Lighter recoiling elk rifle

BCD

WKR

mtnbound

WKR
Thanks for the help guys. One question: why the 6cm over the 6.5 cm? They seem similar, u just have the possibility of using heavier bullets with the 6.5. Thanks again guys

With the increased velocity of the 6CM it has better terminal performance than the 6.5CM and with its lighter recoil it easier to shoot.

OP
S

slamdmini

FNG
Thank you for the help guys. I'm getting my wife a 6.5 creedmore. Maybe I'll let my dad shoot it and see what he thinks.

A-Brakke

FNG
My dad is looking to get a new rifle for elk. He's in his seventies now and would like a rifle/cartridge that is lighter recoiling but still good on elk. To give a bit of context he can shoot a .270 fine but a 30-06 is too much. He's looking for a couple things:
-Lighter on recoil
-Not too heavy so he can still carry it in the mountains
-threaded so he can use a suppressor.
Any suggestions would be great. Thanks guys

My father is mid 60’s, and my
Nephew is 11. They are both in the same boat. We punch our tags on Elk, Deer, and Antelope out here in Montana every year on public land.

That said, the last two years all animals have been taken with a 6.5cm and hand loaded 143g ELDX.

Those included 3 Elk, 4 bucks, 2 does, and 2 antelope bucks. All were single shot kills with next to no tracking jobs.

Most important factor is going to be knowing your capabilities and a good bullet. Personally we don’t shoot game over 400yds so the 6.5cm is a perfect do i
143g ELDX, 127g LRX, or 140g Partition….all will kill everything except your fathers shoulder.