Looking for a Good archery Range Finder

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in need of a decent rangefinder with angle compensation for my upcoming Ibex hunt.
My current leica is awesome but doesn't do angles. I don't need 1000yard capability in the new one but 300 or so would be nice jut to help in planning stalks.
What do you recommend and what should I stay away from? Don't want to spend a lot but also don't want crap. I guess I could sell the Leica if I end up with a really good one to replace it.

ofl0926

WKR
I really like my leupold rx-1200i tbr. It's got everything I need to rifle and bow hunting. Crystal clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahlgringo

WKR
Super happy with my kilo 2k on archery hunt, flawless, and really dig the scan mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your only going to use it for archery I don't see an advantage in spending $400 or more on a range finder. Go to local SW, Cabelas, Dicks, etc and ask to see some of the Bushnells, Nikons, even Vortex 1000. If you want angle compensation then it will be a little extra but an accurate range finder with angle compensation for archery (range to 500 yds) shouldn't run more than $150-250 unless you want it too.

Camofire had the Nikon Arrow ID 5000 on the other day for around $150 I think (jet.com $187 right now w/ extra 15% off for new customers and free shipping). Black Ovis has some options around $200. Cabelas has a Sig Kilo 850 for $190. These will do all you need and more for archery. Keep in mind most range finders will only work to half their stated distance on actual animals and trees.

If you are looking for an all around range finder for mid-long range rifle hunting as well then by all means spend the money on the leica, leupold, vortex 1500, swaro, etc. Just for archery though I don't see the advantage.

Tilzbow

WKR
I purchased and returned several this year and ended up with the SIG 2000 which was the best of the bunch for me. Here's a few things I found out about each:

Nikon Rifle Hunter 1000 - purchased a few years ago and still own. A decent rangefinder but it's slower than the rest on the list and has an LCD display so the optics aren't as clear.

Vortex 1500 - Better than the Nikon but its LED display has to be manually adjusted. If it's set on the brightest setting it can be problematic at dusk and dawn as the brightness could make it hard to range and see the animal afterwards.

Leupold RX 1200 - similar to the Vortex but faster with nicer features and more information on the display. Same issue with the LED display.

Leica 1000R - it's got everything I wanted in an angle compensating unit including being waterproof and with auto adjusting LED brightness. However the Leica has a major flaw when ranging with the angle comp feature on. The way it works is the first reading displayed is the LOS range, then a second or two later the angle adjusted range is displayed. This simply isn't acceptable plus the Leica is slower in ranging than the Leupold and SIG.

SIG 2000 - all the features of the Leica plus it's faster, than any of the others, the scan mode is pretty much automatic and the first range given is the angle comp range if that setting is on. The only downside is the unit is water resistant rather than water proof. The unit is the fastest of these five and easily ranges trees and hillsides to 1000+ yards in bright sunlight.

OP
IChaseCoues

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all for your replies. I'll check out some this week when I go to town. Right now I think a smaller lower power ranger is what would serve me the best as I already have a Leica 1200 for lr rifle and the next upgrade for it will be to Swaro el ranges. I just want to have a small archery ranger to operate with one hand and tether to my bino harness to minimize movement when getting close.

Will the sig 850 and the Nikon range dog sized critters consistently at 150 yards? I hope so if they are calling them 850 and 500 yard Rangers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
IChaseCoues

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks I'll definitely check one out tomorrow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see a lot of Sig advocates out there, anyone have any in put on using it in less than ideal conditions?? My nikon is useless if there is anything in the air as far as precipitation!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I see a lot of Sig advocates out there, anyone have any in put on using it in less than ideal conditions?? My nikon is useless if there is anything in the air as far as precipitation!

Woke up to heavy fog this morning and saw your post, so pulled out my Leica CRF 900 and Sig Kilo 2000. They were both consistent in what they ranged, but the deciding factor in ranging was whether I could actually see the object or not. As long as I could see the object (even behind heavy fog, both ranged the objects. But I tried to range a house that I know is there but can't see it through the fog, and neither would range that. But I guess that's OK, because if I can't see it I'm not shooting it anyway.

Thanks you very much, The nikon rep I spoke to at Cabela's assures me this is all range finders but I just cant accept that answer. I appreciate the reply, its nice to get some feed back before spending big money.

tommy1005

FNG
Cabelas has the Vortex Ranger 1000 for $299 right now. Kind of hard to beat at that price. I really like the illuminated reticle.

OP
IChaseCoues

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
Makes me wish there was a cabelas in Albuquerque already. I'd pick one up tomorrow. Maybe sportsman warehouse will price match.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk