Looking for advice on rifle inaccuracy

OP
hikehuntrescue
on the velocity being slightly slow, isnt the barrel on the lightweight hunter 20 inches??
Yes it is, and I assume that's part of it considering the Nosler test barrels are 24". FWIW, the Nosler E-tip 140g factory ammo shoots in the upper 2700 range, sometime tipping over 2800fps in my rifle. Obviously I expect not to be able to get there with the heavier 150gr, but given the lack of pressure signs (and the fact that the Hogdon manual says max charge is 47gr — I had only loaded up to 44.0 per the Nosler numbers), I'm inspired to keep going until I see higher pressures.

since you are new to reloading, keep in mind that differences in reloading data are often due to case capacity differences between different brands of brass, and OAL (how much case capacity bullet uses up, and differences in bullets........

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
All good news as the fun begins with reloading. Don’t be afraid to try several bullets of different weights, different OAL, primer etc as you search for the ultimate right fit. You should be able to get the best groups near the top of your velocity range but often guns prefer a single bullet weight. My 46 year old 7mm Remington shoots 150 grain Barnes TTSX or Nosler BT’s into one hole a little over 3100 FPS but not at all special with 140’s or 160’s.

Your rifle will likely determine the final load you choose instead of the other way around since you become aware of the performance available to you. The 20” barrel will cost you a little velocity but if you can consistently hit a 4” circle at 400 yards who cares.

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
All good news as the fun begins with reloading. Don’t be afraid to try several bullets of different weights, different OAL, primer etc as you search for the ultimate right fit. You should be able to get the best groups near the top of your velocity range but often guns prefer a single bullet weight. My 46 year old 7mm Remington shoots 150 grain Barnes TTSX or Nosler BT’s into one hole a little over 3100 FPS but not at all special with 140’s or 160’s.

Your rifle will likely determine the final load you choose instead of the other way around since you become aware of the performance available to you. The 20” barrel will cost you a little velocity but if you can consistently hit a 4” circle at 400 yards who cares.

Vern400

WKR
One piece game reapers are badass mounts. The gun probably didn't change unless you let the bore rust and a lot of guys do. Most likely you hit the scope. You could do a 2 shot zero adjust and confirm with one shot. I'd rather have 4 cartridges and know where they're going. If I ran a 7-08 I'd mail a brother hunter a handful. But I shoot 308.

OP
hikehuntrescue
Just to follow up -- the culprit was the loose action screws after all. Once I got my reloading setup going (and to my great surprise finding some factory 7mm-08 ammo), I got to work testing variables and everything tightened up once I got the action screws torqued properly.

I'm more than 100 rounds into testing various loads, and my scope has been rock solid. Not that it stops me from drooling over the new Leupold scope I had picked out :).

Thanks all for the advice.