Lightweight cots and chairs

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
The group of guys I hunt with recently decided to give the lightweight spike camp thing a go this upcoming season. We have a line on some llamas we’re intending on using and are going to do a weeklong hiking camp this summer to help iron out the details on the spike camp and running animals since none of us have much experience.

We normally hunt using a hunting cabin we built as base camp then head out from there. None of us has much experience with the lightweight thing so any help is appreciated. We’re planning on running a total of 4 llamas and I recently purchased two Seek 8 man tipi’s.

While we’re in decent shape, I’m a vet and have issues with sleep. I have spent too much time sleeping with my head in the dirt and would like to have a lightweight cot and chair if possible. I’m 6’4, 240lbs but am working on getting that down to around 220 before the beginning of the season. Anyone have any lightweight setup they can recommend? Thanks!

Tyler

*zap*

WKR
I prefer a good 30" pad to a narrower cot but a chair similar to the helinox i have is a vgt.

OP
Tremain4414

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
The helinox is quite a bit more expensive than the therma rest stuff…quality I’m guessing but anyone have real world experience with both?

I started with a thermarest cot and it’s a pain to set up, lots of parts. At 175lbs I was touching the dirt. I switched to a Helinox and haven’t looked back. I do like to put a closed cell foam pad on it during the hunting seasons. I also use it to dry clothing as needed.

We normally hunt using a hunting cabin we built as base camp then head out from there. None of us has much experience with the lightweight thing so any help is appreciated. We’re planning on running a total of 4 llamas and I recently purchased two Seek 8 man tipi’s.
Careful running those llamas, they work better at a crisp walking pace.

You may try a good 4" thick sleeping pad rather than a cot.

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer a good 30" pad to a narrower cot but a chair similar to the helinox i have is a vgt.
Agree - the cot thing is one answer but usually better remedied with a really good, thick, long/wide (or X-wide) pad. And you'll likely be more comfortable, lower net weight & lower net volume.
Depending on your expected temps, something like the Big Agnes Q-Core Deluxe - 30" x 78".

*zap*

WKR
I like the thermarest basecamp 30" wide but it is not light. I have the 30 & the 25. Really a big difference.

OP
Tremain4414

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
I have the Klymit V static insulated, anyone have any experience?

WoodBow

WKR
IMO, the cots really only have an application on rough or rocky ground. I tried one and it did not increase comfort at all for me. It was just one more thing to setup and tear down. A pad you like is a better investment of time and weight.

OP
Tremain4414

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
I also picked up the Helinox Cot One and Chair One. Only slept on the cot one night so far and used the chair a handful of times but it seems like they’re going to work great for me

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Klymit V static insulated, anyone have any experience?
That’s the sleeping pad I use at work, I have spent many nights on it.

It’s pretty comfortable when you consider the packability. Also more durable than I had thought it would be at first. Most of the time I was sleeping on it I was just throwing it down on the ground and laying down on it without doing much to prep the ground.

Brooks051

Lil-Rokslider
Helinox Cot is legit. Set up and break down take no time. My brother in law let me use his on a 8 day NM elk hunt. I'm 6'2 225 and I didn't have a single issue. I bought a cheap lightweight cot on amazon and I love it. Quality is not as great as the helinox, but function and weight is the same., plus you can always return is after your trip if you don't like it.