Lizard Head Outfitters

Hello, Just joined the Rockslide forums and am eager to learn! I am a DIY type of archery hunter just looking for a little assistance getting back into the bush away from vehicle / foot traffic.

I hate to start my first post looking for information, but..... I am curious if anyone has ever heard of or dealt with Lizard Head Outfitters out of SW Colorado. Looking to possibly book something in '17 but can not seem to find a lot of information amongst other hunters or testimonials. The little bit that I have found has been positive, I guess that's a start. Thanks in advance.

Hayguide

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt SW Colorado- haven't heard of them buts its a big area-what unit? I hunt 75/751 His rates look great for bow hunting-3K for a guided horse
week is unheard of anymore.

gelton

WKR
The one thing that I do know about the area that I hunt (same general area) is that every time I run across an outfitters camp, which is often, I chuckle to myself thinking that someone paid thousands to get to a place that I backpack into.

Not knocking horses, I have used them before when dealing with too much snow, or guides either for that matter - but to pay $3K to go to a place that is flooded with people and traffic, and to be brought to a place that you can backpack into on foot, just rubs me the wrong way...maybe I am too much of a tight ass though.

I would only consider a guide, drop camp, or horses on an extremely hard to get tag or unit, definitely not an over the counter unit.

OP
B
I believe he operates in GMU 71 in the areas around Tin can basin / San Miguel peak/sheep Mt. I know limited information at this point.

My hunting partner and I are looking to book the drop camp with our own gear. So far, his references give promising and positive feedback.

Thanks for the reply so far!

Felix40

WKR
I don't know the outfitter but my group hunts sw co every year. I bet horses can get you really deep in the right area and they could be worth it. Downside I see is that most of the places we have gotten into elk would be impossible to take a horse into. I guess I just say that as a reminder that even if you use a packer you need to be in dang good shape to get from where horses will drop you to where the elk will be.

gelton

WKR
I don't know the outfitter but my group hunts sw co every year. I bet horses can get you really deep in the right area and they could be worth it. Downside I see is that most of the places we have gotten into elk would be impossible to take a horse into. I guess I just say that as a reminder that even if you use a packer you need to be in dang good shape to get from where horses will drop you to where the elk will be.

Good point, the terrain is harsh but the deadfall is harsher. If you (the op) are able I would take a trip out this summer to have a look. Like I mentioned the place is flooded with people and in my particular area a horse wont help much, there are so many roads that unless you plan on going over a 14,000 ft mountain you cant get away from the people. I keep saying I will find a new area to hunt but keep building points and keep going back anyway.

OP
B
Thank you for all the responses.

gelton, Taking a summer trip is out of the question for me as I'm traveling from Pa.

Felix, my hunting partner and I are not afraid of some hard work and putting boots to the ground. I fully am awaret that the horses can only pack so far, and the rest can be done on foot.

My only CO experiences have been in '12 and '15 just north of Mancos. '12 was so so, however '15 was an absolute mess with vehicle traffic and hunting pressure. Our camp was in the area of Echo Basin / Burnt Ridge / Box Canyon where we set-up right at our vehicle and hoofed it in each day. After '15, I swore I'd never hunt again in an area that had roads all over. Also, these hunts were the last 10 days of the season. In '17 we plan on switching gears and hunting Sept. 1 - Sept. 10th.

Once again, I appreciate the responses and will take any information I can get regarding the area around the lizard head.

Hayguide

Lil-Rokslider
2016 Colorad Bull.jpgThese are all good responses. Something to remember and think about is this. If you pack in 2 mils-to get to the areas you will need to leave your tent at 4am in darkness and get back at 830 PM in darkness.
Yes- I have seen guys around my area on a drop- but this past yaer it was 9am and then another day at 2pm-I watched this small group decent. I had a Park spot set up an was in a make shift blind. Earlier that morning I had watched a nice bull and a smaller but legal pull head into a large north dark timber hillside. So I thought to my self- these guys wont stay and hunt this-sure enough they started there way back-2pm..day 2 of the 1st rifle in SW Colorado. I shot this nice 6-5 in the last shooting minutes that day. So being in a spot 20 minutes from my drop camp paid off. Unless your these few people who can do the 4AM-8pm hunt that it would take to succeed-you don't need a drop. If your not sure about it, and its your 1st try....consider a drop camp. Less money, freedom to hunt the way you want and more gratiication on a kill.

W.D. Crawford

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for all the responses.

gelton, Taking a summer trip is out of the question for me as I'm traveling from Pa.

Felix, my hunting partner and I are not afraid of some hard work and putting boots to the ground. I fully am awaret that the horses can only pack so far, and the rest can be done on foot.

My only CO experiences have been in '12 and '15 just north of Mancos. '12 was so so, however '15 was an absolute mess with vehicle traffic and hunting pressure. Our camp was in the area of Echo Basin / Burnt Ridge / Box Canyon where we set-up right at our vehicle and hoofed it in each day. After '15, I swore I'd never hunt again in an area that had roads all over. Also, these hunts were the last 10 days of the season. In '17 we plan on switching gears and hunting Sept. 1 - Sept. 10th.

Once again, I appreciate the responses and will take any information I can get regarding the area around the lizard head.
Pretty much sums up southwest Co./San Juan Natl. Forest except wilderness areas. Believe me I know. It seems to get more crowded every year. I would do some SERIOUS research on any outfitter in SW CO.

Hayguide

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a bow hunter- but I cant bow hunt for elk because I run a bear hunting service-It eats up my Sept and 1st week of Oct. I see some elk hunters- but not bunches like people are talking about here in the bow season. When I get a mile from a trailhead- if I see one hunter a day that would be a lot! Does SW Colorado attract more bow hunters than Rifle or maybe I'm in an area that isn't pounded as much. I'
m not naming my spot.

Graindrain

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted with GELTON this year in the area, and I told him If I could hunt orange vests, squirrels, and horses I would have been a very happy hunter.

We were easily 5 miles in to our camp, and were still seeing people at 7 miles. One day we hiked a pretty easy trail and some mountain bikers and just a runner ran through our area and we were 4 miles at that point. Asked her where she was going and she said the trail was like 13 miles to the highway. The area is covered up with "public" and mean f*cking squirrels that like to throw stuff at you.

BTW Gelton is a stand up dude and knows his stuff. His advice is spot on.

I hunted with GELTON this year in the area, and I told him If I could hunt orange vests, squirrels, and horses I would have been a very happy hunter.

We were easily 5 miles in to our camp, and were still seeing people at 7 miles. One day we hiked a pretty easy trail and some mountain bikers and just a runner ran through our area and we were 4 miles at that point. Asked her where she was going and she said the trail was like 13 miles to the highway. The area is covered up with "public" and mean f*cking squirrels that like to throw stuff at you.

BTW Gelton is a stand up dude and knows his stuff. His advice is spot on.

You guys sure make my spot look good :) The only person I saw was my hunting partner. I did see 2 other vehicles at the parking area. But never saw any hunters, bikers, hikers, horses, camps...

Hayguide

Lil-Rokslider
I think my spot is good also, but I did see a guy dressed in Orange going to a top.. his route was smack thru a park at 10000 ft that I was hunting. Believe it or not- I saw elk in that park at dawn. I watched him walk by me- I waived but didn't want to make noise with a conversation. he proceeded up the hill in the park I was watching. About that time two hunters came out of the dark timber talked a few minutes-saw me and turned around. They were about 500 yards away, two hours later I had a fat cow standing 100 yards broadside- had a EE tag. I decided not to shoot her and 5 minutes later a nice bull appeared in the same area all those hunters came out of- I killed him. So I did see a few hunters on my drop camp- but not a pumkin patch like some guys have. I think it depends on the terrain- This isn't a real easy spot to get into- that 1.5 mile is straight up almost and all dark timber.

Hayguide

Lil-Rokslider
I was on a drop camp in 2012 with my wife- 10 miles in. The day before the season stated I watched two guys set a camp 2 hundred yards from me. They had 4 lamas!! they stunk up the whole area. Drop camp operator talked to them, but they were within there rights. I still killed a bull- 2 miles away in a rock slide area in heavy cover. Everyone has the same idea-get away from the crowds... but in Colorado that can be tough. I will still hunt my SW Colorado spot, I know most of those guys are not in the right place when elk are moving because a lot of them are afraid of the dark!