Thoughts on Deadwood Outfitters, Cascade ID

Sealevel1

FNG
Hello all,

I hope I don't take up too much of your time, but I would appreciate any thoughts on a particular outfitter in Idaho, "Deadwood Outfitters"

A little background, I am from the Northeast, primarily hunting deer and waterfowl. In 2023, I was planning on making my first trip to experience the West, to hunt with a good friend from the Mountain Home area. Unfortunately, he will no longer be able to join me. So rather than just eat the tag cost, I began to research guides in the Sawtooth / Unit 33 area, and found two. Korrell Outfitters was booked for 2023, but Deadwood Outfitters has some vacancies. I have both a Unit 33 regular deer tag and a Sawtooth B tag.

I have done a lot of research on the area, and I know there are issues with wolves and "trophy quality". I just want to put it out there that I 100% understand there is no guarantee of success, and I am truly only hoping to see some representative examples of mule deer and elk, and get the western hunting experience I have only seen from videos. I know this is not the area to plan to take a monster bull or wall hanger muley.

When researching this outfitter, I have not found much for current information or reviews. They have a website and facebook, but most of the photos seem to be reused from years past, or of trail ride and fishing trips.

Does anyone think this outfitter is worth the cost for the experience and a genuine hunt, or is this a place that takes unsuspecting non-residents out on trail rides knowing full well that they wont see anything? I have read a lot of terrible outfitter experience posts on RockSlide regarding bad guides all over the place and it has me worried.

Thank you all in advance, again just looking to experience the west, and figured this would be the place to ask.

OP
Sealevel1

Sealevel1

FNG
Thank you very much, WeiserBucks. My wife doesn't hunt but she made a similar suggestion. I will ask them today.

1st red flag- Hiring an Outfitter for a general tag unit in Idaho or Montana
2- They have openings
3- You have to hunt to dig up information about them
4- You can only find 2 potential Outfitters for a fairly large Unit. This ties back to #1
5- Your concern of tag cost is a fraction of what the cost of a bad decision on an Outfitter will cost you

Be careful and good luck

Hello all,

I hope I don't take up too much of your time, but I would appreciate any thoughts on a particular outfitter in Idaho, "Deadwood Outfitters"

A little background, I am from the Northeast, primarily hunting deer and waterfowl. In 2023, I was planning on making my first trip to experience the West, to hunt with a good friend from the Mountain Home area. Unfortunately, he will no longer be able to join me. So rather than just eat the tag cost, I began to research guides in the Sawtooth / Unit 33 area, and found two. Korrell Outfitters was booked for 2023, but Deadwood Outfitters has some vacancies. I have both a Unit 33 regular deer tag and a Sawtooth B tag.

I have done a lot of research on the area, and I know there are issues with wolves and "trophy quality". I just want to put it out there that I 100% understand there is no guarantee of success, and I am truly only hoping to see some representative examples of mule deer and elk, and get the western hunting experience I have only seen from videos. I know this is not the area to plan to take a monster bull or wall hanger muley.

When researching this outfitter, I have not found much for current information or reviews. They have a website and facebook, but most of the photos seem to be reused from years past, or of trail ride and fishing trips.

Does anyone think this outfitter is worth the cost for the experience and a genuine hunt, or is this a place that takes unsuspecting non-residents out on trail rides knowing full well that they wont see anything? I have read a lot of terrible outfitter experience posts on RockSlide regarding bad guides all over the place and it has me worried.

Thank you all in advance, again just looking to experience the west, and figured this would be the place to ask.
I have no information regarding this outfitter but in doing a lot of e scouting the area I did find an area I believe they are hunting pretty regularly.

OP
Sealevel1

Sealevel1

FNG
Thank you as well InkedElkSlayer,

I have taken all your words seriously. I have saved and prepared to do a western hunt, but certainly recognize eating the cost of tags is nothing compared to sinking a large sum of money into a hunt.

I have no problem accepting my losses and eating the tags. I just figured I would try to exhaust all options before "quitting"

As someone with no experience in western hunting, I also recognize that I would not be prepared to do a DIY hunt. Last thing I would want to do is risk injury, ruin some other persons hunt, or otherwise become a nonresident stereotype.

Good points on the availability to slots and limited guides operating in such a large area. These are all things that are very foreign to me. I live in a land of statewide tags, limited wildlife management, and almost no commercial guiding or outfitting (exception being sea ducks).

TheTone

WKR
1st red flag- Hiring an Outfitter for a general tag unit in Idaho or Montana
2- They have openings
3- You have to hunt to dig up information about them
4- You can only find 2 potential Outfitters for a fairly large Unit. This ties back to #1
5- Your concern of tag cost is a fraction of what the cost of a bad decision on an Outfitter will cost you

Be careful and good luck
1/2.I can think of a bunch of good outfitters in Idaho that still have openings
3. The website I found is kinda lacking so maybe a sign?
4. Outfitters in Idaho are restricted to specific operating areas that don’t overlap other outfitters, so there won’t be many for any area
5. Not going to disagree with that

End of the day I think you can have a good hunt on your own if you choose to. I know a lot of people that choose to hunt that elk area and love it. The trophy quality issues some talk of are silly IME from talking to people I highly trust that hunt it

I am going to throw you a curveball.
I have been told to stay away from outfitters with good websites and facebook pages.
There good online, but not in the woods. take that for what you want, just another perspective.

Deadfall

WKR
A few things to consider about perspectives mentioned above.

Public land is just that, public so will probably see other hunters. Usually, outfitters know the area and wildlife far better than DIY hunters. Not always, but usually.

Most outfitters these days will have open spots. Due to licensing issues. For example, if an outfitter books 12 guys and only 8 draw a license. Then he now has 4 openings to fill. Using the open spot matrix these days is not as effective as it once was for determining if an outfitter is worth his salt.

Tough finding information on an outfitter can be a tell tell sign or it could be the outfit sold and new owner is not fully up to speed. Or the outfitter is new. Or maybe the outfitter is good enough that he still uses old school methods for booking hunts. IE..sports shows. Perhaps he is successful enough that his clients are repeats. Perhaps word of mouth keeps his business full. Perhaps he is a scab trying to fly under the radar. Point is, this matrix can also be misleading. Especially when you consider that public land outfitters have to pay day use fees and are only allocated so many days they can purchase.

Public land outfitters that are legit will be licensed. the governmet only allows a certain number of permits in any given area. This can be a telling matrix for the quality of outfitter you are researching. Call the local FWP office and ask about this outfitter. Local biologists and wardens are a good source for information on the quality of business a certain outfitter is running.

Having a bad experience is a huge and rightfully placed fear. Any outfitter you contact that is worth thier salt will be only too eager to do things like walking you through the licensing/application process. There should be a detailed gear list. Responses should be relied to in a week or 10 days time frame. Outfitters worth thier oats are busy year round. If every time you call they pick up on first or second ring... That would send up more of a red flag to me. If they never respond, that would also send a red flag.

Things to look for in a quality outiftter:

1. How long have they been in business/operating in that area?
2. How long have guides been working there
Keep in mind average career life for guides is 7 years. Most burn out in 4 or 5. Usually a worthwhile outift will have 1 to 3 guides who have been working for them a decade or more.
3. Number of repeat clients. This is single most telling sign of the kind of outfit you are looking at.
4. Go see the place. What kind of shape are the facilities in? More importantly especially if using stock....What kind of shape is the stock in? Are the mules long maned? Are the horses sway backed? Are their feet well maintained and shod? Is the tac room organized? What kind of shape are vehicles in?
Take a vacation with the family and go see the place.

Lastly what are your expectations? Understand the kind of hunt you are going on and the price point associated with that service. Going on a fancy private land guided hunt is not even in the same realm as a public land hunt.

Private land you are going to be paying at-least double what a public land hunt will cost. If your sole mission is to kill an animal then private land is the way to go. If you want a great experience and a better then state average chance of killing an animal and do not feel comfortable or have the means for a DIY hunt, then a public land outfitter is the way to go.

All this rambling is from a crusty old bastard that's been guiding for awhile.

For all the guys on here that shed hate towards outiftters, there is no-one on here who dislikes scabs more than me. I am also a huge proponent for outfitters that run a proper business. In my opinion it is by far the hardest business to own and run.

AH64guy

FNG
Sealevel1,

I’ve hunted with Deadwood Outfitters for the past eight years in archery. I’m on their reference list, BUT - the outfit changed hands last year from Tom and Dawn to the new owners.

Hit me up on the side bar, and I’ll share my thoughts.

Edit - you'll need ten posts to contact me through the message system, so hit your post count, and let's talk about Deadwood Outfitters, Units 33-35, and what to expect.

I've brought multiple other hunters out there, some have had success, some have not - all have had opportunities.

Deadfall's post above is in line with my thoughts and values - I think it's pretty well written.

Last edited:

Roguer53

FNG
I have been told to stay away from outfitters with good websites and facebook pages.
There good online, but not in the woods. take that for what you want, just another perspective.
Valid thoughts

Deadfall

WKR
That goes both ways. Any business that is trying to grow uses advertising. There are several forms of advertising. If someone takes the time to build and pay for a well designed website, well that would get my attention for sure.

The website is just a starting point. Still want to meet them have a conversation or 2. Talk to other clients. Current and pst employees. Other entities that work with them. Ie...fish and game, forest service.

Whether or not you choose a particular outfitter should not boil down to one thing. Gather as much information as possible then weigh pros and cons.

Contempt prior to investigation is a good way to miss out

Idaboy

WKR
I do not know the outfitter, but I have not heard anything bad about them. None of the outfitters in Idaho have much for websites imo.

agree with others about get multiple references and talk

An outfitter can be a very reasonable option given your out of state circumstances

1 What are your expectations of the outfitter?2 Are you wanting to get a deer, get an elk, or just have a "fun hunt"
3 have you done much western hunting?
4 how much time have you spent in Idaho?
5 if you were not using an outfitter, is someone else (non hunter) but can help/has skills?
6. Is tge elk tag for 33 or can you hunt anywhere in the sawtooth zone? As other outfitters run in the church.

If you have not done a ton of western hunts, haven't been in Idaho much (it's steep) and would otherwise be coming solo, would definitely go with an outfitter...I would not rec going solo elk in Oct Idaho if your answer is no to many of the above, which is probably why you are researching....but if you've western hunted and can get a buddy or 2, to come with, you could have a great time.

Roguer53

FNG
Sealevel1,

I’ve hunted with Deadwood Outfitters for the past eight years in archery. I’m on their reference list, BUT - the outfit changed hands last year from Tom and Dawn to the new owners.

Hit me up on the side bar, and I’ll share my thoughts.

Edit - you'll need ten posts to contact me through the message system, so hit your post count, and let's talk about Deadwood Outfitters, Units 33-35, and what to expect.

I've brought multiple other hunters out there, some have had success, some have not - all have had opportunities.

Deadfall's post above is in line with my thoughts and values - I think it's pretty well written.

Roguer53

FNG
I'd enjoy hearing you thoughts as well. We'd like to get in a few good elk hunts.
S. Wray