Lightweight Suppressor Comparison and Poll

For Backcountry hunting, which suppressor

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Quite a few threads on Suppressors, which got me re-assessing my Omega 300 for backcountry hunting.

Disclaimer: I'm actually pretty happy with the Omega 300 performance (although I'll admit I've not shot some of the other suppressors being discussed on RS). On the range, I wear muffs or custom molded ear plugs. When hunting, I choose no ear pro (confirmed by getting "jumped" by a black bear in CO one year). Thus far, I haven't taken a suppressor into the backcountry.

My primary goal is a significant reduction in weight over the Omega 300 while remaining hearing safe for a couple of shots.

I've collated some info into spreadsheet to help with decision making. There were some surprises for me:

1. Banish Backcountry has more potential volume than my Omega 300
2. Only the Jäger, Raptor 4, and Ultra 5 have less potential volume than my Omega 300
3. AB Raptor 6 looks pretty good and would likely be better performance than my Omega 300

Take a look at the info below, then place your vote (2 choices), then give your rationale. I know "potential volume" isn't really a solid indicator of suppressor performance, but it's a starting point for some comparisons. If you know of less expensive options for any of the below cans, let me know.

Edit: Primarily shooting 22CM, 6CM, 6.5CM. Also did not add in volume of the Raptor reflexes (as I don't really know their full impact).

View attachment 511700
I have the exact same can and have also found myself wondering if the grass was greener.

It may have already been mentioned, or maybe you already have and I haven’t seen it, but I’ll suggest looking into Pew Science.

As far as I know, they’re the only org putting out objective, evidence-based, quantifiable comparisons between cans. Might help narrow down your choice if you’re looking for the lightest, quietest can around.

I’ll be curious to hear what you decide!

Sled

WKR
It's your money to do what you want with. I convinced myself I needed a light 5" suppressor several years ago. It now sits in the safe as I have no use for a suppressor that doesn't suppress. Sure it alters the recoil impulse, tone and limit some concussive effects but it may actually make the shot to ear louder. With today's technology I won't carry anything shorter than 6" and would prefer to be closer to 7" based on my experience (insert "that's what she said" comments here).

If you can, shoot or be near some of the suppressors on your list when they are shot. I think you'll see the benefit of having another suppressor besides the omega and less reason to carry stubby k baffle cans. 3oz and 3/4" reduction would make the EVO look good to me, especially if I were reading the light Kimber thread.

OP
BjornF16

BjornF16

WKR
I'm thinking there are two cans in my future at this point...one will be the Raptor 6.

The other...I'm not sure yet. But it will likely be either the Hyperion K, Nomad Ti, Nomad LTi, or a Raptor 8.

I've looked at PewScience.com; they don't have any tests published for some of these cans (and I'm not a member). So I'll have to wait for some of the bubba comparisons

mms2

FNG
I own an ultra 5,7 and 9. As well as about 8 other cans from yhm, griffin, and dead air.

For hunting I can 100% say the ultra 5 is the best and the one that goes every time. yes the others are quieter but it is so compact and light and does exactly what its designed to do. Makes even a large 30 cal magnum comfortable to shoot with out ears on. I use it on a 30 nosler.

the other consideration is mounts you want a taper on a rifle you are carrying I have had direct threads come loose to many times. I dont think you need a mount with some kind of secondary retention on a hunting rifle tough save that for semi auto+ .

mt100gr.

WKR
I'm thinking there are two cans in my future at this point...one will be the Raptor 6.

The other...I'm not sure yet. But it will likely be either the Hyperion K, Nomad Ti, Nomad LTi, or a Raptor 8.

I've looked at PewScience.com; they don't have any tests published for some of these cans (and I'm not a member). So I'll have to wait for some of the bubba comparisons
I was dead set on the Hyperion K for the next one, but now I'm leaning towards the Raptor. Won't be both for this guy, yet.

More info and experience showing up everyday helps a ton!

Ehiggins

WKR
I don’t have a can currently but have been shopping, is there a reason the nomad ti doesn’t get more attention around here? Seems like it checks a lot of the boxes- light weight, good suppression, known manufacture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mms2

FNG
I don’t have a can currently but have been shopping, is there a reason the nomad ti doesn’t get more attention around here? Seems like it checks a lot of the boxes- light weight, good suppression, known manufacture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know I'm in the minority on this but I don't like the multi mount systems, its just another threaded interface to come apart at the wrong time.

Dead air became super popular super fast, but I also saw more qc issues reported from them as they moved their manufacturing around to different sub contractors... heck Bergara was one of their subs.

they always took care of people from what I saw ( I do own a dead air can sandman TI ). But ultimately I moved towards tbac for my last 3 purchases.

Maybe I'll remove that from my potential can list...
Every manufacturer has issues , I had a Q full Nelson do the same thing 3’ from my left ear . The main thing is picking a company that’ll be around awhile and warranty any issues . All that being said I still wouldn’t buy a dead air 😂

Tahoe1305

WKR
I don’t recall seeing it mentioned in this thread. But last night while googling around on stuff in here I stubbled across the DD Enticer STi. Pewscience has it rated higher than everything mentioned (No AB rating). It’s 6.75”x1.625 with std hub threading. 9 oz if I recall.

May be worth a peek.

Last edited:

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t recall seeing it mentioned in this thread. But last night while googling around on stuff in here I stubbled across the DD Enticer STi. Pewscience has it rated higher than everything mentioned (No AB rating). It’s 6.75”x1.625 with std hub threading. 9 oz if I recall.

May be worth a peak.
I've been looking for a shorter, lightweight suppressor lately. And that suppressor caught my eye as well. Not a whole lot of reviews though.

I ordered a Banish Backcountry. Overall length is more important to me than total sound suppression.

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 Banish Backcountries on order. Has anyone actually got their hands on one yet?