Wyoming Super Tag

bayou0509

FNG
Hello all, I am relatively new to posting here. I have been lurking in the background for a few years. I happen to be the lucky winner of the deer super tag for Wyoming this year. Not realistic for me to try DIY this year so I am in the process of selecting an outfitter. I would like opinions, references, past experiences etc from anyone willing to provide some assistance. I am open to archery or rifle but leaning toward rifle just to increase my odds. Not really into farm deer, definitely free range only. I have spoken to a few outfitters in the Alpine area as well as the biologist for region G. Preliminary research continues to point me towards G or H but I am open to anything you all have to bring forward. Not looking for specific unit numbers or any secrets, mainly just reputable outfitters for a trophy during early season. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Congrats! No help for outffiter but I saw Louisiana on the draw results email and thought somebody is gonna have great experience! Enjoy! Make sure you post up a hunt report!

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations, what a great opportunity. I wouldn’t overlook the handful of late hunts available either with the choice you have. Remember G and H are OTC for residents. There are some low tag limited quota hunts out there, and a few that go into November

OP
B

bayou0509

FNG
One shot, thats the general consensus I am getting from multiple folks. Definitely leaning in that direction now. Thanks for the advice.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
congrats

if you went to G, Rob Wiley non-typical outfitters if he can get you in, but can't imagine going on a general season hunt with a supertag, unless you're going to hunt all the good areas you can througout the fall, then i get it.

OP
B

bayou0509

FNG
Thanks for the advice Robby. I have pretty much landed on a late season hunt in unit 128. Hopefully get in on some of the rut/migration action

OP
B

bayou0509

FNG
I wish I could but I got some pretty rigorous schedule obligations at work unfortunately. Kind of a perfect storm of timing but I'm going to make the best out of it

I wish I could but I got some pretty rigorous schedule obligations at work unfortunately. Kind of a perfect storm of timing but I'm going to make the best out of it
Best of luck on your once in a lifetime hunt. If at all possible I’d try to get out for multiple hunts. Maybe a week in G, then finish up on a late season 128. If I drew that tag I’d be thinking hard about doing whatever possible to spend as much time as possible on the hunt. Might feel bittersweet to show up and smoke a nice buck on the first day in 128. But I totally understand the time limitation issues.

OP
B

bayou0509

FNG
Yep, likely the worst year for timing that I could put together. Never hunted in WY before but I have been building points and planning a near future Archery elk hunt. At minimum, I will try to do a late summer/early season trip to do some hiking and trial run some of my gear.

wytx

WKR
Congrats !!

All the deer hunting in Wyoming is free range except the NX Bar ranch. No need to worry about that.
Late migration would be the ticket and really no need for an outfitter on those hunts but I understand.

I'm betting you start getting some outfitter letters pretty soon.

Rich M

WKR
Sounds like a fun problem to have. You have time to adjust your schedule and decide what you want.

Get a good outfitter and let him know what you are looking for. Then tell him to call you when it is time to come up and hunt. There are a lot of weather variables and you want to use those to your advantage as opposed to being stymied by them.

Good Luck!

ruttedup

FNG
If you decide on the a late season hunt in 130 or 128 hit me up. I had this tag last year and got to know both units very well. I will help ya out. If you want to go guided in 128 I can help ya out there as well. I met a really good dude up there who guides and wouldn't hesitate to send someone his way. They killed a cpl studs and had tabs on a lot of big deer in the area.

OP
B

bayou0509

FNG
Thanks all for the input and advice so far. I have been in touch with a handful of outfitters and am waiting a call back from the biologist for 128