1- I’m not a guide and can’t score your bull. I never really care about score. I can tell you if it’s a big bull or not.
2- I’d expect you to be a good shot and not take shots you aren’t very comfortable with. We could make some time to go out to one of the ranges here. Sweetwater county ranges are free to the public.
3- I will not hunt with someone that doesn’t handle firearms safely.
4- If you really want to take your elk with a bow, unit 100 will be very challenging. It’s mostly wide open terrain.

None of that is meant to discourage you and it won’t hurt my feelings if you have/make other plans. However you go about it I wish you the best of luck!

Edit: you’d also need decent boots, decent clothes and a good rangefinder. It wouldn’t be a hiking intensive hunt but you should be prepared for some. I have an extra pack frame I’d be happy to loan to you. It may or may not be needed. Even if I’m not with you if/when you make a kill you could contact me with location and I’d get there as soon as I could to help pack him to the truck.

Last edited:

Scoot

WKR
Interesting read. It really highlights to me that different people put different levels of importance in different things. ... and many don't understand that very well and likely won't ever understand that (although I'm sure they'll say "oh I get it, it's just...")

Took me a while to find it, but this fella’s story came to mind when thinking about your situation. Here’s a guy who has experience with elk hunting who met tough challenges over a long period of time trying to seal the deal. Might be worth a read through for perspective…

Thread 'Heading to WY unit 124!'
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/heading-to-wy-unit-124.192374/
Excellent thread. The real deal. A reality check of what elk hunting is like even in units where some guys say don’t worry you’ll kill a good bull there. This guy gave it pure HELL. Great memories for sure because all’s well that ends well. But even with a ton of time to hunt and help from countless people he could easily have eaten the tag. It’s worth noting that he lives in a state with elk and had prior elk hunting experience. And even though he succeeded in the end the memories are not of a very enjoyable hunt. In all the comments on this thread we all forget to mention the Wyoming wind and mud. It’s not like other wind. Relentless! And it’s not like other mud. Indescribable! Who here can say they are ready willing and able to hunt like this guy did?

Thanks Woodrow for taking the time to dig this thread up and share it. In my opinion you did the OP some justice by adding it to this thread.

MRC

FNG
124 and 100 are different units. I hunted cow elk in 124 and finding elk in 124 was much harder than 100. I hunted antelope in 60 and saw elk everyday. 124 gives a long season and we saw a 360’s bull shot by an Extreme Outfitters client out of a herd we were stalking.Have hunted a lot but live in Ohio so i‘m not an elk expert. I’ve done quite a few guided hunts and people that talk like guides and outfitters are your friends are wrong. The guy with the 360 bull wasn’t the hunter. He was the shooter. When we shot the cow elk there was a 320 bull with it. I would rather shoot the 320 bull on my own than the 360 with the guide.

tdhanses

WKR
Interesting read. It really highlights to me that different people put different levels of importance in different things. ... and many don't understand that very well and likely won't ever understand that (although I'm sure they'll say "oh I get it, it's just...")
I guess I don’t see everything as a shareable experience but the other 99% of life for me is, call it selfish to have something for your self but most would say it’s selfish to go hunt period away from family as it takes time away.

tdhanses

WKR
124 and 100 are different units. I hunted cow elk in 124 and finding elk in 124 was much harder than 100. I hunted antelope in 60 and saw elk everyday. 124 gives a long season and we saw a 360’s bull shot by an Extreme Outfitters client out of a herd we were stalking.Have hunted a lot but live in Ohio so i‘m not an elk expert. I’ve done quite a few guided hunts and people that talk like guides and outfitters are your friends are wrong. The guy with the 360 bull wasn’t the hunter. He was the shooter. When we shot the cow elk there was a 320 bull with it. I would rather shoot the 320 bull on my own than the 360 with the guide.
So did the hunter just sit at camp till they tied the bull up and then come shoot it from 1200 yds away?

MRC

FNG
That 360’s bull was shot in the first hour on opening day. I know the score because they brought it into Baggs after the kill. People in Baggs said Extreme Outfitters have multiple people scouting all over the unit for big bulls. The shooter had a one hour hunt. Will that be the most memorable hunt of his life?I hope not.

bsnedeker

WKR
If you had a governors tag you would be happy with a 320 bull?

Ok.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

That 360’s bull was shot in the first hour on opening day. I know the score because they brought it into Baggs after the kill. People in Baggs said Extreme Outfitters have multiple people scouting all over the unit for big bulls. The shooter had a one hour hunt. Will that be the most memorable hunt of his life?I hope not.
You’re disproving your point. The day or two after that that bull would have been 10 times harder to find and kill. Getting an opportunity on a bull like that before the shit hits the fan was a big part of the value of his hunt. Guys like you with cow tags would have told that bull it’s time to play the game.

A point I’ll make is some people are just anti outfitter and will never give credit where credit’s due when it comes to a guided hunt.

And yes! Who would shoot a 320 bull there by choice when you can find them in most general license areas? I suppose if you were on a DIY hunt and 30 days into it you hadn’t had an opportunity you might.

Add to that the fact that the person asking for advice in this thread would likely think that the first 280 bull he saw was in fact a 320 and I can really see this tag not being used for its true potential.

When I did the outdoor show circuit I used to keep a representative bull mount in my booth. One that was a realistic expectation for hunters not some 350 bull they would likely never see. Hunters would point at that bull and say I’d be happy with a 300 incher like that. The bull was officially scored at 260 3/8.

Last edited:
I’d be happier with a good bull that I found myself. For me it’s about the experience as much as anything. The rest is just numbers. Not that I wouldn’t be ecstatic to take a trophy like that, it’s just not what drives me. To each his own.

MRC

FNG
I actually bid on a commissioners tag three years ago and I wanted it so I could go by myself. Retired, plenty of time,and Wyoming allowing you to hunt archery for a month before rifle and then 124 allowing Oct. thru November for rifle was very attractive.Didn’t get it and was out of my mind for trying. If I won one I’d do it myself. Who do you think will remember the hunt more. The guy that shot the bull in the first hour that was scouted for him or the one that was successful in 124 after a long hard hunt?

MRC

FNG
I actually give the guides all the credit for that 360’s bull.

Folks ought to consider how they think and feel about things change over time. I think there's a good chance the OP, hugging his dad for the last time, will 100% not regret going DIY and having an adventure. I know I'll never get that chance with my dad and I'd trade a bull any of you would shoot on a governors tag if I could.

bsnedeker

WKR
Folks ought to consider how they think and feel about things change over time. I think there's a good chance the OP, hugging his dad for the last time, will 100% not regret going DIY and having an adventure. I know I'll never get that chance with my dad and I'd trade a bull any of you would shoot on a governors tag if I could.
Again I ask the obvious question: Why can't his dad come on the guided hunt?

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
I completely agree with this thought process. I do not blame the OP for wanting to include family one bit, encourage it!

I will ask again though, why has this conversation turned so dichotomous? Either or? Just because he utilizes a guide does not mean he has to do it like JJ did in Arizona... He can utilize a guide, include his dad and son for minimal added cost, AND have increased chance at success for both filling tag and creating memories with family...

I proposed secret door #3 earlier in this thread. Think I was the first to do so. As to the answer to your question, I don’t know ask the OP.

I can totally see the difference in the experience tho, dad+outfitter vs just dad. I’ve never hired a guide but I can imagine doing something DIY is more rewarding.

Scoot

WKR
I guess I don’t see everything as a shareable experience but the other 99% of life for me is, call it selfish to have something for your self but most would say it’s selfish to go hunt period away from family as it takes time away.
You are making my point. I said "..different people put different levels of importance in different things..." You wouldn't want to share it, and that's great- if you're ever in the OPs shoes, sounds like you'd choose to not have anyone else tag along. The OP obviously wants something different than that, which is also great.

"...different people put different levels of importance in different things..."

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
I have not read all of the posts. But as someone else stated. This is truly the "golden ticket". It is a high class problem to have. I have been DIY on 10+ elk hunts. (Never guided) But I think I would go all in and go guided. Find someone who can get you a top notch experience. You have a top notch tag.

In the case of 100, your guide could be a Rokslider offering their time. Since you are an elk virgin, you need someone to sort and ID what is truly trophy caliber. You also need someone to give you tough love when times are tough. (NOTHING can beat you down like hunting elk)