Looking for good cartridge and budget rifle for 14 y/o

OP
H

HappyHuntr

6mm creedmoor would be a no-brainer but the name might trigger you
Oh no, somebody doesn't like my personal favorite cartridge, LIFE HANGS IN THE BALANCE.

As I said, im not a rifleman by any means, but im not an idiot. Im not buying a cartridge thats not available locally and personal friends haven't had success with because it's a super popular cartridge and guys on rokslide who hunt in completely different situations than me really like it. If you can kill elk at 800 yards with your 6.5 creed, more credit to you, but it's not for me nd most importantly not for my kid. Me personally, i can pull a lot of bow weight, but i don't like anything above 70lbs. for archery. Why? It's impractical and i'm not going to use something i think is impractial just because Joe Rogan shoots 80 lbs.

AK EricB

FNG
All three of my kids started hunting in western Oregon and Washington. I started two of them with 7mm-.08 and one with .308. They've all shot mule deer and blacktail with them and now hunt the same rifles in SE Alaska for Sitka blacktail and black bear. The 7-08 is lower recoil but both are great for just about anyone.

As to rifle, I started them with the Savage 110. A little more expensive than some of the low end rifles but still on the low end and good quality. The 110 storm is great with the adjustable LOP.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

All three of my kids started hunting in western Oregon and Washington. I started two of them with 7mm-.08 and one with .308. They've all shot mule deer and blacktail with them and now hunt the same rifles in SE Alaska for Sitka blacktail and black bear. The 7-08 is lower recoil but both are great for just about anyone.

As to rifle, I started them with the Savage 110. A little more expensive than some of the low end rifles but still on the low end and good quality. The 110 storm is great with the adjustable LOP.
Thank you. What made you give two the 7-08 and the other the 308. Ballistics, recoil, etc.?

eric1115

WKR
Is 6.5 creed under 10? I’ve seen 6.5 cm at 13 foot pounds of recoil and 7-08 at like 15. Now ammo availability is another thing that’s important.
That's what I'm saying. 6.5CM is a little less recoil than 7mm-08 but not as much less as I'd like. I'd rather run a 6.5 120 than a 7mm 120, but a 120 over 43ish grains of powder recoils about the same no matter what the head stamp says.

A 6CM is better, and a 6mm ARC is great.

KenLee

WKR
That's what I'm saying. 6.5CM is a little less recoil than 7mm-08 but not as much less as I'd like. I'd rather run a 6.5 120 than a 7mm 120, but a 120 over 43ish grains of powder recoils about the same no matter what the head stamp says.

A 6CM is better, and a 6mm ARC is great.
Neither me or the 5 others who have shot similar weight x-bolt 6.5 Creedmoor and 7mm-08 in rotation can tell any difference in recoil when using the same weight ammo. That's 120 gr NBT factory rounds in each and 140 gr nbt 7mm-08 vs 143 gr eld-x 6.5 Creedmoor.
Some are not a fan of 120s from a 7mm-08, but I can assure you that 120 gr nbt 7mm and 120 gr ttsx 7mm bullets wreck animals. The 120 gr nbt is my favorite 7mm-08 round.
My Savage 110 6.5 creedmoor kicks a little less than the x-bolts, but its a 1.5 pound heavier overall rig. Heavier rifle and heavier scope.

Neither me or the 5 others who have shot similar weight x-bolt 6.5 Creedmoor and 7mm-08 in rotation can tell any difference in recoil when using the same weight ammo. That's 120 gr NBT factory rounds in each and 140 gr nbt 7mm-08 vs 143 gr eld-x 6.5 Creedmoor.
Some are not a fan of 120s from a 7mm-08, but I can assure you that 120 gr nbt 7mm and 120 gr ttsx 7mm bullets wreck animals. The 120 gr nbt is my favorite 7mm-08 round.
My Savage 110 6.5 creedmoor kicks a little less than the x-bolts, but its a 1.5 pound heavier overall rig. Heavier rifle and heavier scope.
Have you found any 120nbt in 7mm in the last 2-3 years? We killed several with them when I had a 7-08 but I haven’t seen any in a long time

KenLee

WKR
Have you found any 120nbt in 7mm in the last 2-3 years? We killed several with them when I had a 7-08 but I haven’t seen any in a long time
I bought 4 boxes of factory loaded 7mm-08 a few months back. I'll see if I can find where if you are wanting some. I see the 7mm 120nbt just bullets fairly often.

I bought 4 boxes of factory loaded 7mm-08 a few months back. I'll see if I can find where if you are wanting some. I see the 7mm 120nbt just bullets fairly often.
I’m out of the 7mm game these days, but I know for a long time they were unobtainable. Several guys on another forum swear by them and got me on them for a time.

KenLee

WKR
I’m out of the 7mm game these days, but I know for a long time they were unobtainable. Several guys on another forum swear by them and got me on them for a time.
I've only been using 7mm-08s for about 10 years, but have never had much of a problem finding them online. Midway has the factory loaded 7mm-08 120nbt in stock now, but they are 50 bucks a box. I usually pay $35ish and look for the sweet spot on how many boxes vs shipping cost.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Oh no, somebody doesn't like my personal favorite cartridge, LIFE HANGS IN THE BALANCE.
I'm not sure what that means, but you seem to be overly emotional about inanimate objects.

Good luck in whatever you're attempting to accomplish.

idk what’s available locally for you and what cartridges you’ve currently ruled out for other reasons but I’d say ruger american in 243 or 6 creed or 6.5 creed or even something in 6 arc would work based on what I’ve read on here. Eldms are fantastic that’s based on personal use that I decided to try because of what I read on this thread.

eric1115

WKR
I have experience with that bullet. The 120 NBT was the bullet I loaded for my son's 7mm-08. Reliable killer, but not very impressive wounds in my experience. No specific complaints about that bullet, I've just had a gradual shift toward lighter recoiling rifles for kids. I agree that a 6.5CM isn't going to have a substantially different recoil characteristic with like bullet weights.

KenLee

WKR
I have experience with that bullet. The 120 NBT was the bullet I loaded for my son's 7mm-08. Reliable killer, but not very impressive wounds in my experience. No specific complaints about that bullet, I've just had a gradual shift toward lighter recoiling rifles for kids. I agree that a 6.5CM isn't going to have a substantially different recoil characteristic with like bullet weights.
The 140gr nbt splatter a bigger wound track, but the thicker jacket 120 gr usually penetrate better from what I've seen.
I like the added penetration because my 7mm-08s are usually getting shot by kids or fairly inexperienced ladies. The shot angles and/or placement often aren’t ideal. Heck my shooting these days is nowhere near perfect either 😉

KenLee

WKR
idk what’s available locally for you and what cartridges you’ve currently ruled out for other reasons but I’d say ruger american in 243 or 6 creed or 6.5 creed or even something in 6 arc would work based on what I’ve read on here. Eldms are fantastic that’s based on personal use that I decided to try because of what I read on this thread.
I have no experience with the 2nd gen Ruger American rifles, but I've owned and shot many calibers in the original Ruger American line. All of them kicked hard per caliber, in my opinion. Maybe the stocks just don't fit me, but compared to the other rifles I routinely shoot, the RAs were stout. It wasn't just because the RA was light, as I have many rifles in the 6 pound bare range.

Rjk300

FNG
Do you know anyone with any of the calibers you are considering that will let your son shoot them? I’m all about reducing recoil for comfort and helping stay on target to spot shots so a brake or suppressor is use on most of my rifles. My daughter is 16 now and she has been choosing the rifle she hunts with from the safe for the last 3 years. The only thing I did was make sure she was proficient with it at the distances she would be shooting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

HappyHuntr

A 6CM is better, and a 6mm ARC is great
Thank you.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

I will look for these. Thank you Ken and pickettpuncher.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

The 140gr nbt splatter a bigger wound track, but the thicker jacket 120 gr usually penetrate better from what I've seen.
I like the added penetration because my 7mm-08s are usually getting shot by kids or fairly inexperienced ladies. The shot angles and/or placement often aren’t ideal. Heck my shooting these days is nowhere near perfect either 😉
Another consideration is frontal diameter. I'll sacrifice the high B.C. bullets of the 6.5CM for larger bullets of the 7-08. Just watched Joseph Von Benedikt talk about elk cartridges and he made a point about frontal diameter.