Lightest reliable pic rings?

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
I have thought for a long while, why doesn’t any manufacturer do exactly this?
Doubt they make one for a Kimber and they don't list any on their website, but for general knowledge I know Badger Ordnance made one for GA Precision, GAP called it their non-typical rail. 15 MOA. I could probably drum up a picture as I have a couple somewhere. Mounts on the GAP Templar action which was made by Defiance.

Last edited:

randy66

FNG
It has more to do with action length and rail height. The 3-10 shv is a really short scope and gets tricky on a long action. The objective and the power ring can hit the pic base. I have a 3-10 shv on a sauer 100 (similar to tikka they are all built on a long action) and had to experiment to get it just right. Using Burris xtr two piece bases. Seekins lows were too low and the scope contacted the pic base. Warne mountain tech rings solved it. Have been very happy with this setup.
I know this is old but do you happen to have a picture of the scope/base/ring combo on your Sauer 100? I have the same rifle and ended up going with a warne rail and vortex pros to mount the accu point. Thank you.

I know this is old but do you happen to have a picture of the scope/base/ring combo on your Sauer 100? I have the same rifle and ended up going with a warne rail and vortex pros to mount the accu point. Thank you.
I've run into this issue with the power rings on the aforementioned SHV and other scopes. To avoid going higher, I take a belt sander and cut a groove in the rear base/rail. If anyone is curious, I can post up a couple of pics later.

Last edited:

JFK

WKR

I’m not home to take a picture of the gun but have a few pictures that might help.

Burris two piece bases are bedded to action. They weren’t bedded originally, and I had no issues. I had the gun and bases cerakote so decided to bed them as insurance.

Warne mountain tech lows.

As I said, seekins lows didn’t work. Higher profile full length pic bases presented problems with contacting the power ring or ocular with any small movement fore and aft. With my current setup you can see there isn’t a ton of ability to adjust, but it just so happens that I’m very happy with where the scope lands. These shv’s are very easy to get behind. I’ve had this setup for a few years now and no issues with zero retention.

Attachments

• 78045E05-8338-4626-9CED-E553CB136B98.jpeg
    78045E05-8338-4626-9CED-E553CB136B98.jpeg
    330.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 9C489881-B478-450A-8AC2-F9B23C471070.jpeg
    9C489881-B478-450A-8AC2-F9B23C471070.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 42

randy66

FNG
I’m not home to take a picture of the gun but have a few pictures that might help.

Burris two piece bases are bedded to action. They weren’t bedded originally, and I had no issues. I had the gun and bases cerakote so decided to bed them as insurance.

Warne mountain tech lows.

As I said, seekins lows didn’t work. Higher profile full length pic bases presented problems with contacting the power ring or ocular with any small movement fore and aft. With my current setup you can see there isn’t a ton of ability to adjust, but it just so happens that I’m very happy with where the scope lands. These shv’s are very easy to get behind. I’ve had this setup for a few years now and no issues with zero retention.
Nice looking rig, did you paint that stock? I ended up taking an inch of mine to shorten the LOP. I like that color....

JFK

WKR
Nice looking rig, did you paint that stock? I ended up taking an inch of mine to shorten the LOP. I like that color....

Appreciate the compliment. I did paint the stock. Nothing crazy. Just some Home Depot spray paint. Believe it was two colors and laid down a very thin coat of the fine texture paint as well. If I remember correctly I prepped it, then did a coat of khaki, then the texture, then alternated VERY thin coats, more like a mist, of the khaki and OD green till I got something I liked. Few thin coats of matte clear to finish it off and left it in a hot garage for a week to cure. It’s held up great.

Thankfully the longer lop fits me as I’m tall. Can see how it would feel a bit long for others though.

I’m ditching talleys on a few rifles and wondering who makes a good reliable pic ring that isn’t overly heavy. I realize a ring/rail is going to be heavier than a talley lightweight ring/base setup.

Nightforce? Warne?

Thank you!

Haven't read any of the other posts but I run Leupold Backcountry on several rifles.