Livingston Montana Emergency

Hopefully he did not hurt himself or anyone else, and as long as he is not a habitual offender, any charges can be reduced through a plea bargain to misdemeanors that will not impact his future employment prospects. The only difference in your son and most other people his age, is he got caught. I got a DUI back in the day, and deserved it, but I can't tell you how many people I know who drove drunk 100X more than me (and still do), and have never had anyone pull out in front of them, or happen upon a road block, etc. Main thing is he learns from it and grows.....maybe this saved him from some other mistake in the future that would have had worse consequences. We all have different paths, and are a result of choices we have made in the past, both good and bad. Good luck to him and to you in trying to help

To my understanding, any DUI in Canada is considered a felony. Doesn't matter what they call it in the states.
I have seen you on the slide saying this several times and is not true. Please stop. You are ignorant on the topic

First of all, "felony" is American vernacular. Canadians have 3 types of "offences": summary convictions, indictable offences, an hybrid offences.

Many factors go into admissibility into Canada with a DUI on your record. How long ago the DUI was, how many you have, what other convictions you may have in addition to the DUI, how long ago they were. Within each of these there will be details on the arrest records, circumstances.....what happened, were there injuries, destruction of property? These are just a couple of variables out of many.

Even if someone does have multiple DUI convictions, they can apply for "Criminal Rehabilitation" into Canada, which is permanent, like a pardon. Waiting time for processing is 12 - 18 months.

There is also a Temporary Resident Permit "TRP" which is for a specific set of dates, and only good for those dates. Waiting time for processing is 6 months.

For either of these, you have to obtain court records, proof of completion of probation, fines paid, etc. FBI background checks, background checks of every state you have lived in. A statement of rehabilitation, character references, etc., etc., etc. It is quite a robust application process.

People who show up at the border unprepared, uninformed, and who did not files one of the two above, may have problems depending on how long ago it was, and may be denied entry, but it isn't because they simply were barred from entering. They just didn't take the proper steps. Getting an attitude with the POE officer is also a good way to be denied.

It is not a matter of "you can" or "you can't" get into Canada with a DUI. It's a matter of doing your own due diligence for your specific record, and finding out what is needed to be granted entry and what your options are.

If anyone wishes to get into Canada and has a DUI or other convictions on their record, feel free to PM me and I can give you the contact info of someone who was very helpful to me. I have nothing to gain from it, just trying to help others.

Figured I would give everyone an update. Instead of posting the 5k bail and then a 50k lean on our house with the bail bondsman( don't trust anyone with that type of funds) we are going to leave him there until monday spend the 5k bail money plus whatever else it cost on a good lawyer and pray they can work out a plea deal. I appreciate everyone's kind words and not so kind words as well as all the positive talk and prayers anyone has said. If you are ever in Georgia and need help reach out to me. Good luck this fall!

Figured I would give everyone an update. Instead of posting the 5k bail and then a 50k lean on our house with the bail bondsman( don't trust anyone with that type of funds) we are going to leave him there until monday spend the 5k bail money plus whatever else it cost on a good lawyer and pray they can work out a plea deal. I appreciate everyone's kind words and not so kind words as well as all the positive talk and prayers anyone has said. If you are ever in Georgia and need help reach out to me. Good luck this fall!
Honestly, I think that strategy is a great investment in his future, A golfing buddy and one of the smartest guys I know recently did the same thing with his kid. The lessons our children learn on their own are the most valuable.

Honestly, I think that strategy is a great investment in his future, A golfing buddy and one of the smartest guys I know recently did the same thing with his kid. The lessons our children learn on their own are the most valuable.
They call it, the school of hard knocks.

I know quite a few people that had DUIs here that were let into/out of Canada. Unless you have business up there, I wouldn't care about Canada.

Why is anyone worried about going to canada in this situation...how about his career as a lineman without a cdl.. and if he is 22, im gonna guess he has not journeyed out yet, and if that is the case, hes really going to struggle to finish an apprenticeship anywhere in this country if he cant get his cdl reinstated. . but based on the bail/hold money, there has to be much more to this than dui. and thats none of our business. but time for him to grow up and take the treatment life gives you for your actions.

Best wishes!

I've heard Livingston be referred to as the "open air asylum" before. Something about the wind makes people act strange.

Back