Lifetime License

MNGrouser

FNG
I didn't want to hijack the AZ new resident thread but @CorbLand 's reply got me wondering. How many of you (us) have any type of lifetime license? Anyone ever regretted getting one? Mine has a pretty good backstory which I may have told here before.

I wanted to buy a lifetime license for years in Minnesota. However, just out of college, without much disposable income, the wife always put the kibosh on it. She thought we were better off nickel & diming it every year. Fast-forward to when she left me. We were just a couple months into the divorce when I was at fishing camp with my dad and his buddy. We got a little too deep into our respective bottles of spirits and I asked for their "wisdom" on my wedding ring. (I still hadn't taken it off; I guess the vows meant more to me than her.) I mentioned that I should probably quit wearing it but didn't know what to do with it. Shove it in a sock drawer for my niece and nephew to sell after I'm gone? The way the marriage ended it seemed like there was a bad enough history that no one would want it.

My dad's buddy suggested I sell it. Use the money on something I would have forever. Something the ex hadn't let me get but that I would enjoy and think about getting out of a bad marriage every time I used it. I commented that, for a non-hunter, it sure sounded like he was describing a gun. When we got back to the States I took the ring to a jeweler to be melted down for it's scrap value.

When I had the check in hand I almost did buy that gun. Instead I remembered that a lifetime license was something else she had been against. I had just enough money for a Minnesota lifetime sportsman's license. Every year my fishing, small game and trapping licenses are covered. I joke that I'm waiting to see if "till death do us part" means more to the State of Minnesota than it did to her. The nice part is that, even if I move out of state, I can still get a free license any year I want to come back to MN.

My only regret is that I didn't also get her ring to melt down too. Might have scored enough to get the lifetime MN white-tail deer license as well.

TheTone

WKR
I meant to get myself one for a long time but I’m running out of time for it to make sense monetarily. My son that is less than 3 has one already. I joke with my wife that if he decides he doesn’t want to hunt or fish by the time he is 20 I’ll make him pay me back with interest

KenLee

WKR
Always seemed like a bad deal for me.
Parents didn't think I'd live to age 20.
At age 20, I didn't think I'd see 40.
Now at 56, I still doubt I'll see past 60.
Live like you'll be dead soon seems to work out OK though

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll say I didn't get one for Utah and now those guys get a deer tag every year and I can only draw one every couple years. Some lifetime licenses put you in different draw category even if you move. No doubt it would be a consideration if the opportunity is ever presented to me again.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
I’ve always thought if you live in a state that has one it is always worth getting if you like the hunting there, I have one for KS that to me will pay off once I no longer live here yet can still get tags like a resident and put in for draws only residents can apply for. Each state will be different, always worth considering.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve always thought if you live in a state that has one it is always worth getting if you like the hunting there, I have one for KS that to me will pay off once I no longer live here yet can still get tags like a resident and put in for draws only residents can apply for. Each state will be different, always worth considering.
See I should done that when I was stationed at Ft. Riley I would be reaping the rewards for the last 20 years.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Yep, Michigan had one for a short time when I was a teenager but every penny was for necessities and that was a luxury. Have thought often about moving to AZ g do or a year just yo get that license! Definitely a couple regrets.

Sooner

Lil-Rokslider
I have mine in Ok. Bought my sons when he was 3 and just bought my others sons. He just turned 9 months old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought mine with $200 sawmill dollars ...that was 41 years ago
Bought both my sons theirs before they turned 1 year old.
It's a no brainer for young kids. plus it takes the whole "damn, I gotta go buy a license" excuse away from people who might be inclined to take them hunting or fishing.

My parents gave me one for my 21st Birthday. Lifetime fishing, small game, big game (and archery?) for New York. This was back in 1994, just a few years before I moved out West, were I've been ever since. It was one of the most memorable gifts I've ever been given, even though I don't use it. When I retire and can travel more, I'll be taking advantage of it.

With that... when I'd been in Missoula long enough, I was going to buy a resident Montana license. In going over their regulations, it mentions that you cannot have a resident license if you posses a residence license in another state. Which makes sense, because I know falsifying residency in western states for tags is a 'thing', or was. But what about these Lifetime License situations?

Being the Boy Scout that I am, I called the office in Helena to explain my situation, all while keeping myself anonymous (I'm a Scout, but I'm not stupid). When I called back days later after they tacked down some guidance, I was told technically it IS against MT state laws. However the tone was one that communicated "Yeah, technically this is a violation, but... tracking YOU down is not a priority".

I then called the DEC in Albany to explain what happened. Ended up talking to some brass in the licensing bureau who was clearly frustrated for me, sounds like I wasn't the first to call about this scenario. He basically stated that they are never going to know and they are incorrect in interpreting what Lifetime License privileges mean for New York. He ended the conversation saying "We got to get our solicitors involved in this".

Anyway, I just bought the MT resident license, and other states where I've lived since, and haven't had a problem.

rclouse79

WKR
I did it when I left AZ. I still have to pay out of state if I draw a tag but I can put in or buy points every year without having to spring for an out of state license. I have only been back once in nine years but am planning to go back soon.

Last edited:

AZ8

WKR
I got tired of buying a license every year. So one day, I said F* it, and bought the hunting and fishing combo.

It’s not cheap, but the convenience is well worth the price tag. It’s so nice not having to worry about buying a license every year.

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
I bought one for KS and didn't look back. I live in KC across the border now and still reap the benefits of being able to apply for resident tags. I'll eventually move back to the KS side, but it's nice being able to hunt MO whitetails a couple weeks before going out west for muleys in KS

JeffP_Or

WKR
I picked one up in Texas - it is good whether a resident or non-resident. Ended up moving after college. I hunted big game in Texas three or four times after moving and it payed for itself. Not sure what costs are now but it was well worth it in the 80's and I suspect currently as well as NR fees continue to rise.
The only drawback to some states is whether tags gets included or whether those go as add-ons for another fee.
I do recall it was quite the cash outlay for a broke high-schooler/college kid.

Cubby

WKR
Just out of curiosity, what does those lifetime tags cost? Montana doesn't offer those is why I ask

Weldor

WKR
if you are over 62, I believe AZ. is $457. If you are younger it starts about a grand and drops as you get older.