Looking for a simple mobility routine

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is an area where I need improving. I'm hoping for a something simple (very simple), 10 minutes-ish (or less).

If I could get it done with one exercise, that would be great, if not just a few.

I'm looking at Spiderman lunges w/ a rotation as one possibility as it looks like it hits quite a few areas.

Thanks!

Ram94

WKR
Have a look at Knees Over Toes guy (Ben Patrick) on YouTube. His go to is the ATG split squat. Lots of benefit for hip mobility especially.

It's free, give it a shot.

I found it challenging.

MAPS Prime and Prime Pro can help address mobility. They have other plans with mobility built in (primarily Performance). I like their podcast too.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thinking about this a bit more. I guess if I wanted a quick mobility session, I’d do like 10 Turkish getups with a 53lb kettlebell then a few sets of walking lunges. That would work well for me but everybody has different things they want to target with workouts, mobility etc.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
I'll start off by saying that I think the spiderman lunge with rotation is one of the best bang for buck movements there are.

If you want the most simple mobility routine, I think it would depend on where your mobility is limited and just doing a few movements at most to focus on that. I've made the mistake of wanting to improve my mobility, without a specific target area, and then doing a long, many movement routine I found online. Time is wasted on areas you don't need it, and for me it ended with me not keeping up the habit. ymmv

edited to add: if you really do want a full routine to try to start with, I really like Aaron's stuff:

*zap*

WKR
I think that if your doing rotational exercises you want to add the use of kettlebell/kettlebells soon after your body gets used to that exercise.

Here are some exercises from a very credible source:

the other thing to think about would be is 10 minutes a day which would most likely be 50 minutes a week enough? How well would only ten minutes a day work out for strength training? I still think a yoga class a week for a month would be a good way to start..it would be a good evaluation period to see where you need work at the very least. good luck.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Steve maxwell had a great mobility series out several years back. I need to check my hard drives to see if I have it somewhere.

There’s also a hook called “becoming a supple leopard” by Kelly starrett that covers different areas and ways to address specific mobility needs.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I'll second @insanelupus with the Mind Pump performance mobility. They have the first week free on Youtube and mobility is day 2 and 4. Search Mind Pump MAPS Performance.

Honestly once you start doing mobility work 10 minutes isn't enough. I like to do 30-45 minutes 2-3 times a week in the evenings before I go to bed and I always do 10-15 minutes every morning before I work out to make sure I'm properly warmed up.

I am on the opposite side of the discussion of this, I tried doing mobility and stretching but it seemed to make things worse. I havent ever really done it, so I am going with the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” mentality.