Looking for advice on rifle inaccuracy

Wrench

WKR
When you set the front action screw, sharpie the end. Torque it and make sure it doesn't bottom on the bolt. That is important.

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
Ethical hunters don’t hunt with a rifle that isn’t shooting predictably.

Seven rounds is an absolute minimum for a hunt - you need more - that should be top priority. I had a scope do what you describe & missed the biggest buck I’ve ever had in my scope in CO then missed another the next week at home. I shot at a 10-12” rock to check zero in CO Vrogjt after the miss and must have hit the edge. Got rid of the scope put dual dovetail mounts & a Zeiss Conquest on over 15 years & animals without a miss. You have good mounts but you still need to check them before hunting again in my opinion.

Buy more ammo check your groups & if it doesn’t shoot replace the scope, Try to borrow one if you have to but this Burris FF2 for under $200 4.5-14x42 is a lifetime warranty scope just bought one for my grandson on a Savage 300 WSM working well out to 500 yards so far. https://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-45-14x42mm-fullfield-ii-rifle-scope.html

You will never be sorry for buying a little nicer scope than you thought you needed the opposite is never true. I like Zeiss, Meopta, Leupold hunting scopes these days & prefer the drop reticle so I never have to dial for distance in the field and keep things simple. Redhawk rifles has great deals on Zeiss demos but will still likely cost more than your rifle. You can always get those scopes repaired & get most of your money back if you sell them. Avoid cheap scopes including lower end Vortex (below viper) they will fix them but the failure rate is too high for me.

Reloading is an excellent way to make your ammunition both more accurate and dependable your wallet controls the supply not some big supply chain & you Really save money. I haven’t shot a factory round at an animal in 30+ years. It’s rare that you don’t improve accuracy by 10-25% or more over factory.

Rich M

WKR
I'd take 1 of your remaining 7 bullets and check the zero at 200 or 300 and verify that all is well again.

Then go get that buck you missed. Good luck!

OP
hikehuntrescue
Ethical hunters don’t hunt with a rifle that isn’t shooting predictably.

I agree 100%. In the present case, I have a rifle that predictably shoots 3-4 MOA at 100yds. So while my effective range is dramatically reduced, you better believe I'll still be out chasing elk.

OP
hikehuntrescue
I'm very very very thankful to report that I found 16 rds of Hornady superformance GMX ammo when cleaning out my closet yesterday. It's not a lot, but it's enough for me to feel confident removing my scope to check the mounting screws and then head to the range and re-zero / test for accuracy.

My rifle doesn't like the superformance factory ammo, but if memory serves that stuff shoots in the ~3 MOA range for me. If after cleaning I can put 8 rds or so in a 3" group, I'll be a lot more confident that my equipment isn't broken.

Based on tracking and shipping info, it's looking probable that I'll be able to hand-load and do some basic development before elk opener on the 30th. Finger's crossed!

OP
hikehuntrescue
Do you know what you are doing?
No I do not, but I have a mentor lined up and I've been reading like mad.

I have a good technical background (I studied engineering and mathematics in college) and my best friend who lives in our garage apt is an aero engineer and machinist. So with an experienced reloader mentoring me/us, I'm confident we can at least get the job done safely.

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you have a plan - don't over 'engineer' it. Since you are on a timeline, be safe and set your expectations within reality.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Best of luck!

Wrench

WKR
No I do not, but I have a mentor lined up and I've been reading like mad.

I have a good technical background (I studied engineering and mathematics in college) and my best friend who lives in our garage apt is an aero engineer and machinist. So with an experienced reloader mentoring me/us, I'm confident we can at least get the job done safely.
Get your hands on "Rifle Accuracy Facts" by Vaughn. This book is the reference standard for how and why rifles work and don't.

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like things may be looking up but I would suggest if you are removing your scope & know someone willing to put it on a different known accuracy Rifle a 3 shot group at 100 yds can determine if the scope is the problem with certainty.

More bad news unfortunately- once your old scope starts to crater it ceases to be predictable. It may stay like it is or have a large point of impact shift caused by carrying/shooting as it was originally. I had the focus blur & the reticle fall apart on an old Bushnell Banner on a 45 yard shot at a broadside doe - I was so close I figured it couldn’t miss - I spined her but that was a big error.

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
I hope your loose screws are the problem, but welcome to reloading it will certainly appeal to your mechanical engineer side. As suggested earlier hunting ammunition isn’t required to be 1,000 yard match ammo. Consistent powder measure, solid case preparation and using the exact same components is all you need. Changing a primer can turn a 3” group into 1/2” & vice versa on some loads.

rayporter

WKR
where are you located?

i will offer to put the scope on a scope checker and verify if the scope is holding POI.

however it would need to be removed to install it on the checker.
ray

OP
hikehuntrescue
Thanks again folks. I officially have my components in hand and equipment set up. I loaded some practice/testing rounds with some Sierra GameKings and PPU brass. I'm picking up bullet comparator and shoulder comparator attachments for my calipers today, and once I have those I will load a workup of my hunting ammo.

Headed to the range with my hunting buddy and a borrowed chronograph on Wednesday to do some testing. If my scope becomes an issue, I've already verified a few local-ish options to pick up a Vortex or Leupold replacement. I've just about drained my hunting budget on reloading components, so hopefully I don't have to use the rest of it on a new scope :/.

Wish me luck!

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
I think the comparator purchases are purely nice to have - the chronograph if a good one is a great investment but none are necessary if you are staying within conservative load limits. Sounds like a great start but your shotgun group accuracy elk hunting scope almost certainly will need to be replaced even to adequately test your new reloads.

OXN939

WKR
Thanks again folks. I officially have my components in hand and equipment set up. I loaded some practice/testing rounds with some Sierra GameKings and PPU brass. I'm picking up bullet comparator and shoulder comparator attachments for my calipers today, and once I have those I will load a workup of my hunting ammo.

Headed to the range with my hunting buddy and a borrowed chronograph on Wednesday to do some testing. If my scope becomes an issue, I've already verified a few local-ish options to pick up a Vortex or Leupold replacement. I've just about drained my hunting budget on reloading components, so hopefully I don't have to use the rest of it on a new scope :/.

Wish me luck!

There are a ton of things that can cause the issue you describe originally, and you've definitely gotten some great advice. It's also obvious you have a very analytical and scientific approach to things, which will help you a ton getting into reloading.

Some recommendations I'd make:

1. Avoid Vortex riflescopes if you do have to replace yours. I love the company and use their spotters/ binos/ rangefinders, but they are simply an importer of generally mid-to-low quality scopes and I've had the zero walk on two separate Filipino-made Vortexes, in exactly the manner you describe. Their Razors are an exception to this.

2. Reloading usually takes a while to get figured out. There is, however, an easy button that would probably allow you to get set for season. If you can find Varget powder, get a pound or two of that and order whichever Hammer bullets work best for the twist rate of your rifle. They are about 4 times as easy to get shooting well as any other bullet I've ever played with.

OP
hikehuntrescue
Hey folks!

After securing the components I needed to load some more ammo, I followed your recommendation and did a full disassembly, cleaning, and re-torquing / loctite-ing of the action and scope/mounting screws. The aforementioned action screws were the only ones out of spec.

I just got back from the range testing my first set of reloads (and some Superformance GMX factory ammo I scrounged up), and I'm very happy to report that my scope performed flawlessly. I sent 72 rounds downrange and saw no walking POI, I didn't shoot a single group today over 2 MOA, and a couple of my groups were right around 3/4 MOA.

I'm getting about 100 fps slower velocities than the Nosler manual indicates and I didn't see any pressure signs, so I'm going to load a little hotter and see if I can get over 2600fps (with my 150gr e-tips) and stay in the 3/4 MOA range. If I get there, I'll call myself happy for this season and next year try and find a combo that runs a little hotter with similar bullets.

Thanks for all the help!