Looking for good cartridge and budget rifle for 14 y/o

OP
H

HappyHuntr

Do you know anyone with any of the calibers you are considering that will let your son shoot them? I’m all about reducing recoil for comfort and helping stay on target to spot shots so a brake or suppressor is use on most of my rifles. My daughter is 16 now and she has been choosing the rifle she hunts with from the safe for the last 3 years. The only thing I did was make sure she was proficient with it at the distances she would be shooting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My duck hunting land owner has a kid who took an elk with a 243 Savage Axis who I'm good buddies with. I have a fishing trip in Neah Bay planned for early April and he will be going so would be a good time to get his personal opinion on cartridges and stuff. Will try to get him to shoot that rifle soon as possible.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

I'm not sure what that means, but you seem to be overly emotional about inanimate objects.

Good luck in whatever you're attempting to accomplish.
Your making a straw man. You're saying "the name is going to trigger me" when my reason for choosing a rifle for my KID has nothing to do with the name but everything to due with availability and what makes sense. I will get what the kid wants. Now, if he says he wants a 458 win mag I'll say no way because it is EXTREMELY impractical, expensive and i would not feel comfortable giving him that. If he wants a 6.5CM, I'll happily get him one, but we will look over why he wants it but this will happen with all cartridges. I think you're emotional because I said something that is a commonly used joke, and you took it personally. I mean were adults here like don't take it so personally.

Rjk300

FNG
I think that’s a good place to start! It easier to build fundamentals than brake bad habits. Not all bad habits come from recoil but it definitely can and will cause issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
LOL ok well I don't flinch and like I said the reduced recoil loads would recoil less than the 6.5 CM. One guy on midwayusa reviews uses it for his girls and they kill whitetails with it. But whatever lol.
My kids kill whitetails with a muzzleloader that has a 300 grain bullet going 2650 fps. They make some shots most guys couldn't make with a 6.5 prc. Ask them to shoot 2 shots back to back and you usually a flinch on the second shot.

Another consideration is frontal diameter. I'll sacrifice the high B.C. bullets of the 6.5CM for larger bullets of the 7-08. Just watched Joseph Von Benedikt talk about elk cartridges and he made a point about frontal diameter.
If you compare the 243, 6cm, 6.5cm, 7-08, 308, 25-06, 270, 30-06 strictly based on wounds, you’d never tell them apart. Between the 6.5cm and 7-08, the difference between is a toss up out to 400 yards, ballistically. I see an argument made quite often about all these other cartridges and people immediately discredit the cm. Never figured that out. And not to bash you at all, but you yourself said you weren’t a rifleman. Soak in what these guys are telling you.

Lee_R

Lil-Rokslider
Here you go if you can work out shipping.

xsn10s

WKR
My kids kill whitetails with a muzzleloader that has a 300 grain bullet going 2650 fps. They make some shots most guys couldn't make with a 6.5 prc. Ask them to shoot 2 shots back to back and you usually a flinch on the second shot.
That's vastly different than the 30-06 that I stated in my posts. My 30-06 is a M70 featherweight with a Sims buttpad. Not a big deal to shoot 180 gr to 200 gr loads for me. I said for the OP to start out with reduced recoil ammo. The 125gr bullet going 2700 fps from that ammo would have less recoil than most 6.5 CM ammo. Well below your muzzle loader load.

Another consideration is frontal diameter. I'll sacrifice the high B.C. bullets of the 6.5CM for larger bullets of the 7-08. Just watched Joseph Von Benedikt talk about elk cartridges and he made a point about frontal diameter.
That two hundredths of an inch is the real killer.

Isn't JVB also the guy who says you have to shoot through a foot of muscle and bone?

OP
H

HappyHuntr

If you compare the 243, 6cm, 6.5cm, 7-08, 308, 25-06, 270, 30-06 strictly based on wounds, you’d never tell them apart. Between the 6.5cm and 7-08, the difference between is a toss up out to 400 yards, ballistically. I see an argument made quite often about all these other cartridges and people immediately discredit the cm. Never figured that out. And not to bash you at all, but you yourself said you weren’t a rifleman. Soak in what these guys are telling you.
Thank you. Admit myself as not being the most open of minds.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
That's vastly different than the 30-06 that I stated in my posts. My 30-06 is a M70 featherweight with a Sims buttpad. Not a big deal to shoot 180 gr to 200 gr loads for me. I said for the OP to start out with reduced recoil ammo. The 125gr bullet going 2700 fps from that ammo would have less recoil than most 6.5 CM ammo. Well below your muzzle loader load.
It has a very effective brake on it and we use ear pro, as was stated in my original post. I guarantee it does not kick any harder than the standard 7 or 8 lb 30.06 hunting gun with no muzzle device. I have sighted several in for friends with 165-180 grain loads. They kick hard. Even a lightweight 243 with no muzzle device and 95+ grain bullets kicks hard enough to potentially start bad habits. The difference is, there are people in this thread that shoot 5000+ rounds of rifle ammo annually, in an intentional practice regiment, and those that see that as a lifetime of shooting. There is nothing wrong with either crowd. The difference, that most fail to notice, is that a month's experience for one is a decade's experience for the other. There are things that the former will learn from that experience that the latter will likely never have the opportunity to come across.

It has a very effective brake on it and we use ear pro, as was stated in my original post. I guarantee it does not kick any harder than the standard 7 or 8 lb 30.06 hunting gun with no muzzle device. I have sighted several in for friends with 165-180 grain loads. They kick hard. Even a lightweight 243 with no muzzle device and 95+ grain bullets kicks hard enough to potentially start bad habits. The difference is, there are people in this thread that shoot 5000+ rounds of rifle ammo annually, in an intentional practice regiment, and those that see that as a lifetime of shooting. There is nothing wrong with either crowd. The difference, that most fail to notice, is that a month's experience for one is a decade's experience for the other. There are things that the former will learn from that experience that the latter will likely never have the opportunity to come across.
What brake do you use. I’m shooting 275s at nearly 2800 and it’s some punch.