Lightweight Block and Tackle

Another micro block. Without the becket / tie-loop.
So total weight is around 6oz for hardware and about $80 for that hardware setup...?
In comparison to the Pack-A-Pull block and tackle which is 4oz including the storage bag and a throw bag for getting it hung in the tree. Plus Pack-A-Pull will work as 2 hoists in 1. Meaning one set of hardware to hang quarters independently with only 1 cord over the tree limb (less cord needed). With 95ft of cord the entire setup is about 10oz. Typically I’ll hang 2 hind quarters while I pack the rest out. The hind quarters can be hung at staggered height for better cooling, instead of it all clumped together. Or can be used in 4:1 for hanging a deer or such for skinning. Hung my bear this last spring for skinning using one. Worked super slick. Anyhow, like many things, lots of different ways of doing it.

Brendan

WKR
Not apples to apples - all depends on what you're looking for. The Harken stuff is going to be higher quality, stainless, less friction. And, mine's two triple pulleys so you're getting more lifting power (if you want). You could lighten them up correspondingly by going with doubles, or a double and a single.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I gotta say seems like some of this is making it overly complicated. I pointed about the aluminum carabiners as a low cost multipurpose and fairly light solution to the proposed issue. That said over the couple dozen critters I've shot in the last few years none of them needed any sort of cordage (let alone a mechanical advantage) including a bull elk on a fairly steep slope, there wasn't a tree around to even consider pulling against I just cut the meat off it and put into game bags. Back at camp meat isn't getting left unattended for long so hanging off low branches (via the game bag cordage) or placing bags on low branches keeps the air circulating fine while its getting packed out. IF there was active predators around and continued hunting then I'd want them hunt high at camp till it was packed out but that's about it. Point of this is I hope the newer folks aren't getting the wrong impression you HAVE to hang stuff up high all the time or that you need something hung to cut it up or such, gutless on the ground is a breeze.

For a backpack hunt there is zero way I'd carry any of the pulleys being discussed here, at most a couple carabiners, I do obviously carry some cordage but don't actually use it often. Lotta what if weight can end up in your pack if you let it. Making a spread sheet with all your gear weighed out and adding/removing items from the packed quantity column shines a light on all this fast if you're trying to keep your pack weight reasonable.

It's one thing to hoist 50-120 pounds of meat into a tree. Quite another thing to pull a 600-1600 pound animal out of a bad spot....and maybe up-grade. Friction can be a monster to overcome. Selecting a pulling rig has to account for your possible uses and weight loads. It matters if you'll be using it by yourself, or with help from a partner. And I also think the truth is that most efforts to pull entire animals around often involve non-linear rigging. It's not often that you'll have a great anchor in the perfect place, along with an obstruction-free pull zone. For that reason I don't consider a pulling system to be complete without having some way to anchor it, in the event there are no natural anchors available.

xo4bDMel.jpg

Another thing to consider when working alone is the need to hold the load weight at various points while getting a new handhold, or stopping to rest. Say you're pulling an actual 600 pound load uphill out of a nasty trench. Using a 4-pulley rig you'll be exerting 75 pounds of force to do the work. You'll find it almost impossible to pause and re-grip the rope without tying it off or sustaining a backslide of the load. Using some type of locking pulley or other device is necessary. With a 4-pulley rig you'll move the load 1 foot for every 4 feet of rope pulled. It takes a lot of rope or cordage to move a load 20 linear feet using a 4-pulley rig.

4trtOJ3l.jpg

Don't try to cut corners on rope or cordage strength. Buy rope which can handle the entire maximum load. Paracord may technically work, but in my opinion it's very poor for pulling due to stretch and deformity. Don't forget that friction in your system will decrease efficiency and increase your workload. Smaller pulleys, poor or no bushings and using carabiners in place of pulleys will all increase friction. Probably not a big deal hoisting meat bags. Definitely bad when tugging a bull out of a hole.

The pictures above involved me needing to move a large bull (moose) away from the edge of a 6' deep ditch. I couldn't roll him over for butchering until doing that move. I was alone and glad I had the right gear for the job. NO; it's not lightweight but I'm assured it's up to the task. Some pieces I like....

zYWCXfwl.jpg

jaQYT2zl.jpg

uz1m812l.jpg

Wrench

WKR
Learn how to set a prusik and when and where to use it. Doing so will allow you to use a single rig point to hoist and then transfer the load to the prusik. The prusik can be one of the handiest loops you'll have.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Oh I completely grant you moose hunting muskeg and such would require different gear and it’s not light weight stuff you take back packing. Different realm.

Same deal in that I almost needed to rappel off a cliff band for a sheep a couple weeks ago, I had the proper rope and equipment to do so but it was in the truck just in case not in my pack daily along with other what if gear thus the stuff doesn’t necessarily need to be ultra light if not carried around and more task specific and heavier duty. Its just like pulley systems needing notable mechanical advantage the new hunted shouldn’t get the wrong impression, it’s the exception type of hunt not the norm that would require going off a cliff.

Wondering if anyone has tried these? Obviously it won’t hoist a whole elk, but I was thinking they could be useful in holding a leg/quarter out of the way while working on skinning or quartering when you are solo.

https://packapull.com

I took one of these on an unguided moose hunt in ALaska last fall. A moose quarter did strain it, but it still worked really well to hang our meat. It is going to be awesome for elk, and it's VERY lightweight. Much better than a do it yourself option. I recommend it.

geebee

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good ideas here, Don't forget a lighter and much stronger solution to paracord is Amsteel.. 3/16 Amsteel is rated for min 4,900lbs.

The nicest thing for me about building my own pulling kit is the ability to select the exact components I need and build it for versatility. I can create a 2, 3 or 4 pulley rig depending upon what I need. I can place a locking pulley or aluminum CamJam (check them out) where I need to help me manage the load without losing it.

f55UxKzl.jpg

The plastic Petzl Ultralegere pulley is so lightweight it's crazy, yet it can tolerate a lot of load. I can take 4 of them and make a pulling rig using nothing more than some rope. Putting them on a carabiner works like magic. I'm surprised more guys don't carry and use them.

JiGce1Fl.jpg

uz1m812l.jpg

How so? Clipping a couple carabiners is simple, light, multipurpose and functional. So how does that become much worse as implied (in your first post?)?
Not to Answer for them... and in regards to if it’s better or not, I’ll leave that to each of their own depending on the intended purpose.
Pack-A-Pull will reduce the amount of cord needed For hanging mutiple loads since it turns 1 set of hardware into 2 hoists with 1 mainline in the tree. So reduces weight and bulk from less cord. Plus, you only have to find one place to hang it. Oh and it comes with a throw bag to get hung in the tree without throwing the hardware, but that’s minor.
Very universal too. If you want a single pulley, 2 pulleys, 3 or 4 it can all be done and either bought together or separate. A single micro pulley by itself works a lot like a carabiner with a pulley sheave that doesn’t slide around on you, but smaller and weighs less than an ounce.
Anyone mention all this hardware (all 4 pulleys) fits in the palm of your hand.
Again, there are many ways of doing it. Find what works for you and go with it. Everyone’s applications are not the same. And no, a block and tackle is not necessary for all types of big game hunting. But there are circumstances that a block and tackle is very helpful. Pack-A-Pull was designed to be ultralight to have in your pack and duty enough for the intended job. For more info check out the website.F4359B72-525D-4119-B675-51D8B9490AA6.jpeg

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You can hang multi carabiners to different loads on a single main line also, nothing unique there.

Maybe I am reading these in the wrong tone but some of the responses seem like the infomercial folks hacking at something with the off brand knife and then showing human ability with the advertised ones... Maybe the package is convenient to some and that is fine, I just want to be transparent to the newer hunters out there.

OP
J

Jwukie

FNG
Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up picking one up but will probably give some of the other recommendations a try and see what I like best.

Some good ideas. I planned to make a better portable deer hoist for skinning, gutting, and quartering. The cheap ones at the box stores suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk