Lightweight Block and Tackle

Beendare

WKR
I use those plastic wheels on a couple carabiners in Kevins picture....almost no friction and it will pull more weight than the cheap Home Depot para cord will hold.....don't ask how I know this. /grin

OP
J

Jwukie

FNG
For guys that have the pack it, what rope are you using? 550 cord?

I picked up the 1/8” Dyneema cord. It has twice the tensile strength of 550 cord with a minimal weight increase (I think it was like 2oz for 100ft). Just got the whole setup this year so haven’t had a chance to try it yet though.

For guys that have the pack it, what rope are you using? 550 cord?
Assuming you mean Pack-A-Pull... 7/64” Dyneema for the mainline in the tree is recommended. It’s rated at 1600lbs which is about 320lb safe working load limit and this cord does not stretch. Mil-Spec 550 Paracord is typically sufficient for the lifting lines, which is the sections over the pulleys. Paracord will stretch a lot and can break at about 110lbs. But using it over the pulleys works because you pull the stretch out and this section sees less weight per section. Hope that helps. Feel free to message me if you have other questions or need further explanation.

Last edited:
fwiw: The tiny diameter Dyneema (and other super strong synthetic) cords have more than enough linear strength for pulling loads. Larger 1/4 or 5/16 inch stuff will winch a truck up a mountain. The tiny diameter lines may present some issues to your hands when pulling a heavy load. The example would be a 500 pound load (say elk) being pulled by a 4 pulley rig. You'd be physically pulling about 63 pounds of reduced weight which any of us can do. But try doing it with 1/8" cord grasped in your hand. The small diameter provides very little grip contact, and has a tendency to 'cut in' to hands or gloves. I'm NOT advising against it; but saying to be aware of it if you need to pull larger loads.

I love 550 cord but reject it for all but the simplest of pulling work. It has a lot of stretch and the sheath is not very durable against abrasion. I like it for tying off loads, hanging, etc....but not for much dynamic uses. I've seen it break often enough to just avoid it.

fwiw: The tiny diameter Dyneema (and other super strong synthetic) cords have more than enough linear strength for pulling loads. Larger 1/4 or 5/16 inch stuff will winch a truck up a mountain. The tiny diameter lines may present some issues to your hands when pulling a heavy load. The example would be a 500 pound load (say elk) being pulled by a 4 pulley rig. You'd be physically pulling about 63 pounds of reduced weight which any of us can do. But try doing it with 1/8" cord grasped in your hand. The small diameter provides very little grip contact, and has a tendency to 'cut in' to hands or gloves. I'm NOT advising against it; but saying to be aware of it if you need to pull larger loads.

I love 550 cord but reject it for all but the simplest of pulling work. It has a lot of stretch and the sheath is not very durable against abrasion. I like it for tying off loads, hanging, etc....but not for much dynamic uses. I've seen it break often enough to just avoid it.
Key to pulling hard on the small diameter cord is to use a sturdy stick as a T handle. Just wrap the cord around it a few times and hold where the cord is wrapped. Works amazing and so simple.

mtsrunner

FNG
Here is the kit I have put together for my needs. I completely butcher my deer once I get to them and pack out the de-boned meat. I hunt in the mountains of Western NC, so my needs in a kit are probably different than many on this forum. Anyway, I hope this at least helps others refine their own kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is the kit I have put together for my needs. I completely butcher my deer once I get to them and pack out the de-boned meat. I hunt in the mountains of Western NC, so my needs in a kit are probably different than many on this forum. Anyway, I hope this at least helps others refine their own kit.

I need a complete parts list, minus the dyna Glide please

mtsrunner

FNG
I need a complete parts list, minus the dyna Glide please

Here you go

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/harken--16mm-double-block--190613

^^^ X2 on the micro double pulley

PARACORD PLANET Center Release Slip Lock (CSL) - Cord End Lock Toggle Stopper - No-Spring Design https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C25PFGL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_StsgEb8GKEX1A

I can’t remember where I got the mesh bag.

Hope that helps. It’s not cheap, but it works very well.

I think DanO at Eastern Woods Outdoors is putting together a kit with all of the components.

I tried some even lighter weight versions using Ronstan shocks, but they didn’t work as well.

mtsrunner

FNG
Thank you for the parts list and links.

No problem. I think DanO at Eastern Woods Outdoors is finalizing a complete kit that will be available at doublesteps.com. He can probably offer the kit cheaper than we can put it together individually. I think he will be using the lighter Harken micro pulleys, too.

Marble

WKR
I have several sets that we built ourselves. We use 3 wheel sailing pullies, 550 cord and some rop that hold somewhere around 750 to 1000 pounds. Probably weighs a pound and a half, maybe a pound. I can put an entire elk ina tree by myself. I hang them between two trees like a hammock.

Costs about $100 in parts to put together.

mtsrunner

FNG
I have several sets that we built ourselves. We use 3 wheel sailing pullies, 550 cord and some rop that hold somewhere around 750 to 1000 pounds. Probably weighs a pound and a half, maybe a pound. I can put an entire elk ina tree by myself. I hang them between two trees like a hammock.

Costs about $100 in parts to put together.

Nice. My rig is good for our little southern white tails. Don’t think mine would be robust enough for the wapiti.

16Bore

WKR
I gotta say seems like some of this is making it overly complicated. I pointed about the aluminum carabiners as a low cost multipurpose and fairly light solution to the proposed issue. That said over the couple dozen critters I've shot in the last few years none of them needed any sort of cordage (let alone a mechanical advantage) including a bull elk on a fairly steep slope, there wasn't a tree around to even consider pulling against I just cut the meat off it and put into game bags. Back at camp meat isn't getting left unattended for long so hanging off low branches (via the game bag cordage) or placing bags on low branches keeps the air circulating fine while its getting packed out. IF there was active predators around and continued hunting then I'd want them hunt high at camp till it was packed out but that's about it. Point of this is I hope the newer folks aren't getting the wrong impression you HAVE to hang stuff up high all the time or that you need something hung to cut it up or such, gutless on the ground is a breeze.

For a backpack hunt there is zero way I'd carry any of the pulleys being discussed here, at most a couple carabiners, I do obviously carry some cordage but don't actually use it often. Lotta what if weight can end up in your pack if you let it. Making a spread sheet with all your gear weighed out and adding/removing items from the packed quantity column shines a light on all this fast if you're trying to keep your pack weight reasonable.

A few carabiners don’t weigh much at all and no sense in making it complicated.

Maybe too late for that though....

mtsrunner

FNG

Simple is good. I agree. However, just carrying “a few carabiners” is going to weigh more than the whole kit I posted and not really add any advantage that you couldn’t accomplish with rope and a truckers hitch (which is what I used to use to hang deer and works fine,just not as easy as my method).

mtsrunner

FNG

I do use lighterpack app for backpacking. I haven’t used it for hunting, but I think I will do that. My DIY kit that I posted above will stay in the pack for sure, though. It’s lighter than two cheap unrated carabiners. I could ditch the 7 gram toggle and use something else in my pack, I guess. I could also use my bow pull up rope/ throw line instead of the 11 grams of Dynaglide in my kit. That would get my whole kit under 3 ounces (saving 18 grams). And of course would still fit in the watch pocket of my wife’s skinny jeans.
Anyway, it works for me hunting eastern whitetails. I know this forum is mainly western pack hunting, so my ides might not be relevant to most on here.

CiK01

WKR
Gutless method on the ground requires no carabiners, rope or pulleys.

All this seems too complicated for eastern and western breakdown of an animal. If we are talking bear bag or getting meat up from critters, then (y).