Livingston Montana Emergency

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
If you live in Livingston or surrounding area can you pm me I have some emergency questions. My son got arrested last night for doing dumb 22 year old stuff ( I am in georgia) and have some just general questions about judges, lawyers, etc. In the area.
sadly, I don’t live in the area but my old paralegal (criminal law) now works in Bozeman. I’d be happy to reach out to her for you. As I understand it, there aren’t many criminal lawyers in Livingston (I’ve been kicking the tires on moving out there) but I bet a lot of Bozeman lawyers take cases there. Please send me a message if I can be of assistance.

OP
Carr5vols

Carr5vols

WKR
sadly, I don’t live in the area but my old paralegal (criminal law) now works in Bozeman. I’d be happy to reach out to her for you. As I understand it, there aren’t many criminal lawyers in Livingston (I’ve been kicking the tires on moving out there) but I bet a lot of Bozeman lawyers take cases there. Please send me a message if I can be of assistance.
Thank you I got some leads on some attorneys.

ODB

WKR
OMG...another JB fan on here? I'm so happy to read that and I thought the same thing when I saw the thread. :D

Eddie

Oh hell yeah.

I’d be willing to bet this kid’s head hurt, feet stink, and he don’t love Jesus any more…;-)

Reactions: lif

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you I got some leads on some attorneys.
Prayers to you, brother. Without knowing all the facts, it’s probably isn’t nearly as bad as it sounds and isn’t the end of the world. As I usually tell folks, this isn’t a dead end, it’s a speed bump and let’s make it a learning experience. That said, my non-legal advice is to make him pay you back for his attorney and make him pay all fines and fees himself if he ends up convicted. Make it a mistake he won’t make twice.

OP
Carr5vols

Carr5vols

WKR
Prayers to you, brother. Without knowing all the facts, it’s probably isn’t nearly as bad as it sounds and isn’t the end of the world. As I usually tell folks, this isn’t a dead end, it’s a speed bump and let’s make it a learning experience. That said, my non-legal advice is to make him pay you back for his attorney and make him pay all fines and fees himself if he ends up convicted. Make it a mistake he won’t make twice.
He has plenty of money to pay the fines and attorney fees...just got to get to that point.

eamyrick

WKR
My 2 cents after 15 years in LE. I get all of the hard lesson advice but I have found that 95% of the time there are two sides to the story and generally folks are good people (except a few years I worked child exploitation).

If he is willing to own up and have a conversation and make some big changes anything you can do to help lesson the legal stain will make a big difference long term. I’ve seen kids get basic drug charges at 18 and it ruin a lot of potential because it just sits on their record. The system is broken. I have good friends that purposefully stepped into some nasty felonies who are now doing great with “clean” records because they had family support. I’m not advocate for enabling continued bad behavior but this sounds like one crazy night.

wyosteve

WKR
If it is DUI related, just something to be aware of if you don't already know. A DUI conviction will make it hard, if not impossible to pretty much ever get into Canada if he would want to fish or hunt.

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
My 2 cents after 15 years in LE. I get all of the hard lesson advice but I have found that 95% of the time there are two sides to the story and generally folks are good people (except a few years I worked child exploitation).

If he is willing to own up and have a conversation and make some big changes anything you can do to help lesson the legal stain will make a big difference long term. I’ve seen kids get basic drug charges at 18 and it ruin a lot of potential because it just sits on their record. The system is broken. I have good friends that purposefully stepped into some nasty felonies who are now doing great with “clean” records because they had family support. I’m not advocate for enabling continued bad behavior but this sounds like one crazy night.
A voice of sanity...

NB7

WKR

20 years in LE here myself and I agree with @eamyrick. Well said.

Antares

WKR
If it is DUI related, just something to be aware of if you don't already know. A DUI conviction will make it hard, if not impossible to pretty much ever get into Canada if he would want to fish or hunt.

In my experience, this concern is overblown. Especially if the DUI charge is over 10 years old.

SDHNTR

WKR
In my experience, this concern is overblown. Especially if the DUI charge is over 10 years old.
In my experience, it’s not if there is a felony involved. Not me but a buddy made a mistake 25+ years ago and he got turned away at the border.

Will_m

WKR
Nothing good will come from him “handling it” himself. As stated, the system is broken and if he doesn’t get it taken care (best case thrown out) it will follow him for the rest of days and be an total impediment at worst and an inconvenience at best in pursuit of his career and personal life.

Antares

WKR
In my experience, it’s not if there is a felony involved. Not me but a buddy made a mistake 25+ years ago and he got turned away at the border.

Yes, but that’s true for all felonies, regardless of whether it’s a DUI or not.

I wasn’t specific enough. A Misdemeanor DUI is not necessarily a dealbreaker for traveling to Canada. Especially if it’s old.

wyosteve

WKR
To my understanding, any DUI in Canada is considered a felony. Doesn't matter what they call it in the states.