Looking for good cartridge and budget rifle for 14 y/o

I mean umph like KE umph. KE is what breaks ribs and penetrates animals hide. I bow hunt my fair share and know that KE energy is real and not “in my imagination”. End of the day I’m trying to get my kid a rifle and expand his hunting opportunities.

If you bow hunt a "fair share", you should also know that KE doesn't matter in bow kills either. It is momentum and the sharpness of your broadheads that matter the most when it comes to penetration. Penetration matters for bow kills because the wound channel is much smaller and you need to drive that broadhead deep and cut as many blood vessels as possible so that the animal expires quickly. Of course, you could be the guy that heart shoots his deer every single time, so it doesn't matter.

Because every man and his mom, wife, son, daughter, labrabador, house cat, and horse has a 6.5 creedmoor where i live, i don't see it usually on the shelves.
You do realize that you can buy ammo off of the internet right? Probably save yourself some money too.

Form gave you the answer above. Read the threads regarding the .223, 6mm, and 6.5mm performance on big game animals. It is all about getting a bullet on target and having that bullet tear stuff up inside the animal. KE, frontal diameter, etc. mean nothing if you (or your kid) is flinching so bad you have no actual idea where the bullet is going to go when the trigger is pulled.

.243/6 creedmoor
6.5 creedmoor

I wouldn’t even mess with a 7mm-08. It does absolutely nothing better than what a 6.5 Creedmoor does. Or just use 155 grain ELDM in .308.

Also JVB and Ron spoomer are fuddlore kings. Just don’t, with either of those two tards.

House21

FNG
I’d pick him up a 7mm-08 in a rifle that feels right to him and has adjustability for him as he grows. There’s nothing wrong with the 6’s or 6.5’s I’m just partial to a 7mm and have taken everything from yotes to moose with the 08. But don’t overlook the 6.5’s because of lots of internet hate, they work great

OP
H

HappyHuntr

If you bow hunt a "fair share", you should also know that KE doesn't matter in bow kills either. It is momentum and the sharpness of your broadheads that matter the most when it comes to penetration.
1. There is potential energy and kinetic energy. When the arrow is drawn back it has its highest potential energy(PE) and low KE. When the arrow is released, that PE is transformed into KE and the more KE there is the more impact will hit the animal.

2. I’m not saying a arrow shot with (just for example to keep it simple) 10 newtons of KE and a field point is gonna be more effective than a arrow shot with 7 newtons and a razor sharp broadhead.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

Also JVB and Ron spoomer are fuddlore kings. Just don’t, with either of those two tards.
It’s funny that the same people who lose their crap when I joke about a cartridge also find it completely acceptable to call accomplished hunters tards. You kinda lose credibility.

xsn10s

WKR
Well I find it funny that some talk about how the 30-06 kills scopes, causes severe scope eye, and ruins people due to flinch, but don't say anything about kids shooting a muzzleloader sending a 300 gr bullet at 2650 fps. Then the same person says a lightweight 243 win could cause problems lol.

Well I find it funny that some talk about how the 30-06 kills scopes, causes severe scope eye, and ruins people due to flinch, but don't say anything about kids shooting a muzzleloader sending a 300 gr bullet at 2650 fps. Then the same person says a lightweight 243 win could cause problems lol.
I can promise you my muzzleloader will ruin a kid and half the grown men here.

It’s funny that the same people who lose their crap when I joke about a cartridge also find it completely acceptable to call accomplished hunters tards. You kinda lose credibility.
I don’t care what you or your kid shoot or what you call cartridges. JVB and spoomer are fudd tards. If you feel they are the end all, be all luck to you. Just watch out for the elk with 12inchs of muscle you have punch through.
You have received plenty of good info but seem hell bent on making a choice based on umph, potential energy, kinetic energy, and because you feel one cartridge is gay.
Good luck my dude.

Last edited:

xsn10s

WKR
My kids kill whitetails with a muzzleloader that has a 300 grain bullet going 2650 fps. They make some shots most guys couldn't make with a 6.5 prc. Ask them to shoot 2 shots back to back and you usually a flinch on the second shot.

Last edited:

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
What brake do you use. I’m shooting 275s at nearly 2800 and it’s some punch.
I'm not certain, but I believe it is a Hollands quick discharge. It has 3 side ports and three large top ports. It is not self timing. I can spot my own shots past 350 yards with the 2650 load. With the 2050 load I can almost watch the bullet make a hole in the paper at 100 yards, but not quite. It does help that it is a 15# gun.

I have used Holland brakes on prs guns and they are great at reducing muzzle rise and seeing trace and splash. The problem is, I only have one and my daughter has laid claim to it.

I'm not certain, but I believe it is a Hollands quick discharge. It has 3 side ports and three large top ports. It is not self timing. I can spot my own shots past 350 yards with the 2650 load. With the 2050 load I can almost watch the bullet make a hole in the paper at 100 yards, but not quite. It does help that it is a 15# gun.

I have used Holland brakes on prs guns and they are great at reducing muzzle rise and seeing trace and splash. The problem is, I only have one and my daughter has laid claim to it.
I have a Hankins self timing 4 side port brake on mine. Probably 12 pounds outfitted with a scope and it’ll rock you hard. I had my oldest a cva 45-70 converted and she wouldn’t shoot it so I sent it down the road. Wishing I had kept it. Best picture I have of the setup 2F7BF933-851E-4D46-8E43-021B211A53FE.jpeg

OP
H

HappyHuntr

Everybody i am so sorry that I called the 6.5CM gay. I didn't realize that it was so sensitive but my bad. I never said anything about JVB and Spomer being the end all be all. If i did, please reply with an unedited version of me specifically stating "JVB(or Spomer) is the end all be all". I am soaking in all information and will most likely be getting the kid a 243 or 7-08 if he shoots the /06 and just hates it.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

I completely agree i lack personal knowledge. That's why I put up this thread.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

Btw I'm not making my decisions off of the frontal diameter comment on JVB's video. Just wanted opinions and obviously JVB's full of it so thank you.